Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

California smog

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California smog

I live in Oklahoma where we do not have smog control, and my exhaust is not even close to smog compliant. I have a lot of family that lives In Bakersfield. My question is I plan on driving there this year since I do not live in the state will I have to comply with the smog test or chance getting ticketed for it
Old 07-29-2013, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're just visiting you'll be fine.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Ok thanks bud I appreciate it
Old 08-16-2013, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in California, car is registered in AK...I haven't had any issues.

Cali is strict on their smog though....for $$$$ not for clean air.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
I live in California, car is registered in AK...I haven't had any issues.

Cali is strict on their smog though....for $$$$ not for clean air.
i've been thinking about just switching my registration to AZ... i'm a cop magnet around my neighborhood though and i've heard they watch for out of state plates and start ticketing you for them if you keep them for longer than 20 days

have you been pulled over with the AK plates on and if so what did they say about it?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:11 AM
Teching In

I know this thread is a few weeks old, but I have some info that you might find useful. I live in two different states. My vehicles were not registered in California, However someone decided to notify the police of my out of state plates. I received a letter in the mail from the CHP saying that I need to register my vehicle in California. In the letter it said nothing about the clean air, but more to the affect that people try to avoid registering vehicle in CA due to the higher cost.

I called the officer that wrote me the letter and stated my situation in which I spend less than 5 months out of the year in Cali. What he basically told me was that the paperwork was already documented and I needed to comply, and my vehicle needs to be dual registered. So they're really only after the money.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by krazeefewl
I know this thread is a few weeks old, but I have some info that you might find useful. I live in two different states. My vehicles were not registered in California, However someone decided to notify the police of my out of state plates. I received a letter in the mail from the CHP saying that I need to register my vehicle in California. In the letter it said nothing about the clean air, but more to the affect that people try to avoid registering vehicle in CA due to the higher cost.

I called the officer that wrote me the letter and stated my situation in which I spend less than 5 months out of the year in Cali. What he basically told me was that the paperwork was already documented and I needed to comply, and my vehicle needs to be dual registered. So they're really only after the money.
how in hell do you dual register ?
do you run 2 plates ?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by krazeefewl

well that really sucks man. are you gonna have to maintain california insurance then too?

Quick Reply: California smog