Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Ignition switch issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ignition switch issue?

So im having an issue with my ignition/starter...... It starts fine everytime, however after its started the starter is not dis-engaging from the fly wheel, you can hear it clanking off of the fly wheel. sometimes it will dis-engage ofter a few moments and sometimes i have to keep turning the car on and off before it dis-engages. Also sometimes i try to turn the key off and the key gets to the off position but the car sounds like its still trying to start even though its in the off position, then it finally shuts off....sometimes it starts up fine and the starter does not stick to the fly wheel... The starter is brand new and i also tried shimming it, but it still is acting up......... It has the be a bad ignition switch right??

Have video but photo bucket keeps saying video not found even though it uploaded to my photobucket library

Last edited by chevyrunner; 02-19-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds more like a sticking starter solenoid to me.

Is it the original starter?
Old 02-19-2013, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Sounds more like a sticking starter solenoid to me.

Is it the original starter?
its a new starter from autozone.... how can i tell if its the solenoid or ignition switch??
Old 02-19-2013, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chevyrunner
its a new starter from autozone.... how can i tell if its the solenoid or ignition switch??
Did the problem start after you put the alt in or was it already doing this?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

the problem just started....... at first i just heard the starter clanking off of the flex plate and then it would go away after a few seconds however now its gotten progressively worse as sometimes i try to turn the car off and its like the starter is still trying to start the car for a split second even after the key has been turned off...
Old 02-19-2013, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

If it's still cranking, then the starter motor and solenoid are still getting power.
Could be switch or one of the relays are sticking under the hood.

If the starter is sticking in (no cranking) it could be the solenoid or starter alignment issues.

I wouldn't be able to watch the video here at work anyway (all streaming is blocked).
Old 02-19-2013, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
If it's still cranking, then the starter motor and solenoid are still getting power.
Could be switch or one of the relays are sticking under the hood.

If the starter is sticking in (no cranking) it could be the solenoid or starter alignment issues.

I wouldn't be able to watch the video here at work anyway (all streaming is blocked).
the car starts everytime, it always cranks over and starts, thats not the issue. the issue comes into play after the car is started, the starter continues to hit the flex plate for a few seconds, then it goes away or if it doesnt go away pretty fast i have to turn the car on and off until it finally stops clanking off of the flexplate.... then sometimes when i turn the key off the car acts like its still trying to stay on..

another thing i noticed is when the car is turned on and the starter is hitting the flex plate the battery voltage is a little to the left of the middle and then when it stops hitting the flexplate the battery gets more power and goes to the right of the middle on the voltage gauge.

i can send you the video to your phone if youd like

Quick Reply: Ignition switch issue?