Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

The guy at autozone

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SoCal WS6
I went to the AutoZone in Mira Loma yesterday & left pissed off. I was told that they do not loan Code Readers anymore. The guy (dumbass) behind the counter said it was because California passed a law that they couldn't do it anymore.

So why I was there I thought I would pick up some Spline Drive Lug Nuts for my new Weld racing Wheels. I couldn't remember the thread measurement that I needed (I know my fault)...so I asked the same guy (still a dumbass). He asked if I was talking about the studs, I said no LUG NUTS (I said it slow so he could understand). He then asked me if my car had a V6 or a V8 Then he asked me if it was for the stock wheels. I told him no they are for after market wheels, he then replied that I needed to go to a wheel shop because they only sell parts for stock cars. I told him that it didn't matter if it was stock or custom the thread pattern was still the same. He said no it won't be because it is not stock... I replied I am not changing the studs only the style of LUG NUT. He gave me a blank look, and said he couldn't help me.

I walked out swearing & telling everybody in the store they are buying parts from morons.
Well hes right about the code reader and the only spline drive lug nuts auto zone sells are a set usually on isle 2. Just because he works at Autozone doesnt mean he knows everything.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe u should have gone to Kragen....
Old 10-19-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
Just because he works at Autozone doesnt mean he knows everything.
Really!?! They could have fooled me with their incompetent behavior on many separate occasions... lol
Old 10-19-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SoCal WS6
I went to the AutoZone in Mira Loma yesterday & left pissed off. I was told that they do not loan Code Readers anymore. The guy (dumbass) behind the counter said it was because California passed a law that they couldn't do it anymore.

So why I was there I thought I would pick up some Spline Drive Lug Nuts for my new Weld racing Wheels. I couldn't remember the thread measurement that I needed (I know my fault)...so I asked the same guy (still a dumbass). He asked if I was talking about the studs, I said no LUG NUTS (I said it slow so he could understand). He then asked me if my car had a V6 or a V8 Then he asked me if it was for the stock wheels. I told him no they are for after market wheels, he then replied that I needed to go to a wheel shop because they only sell parts for stock cars. I told him that it didn't matter if it was stock or custom the thread pattern was still the same. He said no it won't be because it is not stock... I replied I am not changing the studs only the style of LUG NUT. He gave me a blank look, and said he couldn't help me.

I walked out swearing & telling everybody in the store they are buying parts from morons.
dude is that your emblem in your sig? looks badass!! where did u get it at? and do they have some custom ones for c5's too?
Old 10-19-2008, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99bowtieZ
Really!?! They could have fooled me with their incompetent behavior on many separate occasions... lol
yeah like when i went in to ask for a new air filter wich they didnt have anyways and asked me...." is it a v8 or v6?"....ME :wtf are u serious?
Old 10-19-2008, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99bowtieZ
Well alot of them are dumbasses but not ALL of them

Pay guys a hair above min wage and thats what you get.I was offered $8 to be a manager there...come on, $1 above min wage for a manager!?! I left the next day.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

joshie - you gotta find that guy with the v6 bird for me. i need something to put this sweet spoiler on.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
joshie - you gotta find that guy with the v6 bird for me. i need something to put this sweet spoiler on.
At least that way when it breaks down they dont have to bend over to push it
Old 10-20-2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
No code readers lended anywhere now. Dealers here were using them to clear codes on dealer cars so they stopped lending them out.
....? Why would a dealership need to go to autozone to borrow a code reader...
Old 10-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
At least that way when it breaks down they dont have to bend over to push it
holly ****, that **** is hidious.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 60ftkiller
....? Why would a dealership need to go to autozone to borrow a code reader...
Thats what the manager told us... trust me if you have seen some of the local work around here in KY you would understand.

Maybe it was an excuse? lol.. idk man
Old 10-21-2008, 03:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZexGX
He works at Autozone. Do you think he can actually afford a ram air hood??
I work at Autozone and go there in my 03 Cobra. So what? lol. They dont pay us THAT bad. As for the code readers,we do not lend them out anymore ...smaller businesses and dealerships sued the corporation for it. Their defense was that "We are not certified technicians",wierd considering many Autozone employees are ASE certified. Its bullshit,that is a big help to people in fixing their vehicles...it is like telling you ,HEY you can not give your neighbor have a cup of sugar because your not a licensed Baker. In conclusion all the other businesses are pissed because their charge you to do what a child could,and we lend them for free.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
No code readers lended anywhere now. Dealers here were using them to clear codes on dealer cars so they stopped lending them out.

BTW there is a v6er here that has those 3m scoops. They want 11k for a 120k mile riced out bird.
Ive seen an SS over here too. Fake vents on an SS hood. What the hell are some guys thinking? When Im bored I buy **** at autozone too but its stuff like carwash stuff, oil, cleaners etc... not all that stick on bs. If its your friend tell him something guys! Intervention!
Old 10-21-2008, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Omega47
They dont pay us THAT bad.
Must be different pay scale where you are...I was making $.50 over min wage as a red shirt and was offered a $.75 raise to become a manager. One of the managers at the time made $3 more per hour when he was 17 working at IN n Out.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Teching In

As for the code readers,we do not lend them out anymore ...smaller businesses and dealerships sued the corporation for it. Their defense was that "We are not certified technicians",wierd considering many Autozone employees are ASE certified. Its bullshit,that is a big help to people in fixing their vehicles...it is like telling you ,HEY you can not give your neighbor have a cup of sugar because your not a licensed Baker. In conclusion all the other businesses are pissed because their charge you to do what a child could,and we lend them for free.
That's what I heard, too. It's stupid. They lend you the tool. You do the scan. Last I checked, you didn't have to be a licensed technician to lend someone a tool that they specifically ask for.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by erasedgod
That's what I heard, too. It's stupid. They lend you the tool. You do the scan. Last I checked, you didn't have to be a licensed technician to lend someone a tool that they specifically ask for.
It was not only that. It came fromt he fact that,I would loan you the tool,you scan the car and come to me. I go on my computer telling you what the code means and what part is necessary to replace and fix the problem. THAT is what they mostly got pissed about. Not only did they lose money because we lent the tool,but because we could sell you the part to fix the problem.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Teching In

It was not only that. It came from the fact that,I would loan you the tool,you scan the car and come to me. I go on my computer telling you what the code means and what part is necessary to replace and fix the problem. THAT is what they mostly got pissed about. Not only did they lose money because we lent the tool,but because we could sell you the part to fix the problem.
Ugh, . To hell with them. I bought a scanner from Auto Zone and look up codes online. Then I'll buy parts where I can. I refuse to pay for something so simple.

Whenever I scanned my car at AZ, I never even mentioned the codes to the employees. I just jotted them down and went back to my computer.

Oh well.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good "insider" info Omega.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Pix or baby blacktip shark Jesus dies.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice