Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Live in CA, Register in AZ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Live in CA, Register in AZ?

Hey guys. I have a friend who lives in Phoneix, AZ. Would registering my car there allow me to take off my cats? If it would allow me to run w/o cats, what do i have to do the register my car there? I also read somewhere that Phoneix has stricter smog than other parts of AZ. Is this true?
Old 01-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeamLe
Hey guys. I have a friend who lives in Phoneix, AZ. Would registering my car there allow me to take off my cats? If it would allow me to run w/o cats, what do i have to do the register my car there? I also read somewhere that Phoneix has stricter smog than other parts of AZ. Is this true?
If your talking about running LT with a ORY, yes you can run no cats in AZ. There are some countys that have no emission requirements in AZ.

1. you have to take your car to the AZ DMV to get the VIN # verified
2. then they will send you to a state emissions center (there they will start your car and check to see if your car is thowing any codes...i think i paid $27 for the inspection test and then your done)
3. take the paperwork your given back to the DMV along with...driver license, insurance, CA registration and plates and your title to your car
4. then you will show your paper work and turn your CA registration and plates to the DMV employee.
5. last you will pay your fees and they will issue a new AZ plate, registration and sticker (i think i paid $140 for my AZ fees)

If you have any more questions LMK, because my SS use to be registered here in CA, but i went ahead last year and got it registered in AZ
Old 01-25-2010, 01:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by F.Rojas
If your talking about running LT with a ORY,
LT? ORY? What do these mean?

If you have any more questions LMK, because my SS use to be registered here in CA, but i went ahead last year and got it registered in AZ
ok you lost me again,... LMK?

aside from helping me with the acronyms, I do have a few other questions in regards to registering a car in Az if I live and work in Ca.

How were you able to register your car in Az. If you live in Ca.
I thought you had to be an Az resident.

Once the car is registered in Az how often do they do smog inspections and will I have to take the car back for them?
Do they do a visual inspection?

In case I get stopped for any reason, will there be a problem with me driving an Az. car with a Ca. Id? --- I guess the real question here is; What if they get wise?
Old 01-25-2010, 02:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mikespeed
LT? ORY? What do these mean?

ok you lost me again,... LMK?

LT's = Long Tube Headers
ORY = Off-Road Y-pipe
Old 01-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mikespeed

aside from helping me with the acronyms, I do have a few other questions in regards to registering a car in Az if I live and work in Ca.

How were you able to register your car in Az. If you live in Ca.
I thought you had to be an Az resident.

Once the car is registered in Az how often do they do smog inspections and will I have to take the car back for them?
Do they do a visual inspection?

In case I get stopped for any reason, will there be a problem with me driving an Az. car with a Ca. Id? --- I guess the real question here is; What if they get wise?
I used a relatives address, to get my car registered in AZ. For my car I have to get a Emission Test annualy. Its not like a Smog Test (sniffer test) here in CA. Theres in no visual inspection of under the car or the hood. Ive been stopped before with no problems
Old 01-25-2010, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used a relatives address, to get my car registered in AZ. For my car I have to get a Emission Test annualy. Its not like a Smog Test (sniffer test) here in CA. Theres in no visual inspection of under the car or the hood. Ive been stopped before with no problems
Whats the deal insurance, do they think it is a CA car AZ car or does it matter?
Old 01-25-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 180ls1
Whats the deal insurance, do they think it is a CA car AZ car or does it matter?
From my own personal experience, insurance wise you'd end up paying less if you told the insurance company that your car was in California despite it being registered in Arizona. I'm going to be moving to Phoenix in a few months and just recently tried several websites to get insurance quotes. Although Az's emissions laws are a little more lenient than those of Cali, your insurance rates are ridiculously more expensive in Az than Cali (compared Phoenix metropolitan area to Bay Area).
Old 01-25-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zeke34
From my own personal experience, insurance wise you'd end up paying less if you told the insurance company that your car was in California despite it being registered in Arizona. I'm going to be moving to Phoenix in a few months and just recently tried several websites to get insurance quotes. Although Az's emissions laws are a little more lenient than those of Cali, your insurance rates are ridiculously more expensive in Az than Cali (compared Phoenix metropolitan area to Bay Area).
Thanks for the reply, i will have to call AAA. I would think they would have a problem with a car registered in AZ but driven here in Cali. Maybe not i dont know.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 180ls1
Thanks for the reply, i will have to call AAA. I would think they would have a problem with a car registered in AZ but driven here in Cali. Maybe not i dont know.
You're welcomed, I don't think they'd have a problem with it. There are a lot of retired people who do this in Az, and a lot of military folks who do this nation wide without any problems.

Quick Reply: Live in CA, Register in AZ?