Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 01:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy advice needed

well like always anytime something is going smooth while working on the car catastrophe... i need an idea to fix one of the holes on the driver side head i believe the threads got ate up inside of it as when the bolt for the headers gets ready to tighten down it won't tighten any further... i would appreciate an idea to mickey mouse it to tighten down so i can drive it to drill and helicoil it... any ideas guys appreciate it
Old 12-27-2008, 03:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by beezer1519
well like always anytime something is going smooth while working on the car catastrophe... i need an idea to fix one of the holes on the driver side head i believe the threads got ate up inside of it as when the bolt for the headers gets ready to tighten down it won't tighten any further... i would appreciate an idea to mickey mouse it to tighten down so i can drive it to drill and helicoil it... any ideas guys appreciate it
Well if you want to just make it drivable, then just bolt up the remaining bolts and drive it to the shop to get it rapaired. Having a leaking header is not going to hurt anything.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pull the header out, drill it and helicoil, they make a helicoil for the m8x1.00 thread pitch of the stock header bolt, good luck bro
Old 12-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Launching!

thank u sir, do you think the head will have to come out... it's between cylinder 3 & 5 the bolt by #5...

on a further note great product from pacesetter but the bolts they send are standard not metric... which by the way i didn't think to check when i was first installing them 5 months ago... lots of headaches due to that... and the gasket replacements they send are a joke i wouldn't use that styrofoam on my car lol...

Last edited by beezer1519; 12-27-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd take it off just because it would be easier to drill and helicoil.

and it would keep you from drilling past the head also.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:22 PM
Launching!

yeah i was thinking it would make it easier but the car is only gonna be driven for another month then it's going into hibernation... when i come back some new goodies are going on it and i'd rather wait till then to swap/ i mean take off the head

Quick Reply: advice needed