Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

So Cal Going Downhill

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So Cal Going Downhill

So Cal used to have lots of talk about local shops like Don Lee, Strictly Performance and Haddad Motorsports but you don't hear much except for CMS.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Care to share some.

Originally Posted by geovett
^^^^^......
Old 02-02-2010, 03:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There are still some good shops out there. Most arent sponsors of this site so prepare to get flamed if you start talking about them. Anyway most shops are hurting right now, at least the high-performance only shops are. To get by most shops now have to do a little of everything like regular maintenance on all types of vehicles. Aint too many people out there with 10k in their pocket to throw at their cars, yet again, location location location.

Go to some meets and you'll able to hear people talk about other shops. Still Im sure that with most of the guys from this western section CMS will be the main one you hear. I guess its just where and who you ask but at least Ive only heard good things so far about them. A lot of other places have had lawsuits and complaints and crap so I'd be careful where you go.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

Times are tough out there $$. Everyone is broke or scared to spend money which I dont blame them.

As for a shop to talk about well CMS has fair prices and they do good work. I dont go there cause they are a forum sponsor. I go there cause of there goop rep, they are helpful when I talk to them and the quality of work..
Old 02-03-2010, 12:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we are really busy right now... its not because we are a sponsor... (because other shops are busy and they dont sponsor), its because i think for the most part we have a good rep, and i feel we do some of the best work in socal to be honest.... the other shops that have fallen off generally have something ugly their past that most people are not aware of that hurts there business alot
Old 02-03-2010, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

Isnt there a shop owner being sued right now for damages and incomplete jobs? Ive even heard of shops that were once some of the top shops go down because of owners gambling or drinking their money away. Few shops can last a long time without dropping their quality. When you find a good reutable shop that does good work, hang on to it. Also dont forget the shops out there that seem to be a no big deal evryday garage but the guys working there know whats up. Those little shops can turn out some pretty decent cars too.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

Haddad is still around does alot of gto's and g8's. But it is hard for most shops to make it. Poor money managing, not enough start up money to begin with, and you can only charge so much to the customer. Especially in southern california and the sfv where shop space is a fortune. A shitty 3 bay spot in the hood cost around $1500 a month.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7tech7
So Cal Going Downhill
Because CMS does great work and has a large base of happy customers, socal is going downhill?
Old 02-05-2010, 07:52 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
Because CMS does great work and has a large base of happy customers, socal is going downhill?
I think he means that there arent many good shops around like before and CMS is one of the few talked about.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

i woulkd argue that socal is going downhill for other reasons. actually, its all of cali.

-CARB is coming down on the diesel industry hard now (on secondary diesel motors)
-taxes are up, and yet our state is still broke
-car registration fees are double
-bastards are running our state
Old 02-05-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I went to RPM rescently to tune a mild h/c car...
Old 02-05-2010, 12:21 PM
FormerVendor

I've seen alot of other shops going under these days. We stay slammed busy all the time it feels, but most of our customers are not from ls1tech/internet etc. Once you develop a large customer base in your local area, you can keep a solid work flow coming in/out.

I'm not sure if I benefit from sponsoring LS1tech, due to the large amount of phone calls and time I spend giving technical support etc over the phone now. It takes alot away from my free time during the day for getting other things done. Ive got some great, long term employees so that definitely makes life alot easier.

Our location (Bakersfield) is very inexpensive, we have almost no overhead as everything is paid for. Makes doing business alot easier.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea word of mouth is the best. You should charge for phone support lol.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:11 AM

Haddad and Don Lee are still around and I forgot about RPM motors but is Strictly Performance still around?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

I dont think hes saying theres anything wrong with cms or that he doesnt want to go there, CMS is great, they do awsome work too, most of all there KICK *** guys. But i speak for the sd guys that it sucks hes 1:30 away from us. not counting traffic if any. thats a long way to tow a car or take parts or even hangout for that matter.

I believe SD needs a good trust worthy, FRIENDLY shop, that does great work, problem is finding one.

Theres a few shops, but from my experiance there either way to cocky, or rude as hell. Who wants to deal with a shop that treats you like your bothering them!

Its not so much that he thinks there arent good shops, there just arent any that are well known other then CMS. That not a common thing elsewhere in the country so i can see his concern thus the "title "
Old 02-09-2010, 06:05 PM
TECH Regular

Businesses are going under everyday. And no one wants to risk starting one up right now.
Bottom Line.....support the good ones that are still open so they stay open

...unless you do your own work

Quick Reply: So Cal Going Downhill