Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

emissions regulations

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emissions regulations

my car is currently registered pno since i have lt headers and no cats on it. i was wondering if i put cats on it, is there any way to have it legal while not having to remove my tsp true duals? If anyone can direct me to an official source that could give me details on the emissions regulations for aftermarket parts, that would help the most. Thanks for your time. Also, I'm pretty sure lt headers are illegal no matter what but can anyone confirm this?
Old 11-16-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

LT's are illegal as they move the cat from its original location
Old 11-19-2012, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TDs are fine, as long as they are under the dB level for exhaust.

You got your answer for LTs (above).

To make it legal, replace the LTs with stock exhaust manifolds (or CARB-approved shorty/mid headers) with OEM cats.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

smog it and they you'll find for yourself...
Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Thanks everyone for your help. Also, just to be clear, it is legal to have my exhaust dumped before the rear axle then correct?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Yes anything after the cats is fair game as long as it complies with noise level regulations.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Yes anything after the cats is fair game as long as it complies with noise level regulations.
I would be hesitant to chop the y-pipe right after the cats for a true dual system. Yes it's still "cat-back", but I feel like the smog tech would give you some grief. Maybe I'm wrong though.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Refer to cali noise regulations and you will see that the DB of a stock z28 is higher in both cruise and idle than is allowed by basic CA noise regulations. Unless its changed in the last 4 years. The car is in violation in stock form, so yes- any modification to exhaust that increases the volume would be illegal.

That said, they don't generally meter the DB level, its subjective to the REF at the station where you get checked. Ive been written and seen many cars written for violations by a peace officer, and with no change pass at the ref stations. GL -

Move outta California.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Teching In

moving out is the plan, it's just gonna take a couple of years.

Originally Posted by BuffJoeyD
Refer to cali noise regulations and you will see that the DB of a stock z28 is higher in both cruise and idle than is allowed by basic CA noise regulations. Unless its changed in the last 4 years. The car is in violation in stock form, so yes- any modification to exhaust that increases the volume would be illegal.

That said, they don't generally meter the DB level, its subjective to the REF at the station where you get checked. Ive been written and seen many cars written for violations by a peace officer, and with no change pass at the ref stations. GL -

Move outta California.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I would be hesitant to chop the y-pipe right after the cats for a true dual system. Yes it's still "cat-back", but I feel like the smog tech would give you some grief. Maybe I'm wrong though.
I talked to a smog tech recently and he said "as long as everything from the cats forward has to be either stock or smog approved. Anything past that isn't looked at for passing smog."

Quick Reply: emissions regulations