Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

LTs WITH cats

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 04:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LTs WITH cats

Here in NM, getting ready to start my list of bolt ons this spring/summer for my '01 Z28. I'm seeing "headers headers headers" all over the forum when it comes to the standard list of needed items. Well that's all fine and dandy but I have some questions/concerns.
First of all, I have no experience with exhaust. Never spent much time under the car. I was under it one time only and vaguely remember seeing a couple of wussy-looking pipes merging at the Y and then heading down to the back of the car. I also have spent enough time in the engine bay to notice the pitiful exhaust manifolds. Needless to say, I wish to change all that. I'd like to get a nice set of headers along with a new exhaust setup under the car. Problem is, I doubt a normal LT/ORY setup will pass emissions here in Albuquerque. So, with my lack of exhaust setups, I have questions...

1. Are LTs strictly out of the question if the car needs to pass emissions in December?

2. If LTs are a no-go, then would I be able to work with shorties? I really want to get rid of those horrid stock manifolds so I'd be willing to settle for short-tubers if I had to.

3. What should I do about the exhaust pipes? Are cat-backs even worth the money? It looks as though all the restriction is coming from the stock manis and the puny Y-pipe.

Any input on what you guys did with your own rides would be appreciated. Trying to keep the car emissions legal (computer-wise; my emissions guy doesn't do visual or sniffer). I guess if all else fails I can keep the stock exhaust setup packed away and switch it back in each year for the emissions but that sounds like a total PITA... I'd really like to throw in a TSP 224r cam this summer so I'd like to do what I can to free up the exhaust :/
Old 02-14-2013, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

If your guy ignores visual you can get away with Longtubes with cats, an emissions friendly cam etc. You just need a good tuner who is familiar with tuning set ups to pass.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply!

So the LTs themselves don't actually cause any bad emissions? Sorry, I don't know anything about exhaust systems other than they carry the exhaust gases away from the engine and that the catalytic converter cleans up the gases a little by reburning them.

If I get LTs, are there catted Ys that will fit the LTs? Or will I have to have the Y fabricated? Also, on my car I believe there is only one cat, placed near the passenger side manifold. If I get the long tubes will I have to place cats on both pipes, or can I get away with only catting one side of the exhaust, like the stock system?
Old 02-14-2013, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Also, as far as the cam goes, you said "emission friendly." I had my eyes set on the TSP 224R 112 LSA. Do you think this particular cam will be mild enough to pass emissions?
Old 02-14-2013, 05:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

As far as that cam it's pretty emissions friendly only problem is that lsa is pretty big try a 114 that would help with emissions. LT headers will increase engine power needing more gas raising fuel burning raising emissions. If your tuner does a good job it's still possible to pass though. Your better off waiting until your emissions though or finding a person to fake smog it. I have full bolt ons heads and a cam and i put out emissions like a 4 cylinder

Quick Reply: LTs WITH cats