Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Steering Rack Install Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering Rack Install Problem

I spun out on the freeway and hit my LF wheel on a curb. This bent my tie rod and cracked my rack and pinion in half. I got a new rack from autozone and can't get it in. The steering linkage hits the headers just enough that I can't put it back together.

Can the new rack be just a little different to cause this? I am working in a apatment parking lot so I don't have a lot of tools or space. Will I have to take off the headers to make a dent in the tube that is hitting the steering?

Any help is appeciated.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pictures always help.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

i bet you didnt seat the linkage all the way down on the shaft poking out of the rack. basically you need to pry that steering linkage apart with the little bolt out and then seat it on the rack completely then put the bolt back in and tighten it till the little gap closes.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
i bet you didnt seat the linkage all the way down on the shaft poking out of the rack. basically you need to pry that steering linkage apart with the little bolt out and then seat it on the rack completely then put the bolt back in and tighten it till the little gap closes.
Actually, I can get the linkage all the way onto the rack, but then I can't get the rack line up to mount to the frame. Or if I mount the rack, I cant get the linkage to bolt to the rack, because it the linkage hits the headers. There was clearance between the linkage and the headers before, but not now.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Teching In

I'm pretty sure I need to make a dent on the headers to make room, but I don't want to have to remove them to do it.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxx
I'm pretty sure I need to make a dent on the headers to make room, but I don't want to have to remove them to do it.
Don't! First try and remove the pins in the motor mounts and jack up the engine a little, hopefully that might give you some clearance.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Launching!

Bent the frame maybe?
Old 12-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Maxx
I had this happen once when they sent the wrong part. It hit the header and would not fit right. Check the part numbers. Where did you get it from?
Old 12-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by haighter
I had this happen once when they sent the wrong part. It hit the header and would not fit right. Check the part numbers. Where did you get it from?
Original post states it was from autozone.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Launching!

YOU HAVE THE WRONG RACK!!! i went thru this same exact **** 2 months ago..... local parts store got me the wrong rack and the pinion angle was off causing the intermediate shaft to hit the headers. you need the 'sport suspension' rack..... the pinion will lean over to the right enough to clear......

lucky for me i found a rebuild kit at autozone for the 'sport suspension' rack and returned the new rack
Old 12-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Teching In

by "sport suspension" do you mean the firm ride, because that is the one they said they gave me.

Quick Reply: Steering Rack Install Problem