Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

High Compression/Nitrous 447 C5Z CMS Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Compression/Nitrous 447 C5Z CMS Build Thread

I'm currently in the process of finishing up my 447 build. The shortblock is almost finished being put together and the heads should be on their way back soon. I am having all the work done by Cunningham Motorsports. Ever since I saw how good his C6Z always ran on NA 427, I have been wanting a big cube NA motor too. Here's what's going into this build.

C5R block
WCCH LS7 heads angle milled to 58cc Compression will be 14.5:1
Wiesco Forged 4.155 bore piston
Compstar Forged Crank 4.125 stroke
Compstar Forged H-Beam 6.125 rods
Fast 102mm Intake Manifold (Hand ported in shop)
4 solenoid Nitrous Outlet Direct port (Will be jetted for 250+shot)
2" American Racing Headers with Cat-less X-Pipe
Walbro 465 E85 Fuel Pump
MSD Boost-a-pump

Can't wait for all this to be done and see what kind of power I can get out of this set-up. I wanted a set-up that could dabble in just about every type of car event. I really like taking the car out on the road course so I wanted to stay NA for that but there are times I like to take it out for Airstrip/ drag racing events and the nitrous set up will add to that to give it that extra power when I want it. I'll be updating the thread as things start coming together a bit more.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Sorry for the poor quality pictures. I only had my cell phone at the time I'll get better pictures once things start becoming assembled.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what power levels would this thing hit?
Old 06-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
what power levels would this thing hit?
Looking somewhere between 600-650whp NA and like 850-900 on a 250shot.Only time will tell what power itll really make! Thats why builds are exciting!!
Old 06-23-2013, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Good luck with your build!

How long has your car been at CMS? Did they give you an estimated time to complete it?
Old 06-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Oh it hasn't been at CMS....I'm still driving the car on the weekend with the H/C LS6 in it. And no estimate on time, when you go with a build like this you plan on it being slowly done because you gotta wait for all the parts to get in, then you still have to wait for the heads to get done, along with the shortblock to be put together. I "started" the project in May technically. That's when I purchased the bottom end. Wiesco sent my pistons to the wrong shop though so that delayed it a little and then I waited a lil too long to buy heads but I'm not in a hurry really. Once my intake manifold comes in i'll be sending it out to Nitrous Outlet for the direct port plumbing.

Thanks for the kind words, I can't wait till more is finished so I can provide you guys with more pics and video!!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

short block is complete, I am going to the machine shop today to Degree the camshaft. Heads should be back from WCCH by the end of the week.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's why everyone loves CMS clearly they are on top of their game. I hate when you drop stuff off and it seems like its collecting dust at the shop then machine shop then back at the shop again.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silvea
That's why everyone loves CMS clearly they are on top of their game. I hate when you drop stuff off and it seems like its collecting dust at the shop then machine shop then back at the shop again.
We are doing the best we can with being a two man show.... we already practically live here. Unfortunately everyone we hire for help ends up being a disappointment causing more damage then good....
Old 07-02-2013, 04:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

haha hire me I can answer one hell of a phone. My ability to pick up food for lunch is out of this world. Naw I've worked in shops but not on your guys level.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Apologies for taking so long to get an update on this. The short block has been back from the machine shop for a few weeks now but haven't had a chance to take good pictures. The LS7 heads just got back from WCCH after their amazing port work. I just ordered the Holley black krinkle valve covers and the big Ron Davis radiator with oil cooler built it. The car already has a Doug Rippie oil cooler on it but I'll feel better having two coolers on this car for the track use.

I'm currently in the process of port patching the FAST Intake manifold to the heads so there's a nice smooth flow of air. Pretty time consuming process but should be well worth the extra hp gained! We are looking at taking the old motor out on the 9th of August so look for more updates as things start wrapping up. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow or early next week of everything.

Here's two pictures I did take with my phone right before I started port-matching the intake.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:33 AM
Teching In

oh also one more thing, for right now we are just going to stick with my single nozzle setup for the nitrous. We decided to back off on spraying anything bigger than a 150 for now. With how high the compression is and running stock casting heads I don't want to take a chance of lifting the heads from all the cylinder pressure. Maybe down the road I will swap to a set of Brodix or something and then up the shot but for now I'll be happy with how it's going to be.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Alright so a quick update, I went ahead and took apart the FAST manifold so that I could port match it to the heads. First time porting so I was a little on the nervous side but it turned out pretty good.

Once I got that all lined up, I had to give Richard a call over at WCCH to find out if i should go ahead and port a little more out of the intake port on the heads because they were raised a little higher than the bottom of the FAST manifold. This was due to the angle mill that we did to bump the compression more. He gave me the go ahead so I went ahead and matched it up at the bottom to get a nice clean flow.

This was how it looked after I port matched all sides of the intake manifold to the heads except for the bottom due to the head port being higher than the intake side. I didn't want to port the head side until I got the go ahead from WCCH.

Once I got the go ahead this was the after picture. Nice and smooth airflow.

I took my time trying to get it all worked out perfect and didn't want to mess anything up since this was my first time really getting into port work. While I was doing the porting I took the time to go ahead and paint the upper shell to make it look a little nicer.

I also went ahead and took a few more pics of the parts I just received just to give you guys some more pictures to look at lol.

Things are really coming together and should be pulling the old motor on the 9th of August at CMS. Can't wait!!
Old 08-03-2013, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

Looks good man, looking forward to seeing your results.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is gonna pull hard bro.. Not too many nitrous guys anymore, they seem to be migrating to forced induction. Can't wait to see what she puts down!
Old 08-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Slo_240sx
This is gonna pull hard bro.. Not too many nitrous guys anymore, they seem to be migrating to forced induction. Can't wait to see what she puts down!
This is true lots of guys going the turbo/supercharged route these days. As you know I wanted to keep the car going for road course duty with the occasional freeway/drag race so that's why the use of nitrous on top. Gotta try to keep up with guys like you!
Old 08-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Teching In

On Friday the car went into the shop at Cunningham Motorsports. We were able to get the engine and rear cradle down and out of the car, and we also started putting the new motor together.

Heads are now on the short block and all measurements have been done, now just gotta finish putting it together and swap the engine

On Monday, I'm going to go through and clean up all the parts since they are pretty filthy from my track day at chuckwalla. I had a bit too much fun and went off track on one of the turns so dirt and dust got EVERYWHERE lol. This is a good time to really clean it all up. Should also have the new motor back together and swapped in tomorrow. We'll see how far we get and I'll be sure to update again.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:35 AM
Teching In

So on Monday Ryne and Texas Mike stayed late working on the car, Had to modify the new bell housing because the 2inch headers wouldn't fit!!

After a long day we finally got the motor up and into the car...

Here it is just before we put it in the car...

Next day my vacation from work ended so I no longer could really help, but Texas and Ryne got back to work on the car and got a lot done with the suspension and wiring. Then they found the slave was leaking so had to drop the torque tube again to replace the slave. After that they got everything all together and then today they couldn't get the NW 102 to clear the water pump so ended up having to use a LS7 water pump to get it to clear. But after ALL that.....the moment has come....IT RUNS!!!!!!!

Here's a quick video of it idling!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRXNZ...ature=youtu.be

So excited now, can't wait to hear it in person and get the tuning all done with it.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:02 AM
11 Second Club

Good stuff!
Old 08-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you put 4psi of boost to it the thing would make 3000hp...get with it son.

Quick Reply: High Compression/Nitrous 447 C5Z CMS Build Thread