Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Cali DMV question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cali DMV question

I have a friend that had a 2004 Acura RSX type-s that was suposibly totaled a couple years ago when the driver wrecked the car they just left it on the side of the road and went home (DUI) anyway insurance never covered it cause no police report was made and he has been paying it off. The car disappeared the day after the wreck and he has no clue where it went (impounded or someone has been storing the car) well he just found out that the car was regestered this past week not in his name but thats all the information that the DMV would release. My question is that if the car was totaled without insurance paying it of is it possible for someone else to regester the car with a lien still on the title and if so would they get a salvage title to do that. Hate to see him get screwed on a car that he doesn't have and have to pay for it. (Possibility that his ex-wife might be doing something fishy)
Old 10-25-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

It could also have been towed and registered w/ a Lien title, the more than likely scenario IMHO.

Someone could have also claimed it under that law that "something is automatically yours if it's on your property long enough", It has been 2yrs after all.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

With a lien title does that release the original purchacer from the lien?
Old 10-25-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Not sure that is one of those wierd things that hardly ever happens. I would look up the tow sales laws to see if they site anything adressing that.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

no, that is not allowed, if the car was towed, the tow company has to have records of reaching and talking to the owner of the vehicle telling him about the situation, their is no way that car can be registered without him relasing the vehicle to the person registering it, someone stole that car, and you friend should call the police asap.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by camarossls12001
With a lien title does that release the original purchacer from the lien?
only if the tow company has proof that they contacted the owner several times, and the owner cannot or will not come up with the collaterol to get the car out of the tow yard or the impound yard, someone stole this car and was just waiting until it seemed like a good time
Old 10-25-2008, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

also their is nothing his ex wife could do unless her name is on the title,
Old 10-25-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if a tow company picked it up then auctioned it to get back the money they had into it. I wouldnt think they could do that without contacting the owner but they could have not and said they did.

Your friend needs to go down to the police station and speak with an officer about it, and dont leave the drunk part out of it or he will get nothing when his story doesnt add up.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
I wonder if a tow company picked it up then auctioned it to get back the money they had into it. I wouldnt think they could do that without contacting the owner but they could have not and said they did.

Your friend needs to go down to the police station and speak with an officer about it, and dont leave the drunk part out of it or he will get nothing when his story doesnt add up.
good advice ryan
Old 10-25-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
good advice ryan
lol...best friends a cop and had to work the desk taking reports when he started out and would always catch people telling lies or leaving shi* out and would refuse to help them until they told the truth.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

wait so he never filed a report 2 years ago?
Old 10-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

Friend of mine owns a tow company here in Ca., the car was proabably picked up as an abandoned vehicle. A notice is then sent certified mail to both the lien holder and the registered owner. If no one claims the vehicle by the due date the car is forfited and is then sold to highest bidder to cover the cost of storage. Unfortuantly your buddy is still on the hook for the loan on the car. He may want to run a carfax report on the car it might tell him which tow company sold the vehicle, if not it will tell which city if its a smaller community there might not be that many tow companies in town.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

if he had ins, why didnt he report it stolen and have the ins pay it off
Old 10-25-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98BlackT/A
Friend of mine owns a tow company here in Ca., the car was proabably picked up as an abandoned vehicle. A notice is then sent certified mail to both the lien holder and the registered owner. If no one claims the vehicle by the due date the car is forfited and is then sold to highest bidder to cover the cost of storage.
i thought figured something like that, good info
Old 10-25-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

I like Raptors idea.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
also their is nothing his ex wife could do unless her name is on the title,
Or it was contained in their divorce decree.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camarossls12001
I have a friend that had a 2004 Acura RSX type-s that was suposibly totaled a couple years ago when the driver wrecked the car they just left it on the side of the road and went home (DUI) anyway insurance never covered it cause no police report was made and he has been paying it off. The car disappeared the day after the wreck and he has no clue where it went (impounded or someone has been storing the car) well he just found out that the car was regestered this past week not in his name but thats all the information that the DMV would release. My question is that if the car was totaled without insurance paying it of is it possible for someone else to regester the car with a lien still on the title and if so would they get a salvage title to do that. Hate to see him get screwed on a car that he doesn't have and have to pay for it. (Possibility that his ex-wife might be doing something fishy)
Your whole story sounds flawed, as if you weren't told the whole truth.

If I understood correctly, your friend's car was wrecked and left on the side of the road. It "disappeared" the following day, yet your friend never filed a police report, never looked for the vehicle, yet still made his monthly payments on the car loan/lein. Now, years later, it's being registered by someone else.

It doesn't pass the sniff test.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Or it was contained in their divorce decree.
she bought the car and put his name on it so when they got divorced they split the remaining balance on the loan
Old 10-27-2008, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Your whole story sounds flawed, as if you weren't told the whole truth.

If I understood correctly, your friend's car was wrecked and left on the side of the road. It "disappeared" the following day, yet your friend never filed a police report, never looked for the vehicle, yet still made his monthly payments on the car loan/lein. Now, years later, it's being registered by someone else.

It doesn't pass the sniff test.
She was driving when this happend and I believe they tryed to get ins to cover it but went about it the wrong way I would have claimed the stolen car story
Old 10-28-2008, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

He wrecked his ****. Left it. Towing company got it. Lien Saled it for towing/storage. Lien Holder said **** it, it's wrecked. Tow guys sold. New guy Owns it legit. Your buddy OWES the payment still.

Quick Reply: Cali DMV question