Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Ideas for a product?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkKnightRider
HUD Heads Up Display. Showing info on the windshield so you don't have to look down.
yeah that's what i thought. we need one for our fbodies.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

i've seen fbody's with hud displays already
Old 09-26-2009, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Ya I know. It would be cool to have all that info on the windshield.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

A HUD would involve a lot of electronics which I am not too familiar with. I would be able to make a housing for the electronics but thats about it.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Yeah the HUD, but for any car. Splice into the input signals, convert, project onto window.
Its not that simple, you would have to swap to a different windshield material for it to reflect.

Originally Posted by shenanigans
I like the projector headlight idea and the short shifter ideas alot. How many of you would actually buy these products though? If I made the short shifter I would have to compete with B&M and the likes but the projectors seem to be an open market. Id I decide to do the projector headlights I would need to use someones bird to 3D scan the opening and then work out the beam pattern so I would need a volunteer. Most likely the volunteer would get the finished product as I don't have a bird and would have no use for it. Keep the ideas coming. Thanks a lot guys this is really helpful
I think the projector headlights would be your most "profitable" option. Yes an adjustable short shifter would be cool, but you would be limited to the M6 crowd, most of which already own aftermarket shifters. Projector headlights however are a product that bird owners have been hoping for, but no one has taken it upon themselves to put a product out there. As for the rear diffuser idea, there is a desire for them, and no one makes them. 6Litereater was trying to come up with one but the design was too tough or not very cost effective. I think some non pop-up projector headlights for the bird would be the best way to go hands down...

If you need a test car hit me up, id be happy to help you out.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TireSm0ke
Yes an adjustable short shifter would be cool, but you would be limited to the M6 crowd, most of which already own aftermarket shifters.
Actually I invisioned it as a replacement "stick" for any shifter using a bolt-on stick (i.e. Pro 5.0, stock shifter, etc...) kind of like a lou's short stick (what I have) except adjustable. So the M6 folks who already invested in a shifter, keep the one they have and just replace the stick it self. Should be much easier and cheaper to manufacture than a whole shifter and therefore more marketable.

I figure Lou's runs about $50 so you price this one somewhere between $50 and $75 and it shoudl sell pretty well.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:12 AM
On The Tree

please send me pm's with phone numbers for the short shifter idea and projector idea. The projector idea is seaming very possible right now so guy that are close to Mission Viejo please let me know your schedule so we can try and set up a 3d scan time
Old 09-29-2009, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

quick question for the projector headlights - Do you guys want a replacement for the pop ups or do you want to keep the pop up lights but have projector lights inside? I am thinking keeping the pop up since the birds look so good when they are closed
Old 09-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Launching!

i like the projectors inside the popup idea.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

I have a money maker idea... BUT IT'S MINE!!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Projectors inside the pop ups has been done, and I dont think there is any market. All you need are projector lenses and HID ballasts and bulbs and you can pretty much bolt them right up. There wouldnt really be a product for you to come up with, whereas with a fixed headlight conversion the design would be yours, and id say there is absolutely a market for them. I have some drawings I can give you, and I can help you out with the wiring (I can build you a single connector that replaces the stock wiring completely without the customer being required to splice anything).

As for the short shifter idea, I like it and it sounds pretty cool. The problem is that a short shifter is the entire stick, not just the ****. Most of the M6 guys already have short shifters, and while the adjust-ability is quite practical for the M6 guys, it would be pointless for A4 guys, other than the "cool" factor. Im not knocking your idea at all, I think its innovative and practical, I just dont see the attraction from a business point of view.

A drop in replacement for the bird headlights would be in great demand, as many bird owners complain about the pop up headlights looking outdated, the motors going bad, and the poor lighting quality, and there is not really anything we can do other than put projectors in. Ill PM you my info, hopefully we can figure something out.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

well going off of the shifter idea, something that could make you a killing is making a frame that fits inside the shifter boot to replace the stock one, that doesn't break every time you take it off.... lol
Old 09-30-2009, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Its not that simple, you would have to swap to a different windshield material for it to reflect.
Not true. You don't have to change the windshield at all. Vette guys swap HUD units into their cars all the time without changing the windshields and it works fine for them. This theory about HUDs is on the same level as having to use a V8 gauge cluster in a V6->V8 swap... The major issues for HUDs in F-bodies are dashboard space (not enough vertical clearance for the HUD unit to sit below the dash pad), windshield curvature (gotta find that sweet spot), and fabbing up a modified crash pad with a hole for the HUD unit.

Projectors inside the pop ups has been done, and I dont think there is any market. All you need are projector lenses and HID ballasts and bulbs and you can pretty much bolt them right up.
It's not quite that easy. If you want the projectors to last you will have to form a clear outer shell around the projector lenses to protect the glass lens from rock chips... There is not much space for that in the stock flip-up design.

A drop in replacement for the bird headlights would be in great demand, as many bird owners complain about the pop up headlights looking outdated, the motors going bad, and the poor lighting quality, and there is not really anything we can do other than put projectors in.
Good point. I would also like to see this with a C6 style lighting arrangement. A removable clear face would be good too so you can color-match the lens surround to the vehicle.

Originally Posted by DrifterFreak210
well going off of the shifter idea, something that could make you a killing is making a frame that fits inside the shifter boot to replace the stock one, that doesn't break every time you take it off.... lol
I second this.

Last edited by ZexGX; 09-30-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As for the short shifter idea, I like it and it sounds pretty cool. The problem is that a short shifter is the entire stick, not just the ****. Most of the M6 guys already have short shifters, and while the adjust-ability is quite practical for the M6 guys, it would be pointless for A4 guys, other than the "cool" factor. Im not knocking your idea at all, I think its innovative and practical, I just dont see the attraction from a business point of view.
LOL...No sweat tiresmoke, but you wouldn't replace the ****, you replace the metal shaft between the shifter mechanism at the base and the ****. On almost all of the M6 shifters the steel shaft it secured by two allen bolts...I'm suggesting you replace that stick an only that stick...not the whole shifter. Something like this:

http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/lousshortstick.html

And FWIW...there are WAY more M6 cars with stock GM Shifters, Hursts, Pro 5.0s, snd SLP shifters, then there are Firebirds/TAs that can benefit from a projector replacement...Think about it, a stick can be used on M6 Camaros, and trans ams and once the prototype is made adapting to vettes, GTOs, mustangs, etc.. would be a cake walk...not to mention it's a much cheaper item then Projectors would be, so from a business perspective, I think you might be a bit off.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28ss4me
And FWIW...there are WAY more M6 cars with stock GM Shifters, Hursts, Pro 5.0s, snd SLP shifters, then there are Firebirds/TAs that can benefit from a projector replacement...Think about it, a stick can be used on M6 Camaros, and trans ams and once the prototype is made adapting to vettes, GTOs, mustangs, etc.. would be a cake walk...not to mention it's a much cheaper item then Projectors would be, so from a business perspective, I think you might be a bit off.
Ok, I was off on that, just checked production number, there was about 320,000 Birds/TAs produced byetween 93-02 and about 300,000 fbodys (about 30% of production for all fbodys) with manual transmissions produced...Of course the 93-97 TA/Bird will require a totally different projector setup then the 98-02 one and the ease of adapting the stick to other vehicle still gives it a much higher market share.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DrifterFreak210
LOL I could print one in titanium. But more seriously I could make that part in a day if someone got me exact dimensions. How flexible does it have to be?
Old 10-01-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

LOL I could print one in titanium. But more seriously I could make that part in a day if someone got me exact dimensions. How flexible does it have to be?
sorry, already exists:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...-your-car.html
Old 10-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Damn, someone already beat you to it. but 19 bucks for just that? looks like i could make it out of a few paper clips and some soldiering stuff. lol that actually gives me and idea. you guys think small copper wire could do the same thing?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

so the projector idea got shot down by my teacher cause he says there isn't a big enough market for it. I have not run the shifter idea past him yet cause I would like to make a 3D model of it first.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

so the projector idea got shot down by my teacher cause he says there isn't a big enough market for it.
shows how much he knows...