User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Adding an 8.1L section?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would use an 8.1 forum everyday, I already do. I have one also in a 2001 Silverado. There isn't a 8.1 specific forum on the net. The current 8.1 hub is the "GM Gassers" forum at www.DieselPlace.com but it also includes any gas fuel GM vehilce. But there's also disbanded chatter here, and at PerformanceTrucks, Gm-Trucks.com, and www.offshoreonly.com. I think any GM 8.1 forum would bring more people and ideas together than it would separate. I will conciede that it might make more sence and be better placed in PerformanceTrucks.

Other facts about the L18 that put it in the LS family are:
Firing order was changed to LS.
Cylinder heads were made with symmetrical spaced, cathedral shaped, intake ports and D shaped exhaust.
All dimensions and threads are metric, screw in "freeze plugs".
18 head bolts, more than older BBC designs.
The ignition system includes a crankshaft sensor with a rear crank mounted reluctor ring. Front cover mounted camshaft sensor. Eight vavle cover mounted ignition coils. Just like Gen III SB. No distributor at all.
Dry, one piece intake manifold without water passages and front center mounted LS spec throttle body.
Internal PCV system.
LS/GenIII type engine control and programming. I put my trucks OEM 80mm MAF on our Firehawk when I found a Granetelli ported unit for the truck on Ebay. Works great with minor programming like a Z06 unit.

This engine will haul **** or anything else you want it too. With minor mods my 7000 lbs. crew cab 4x4 HD runs low 15's, maybe high 14's. I've got a warchest full of hard parts to get me knocking on the 12's to put on sometime this summer. Shared and central tech would be nice.

Vernon
Old 05-16-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second the motion. Would love to see an 8.1L specific forum.

Quick Reply: Adding an 8.1L section?