Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Blown head gasket

Well yesterday I took my car down to a local shop to check out my constant over heating issue. They ran some tests today and their diagnosis was blown head gasket(s) and possible cracked head(s). They quoted me $2,600 to replace everything and to get the heads tested. I know mostly all of you will tell me to do a heads/cam swap and trust me I would love to money is tight and Im in school. My grandpa told me he will front the bill to get my car fixed and him and I would figure out how I would repay him.

I dont want any crazy heads/cam combo and I really dont want to worry about smog, so I was looking at the Cheater cam with some 243 heads. To save money I could tear the engine down and install the new cam and then take it to a shop have them bolt the heads and get a tune?

Ideas?

My car is a 1998 Z28 with almost 112k
Old 10-05-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just drop in 10 alumiseal bottles in haha jk, you try hitting up cms see if they'd change out the gaskets/bolts and surface the heads.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you'd save lots of cash doing the job your self. its not hard at all. just buy all the parts and get to it. putting the heads on isnt as hard as you think. did my brothers heads & cam a few weeks ago.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wickedbluess
you'd save lots of cash doing the job your self. its not hard at all. just buy all the parts and get to it. putting the heads on isnt as hard as you think. did my brothers heads & cam a few weeks ago.
I agree with this guy.

To the op: My bro in law's 95 z28 blew his head gasket many years ago and got quoted about the same as you. I convinced him to do it ourselves (not much experience at all), printed some instructions, bought hayes guide and went ahead and did it.

it wasnt too bad, just time consuming.

Save yourself $2000 and spent the $600 on parts and tools IMO.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude are you at APU? if so and you got room somewhere to do it, let me knwo I have done this already, cheatr and 24 heads would be fine, if you want help I am up plus I am always out there for school.

I will say if you want a shop to do it, hit up CMS, you might think it's expensive, but it is like the old adage, you get what you pay for, you pay some shop less money but you don't get the service and knowledge.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:40 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah Im at APU and I dont have a place to do. If I hada place to do and someone to help do it in a weekend that would be great.

The Cheatr and 243s becasue I still have stock transmission with stock stall. I would love to go with a 224 or a 228 but I do not know if that will be a good idea with the stock stall.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a good budget combo that you could shoot for.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...k-results.html

I actually have a brand new eps 222/226 on 114 cam that i was going to use but i went bigger instead, if you are interested.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

How much for the cam?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

If i were you i would stay stock, just buy a set of 241's ($100) have them milled down alittle for mor compression......it'll run strong man, save ur $$ for school...........send SRJ A PM FOR INSTALL!!!!...MY $0.02..........
Old 10-06-2010, 09:10 PM
10 Second Club

At 112k miles, milling heads, a cam swap and fresh head gaskets will give your 112k bottom end a beating. I would not invest money on something thats going to end up costing you more in the near future. I would also get it done by someone who works on cars for a living not some shade tree mechanic, because that could also end up costing you more money. Just my .02 cents.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
At 112k miles, milling heads, a cam swap and fresh head gaskets will give your 112k bottom end a beating. I would not invest money on something thats going to end up costing you more in the near future. I would also get it done by someone who works on cars for a living not some shade tree mechanic, because that could also end up costing you more money. Just my .02 cents.
Hey i agree with Ivan, don't mill the heads just clean them up, no cam!!! KEEP IT STOCK....LOL....
Old 10-06-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by uLs1a
How much for the cam?
$350 for it, it is brand new. It cost me $420 shipped.

Honestly i would not be so worried. I think if the car was properly cared for (which im sure it was) i think it will hold up fine. You just need to stay on top of the maintenance and not spin it out too high.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I disagree unless his car was beat to hell then yes but LS1's are capable of 200k miles 112k miles is not a huge problem if he does a minimal h/c swap.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:58 AM
10 Second Club

Most ls1 are beat to hell since they were new, you don't buy a sports car to get groceries. Raising the compression and increasing power on a car that was previously overheated (Who know how many time) is going to cut your engines life short especially at 112k miles. I have seen stock hondas blow bottom ends shortly after getting a head gasket. If a car was overheating you have to check cylinder walls for scoring after you pull the heads. Im just giving my opinion to save him for having to dish more money out in the future since he said money is tight and he is in school. Get it fixed but get it fixed back to STOCK if you want it to last longer.

Last edited by XpEdItIoUs; 10-07-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

I am about to put on a cheatr v.3 cam ls6 head combo. Apparently thunder racing told me that you do NOT need a tune if you are an M6 car. A stock tune will work great with the cam. I'm going to take their word for it. But I think it will run strong. GL man. Let me know if you want a place to do it if you are down in SD. The shop you met me at when I bought those springs off you will hook you up.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Launching!

First off I highly recomend taking to a professional LSX mechanic on your repair and or possible up grades. Second I would look at your radiator and your wp to make sure they are working correctly. The dex cool can sludge in your cooling system. You can get you radiator ultra sonic cleaned.

You might be able to save a buck by doing it your self or having a friend do it for you, but is it worth the savings if you have to replaces something because they messed up? Even though the LSX shop might be more most of them have a warranty on work and you are paying for there years of experience. On that note I highly recomend CMS.

Quick Reply: Blown head gasket