Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Code P0430

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool Code P0430

My car threw this code over the weekend, a little research showed that it's either a bad 02 or a bad cat completely, any other info?

http://twitpic.com/111wtd
Old 02-02-2010, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's a bad passenger side cat. You usually get a different code of the sensor is bad.

When I got that code, I found out that I had managed to burn out all of the honeycomb in the cat and it was now hollow.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get long tubes and get rid of the cats
Old 02-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think this code necessarily means the cats are bad. There are a variety of things that could be the problem. It is a common problem if you have long tube headers.

If you swap your rear O2s you will see if it is actually the sensor or not depending if you still get the SES light again.

If you still get the SES light, you might try using using spark plug anti-foulers. You can get them at pep boys over where they have drain plugs and things of that nature. The pack of two is like $3.50. They will take the O2 sensor out of direct contact of the exhaust. You have to drill them with a 1/2 inch drill bit to make the O2 sensor fit into them. You almost have to drill them all the way through but DO NOT drill them all the way through or it will defeat the purpose.

Another option would be to get the rear O2s tuned out or purchase O2 simulators. O2 sims are an expensive solution. Getting them tuned out can be pricey too unless you already have LS1edit or a Predator.

On the other hand it may just work itself out and the SES light might not be on after your next few cycles.

The rear O2 sensors do nothing but monitor your cats. They are useless.

If it does come down to buying new cats try and get them outside of California because they are extremely over priced here due to the smog regulations. You may be able to find some on ebay or craigslist.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got o2 sims, works like a charm!
Old 02-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was throwing the P0420 (same code but for bank 1) here and there on a stock engine. Cleaned the MAF and airfilter and had no more problems.

Ryph

Quick Reply: Code P0430