Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Emissions Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions Question

Hey all I'm moving to Cali feb 1st for school and to help take care of my grandpa. Im gonna be out there for a few years and will have to do emissions when i get my plates and license switched over so here is my question. I have no cats but am tuned so i don't throw a check light. In MD where I'm at not they use a mirror to look for cats but they don't give a f*ck and have missed it three times in a row lol. Do they look hard for cats and is it like md where they just look for no check light hook up the computer see the readiness monitors and send you on your way or is Cali different? Thanks for the help!
Old 01-12-2014, 12:56 AM
Launching!

keep your plates in MD dont switch
Old 01-12-2014, 01:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Keep your MD plates. Not only do they look for cats but they check the whole car for anything and EVERYTHING. I also believe when they plug it into the computer it will show if there is an aftermarket tune and thats an auto fail. If you have to change your plates you will need an illegal smog (which I have no idea where to find one)
Old 01-12-2014, 02:06 AM
Teching In

holy **** how does everyone else get away with it lol?
Old 01-12-2014, 03:35 AM
TECH Resident

Its easy and people like to over complicate it.. been doing it since I bought my first Z28 at 16. Your going to have to have the car VIN check since its out of state. I suggest Triple A services for this. There just going to check your windshield vin, under hood and door vin. From there just need to get an illegal smog. Smog your car before you start the registration process or else you might end up with a Star Smog(More $$ less places to do it). Depending where you live hit up some meets, see if you can find someone who has a guy.

Just be careful if you get pulled over. I personally haven't been fucked with over emissions/mods. Just got pulled over a month ago in my Turbo Camaro.. your just bolt ons and should have no real problem with emissions or cops.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Doing a search on the PRK "Star Program" should fill you in on the possible technicalities of it, which I believe is not in effect being recalled for issues.
This forum under "Western Members" has lots of good info.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silvea
Keep your MD plates. Not only do they look for cats but they check the whole car for anything and EVERYTHING. I also believe when they plug it into the computer it will show if there is an aftermarket tune and thats an auto fail. If you have to change your plates you will need an illegal smog (which I have no idea where to find one)
No if your car is tuned, it is not an auto fail for them to get the technology to look at that would be way more expensive.

The tuner should tune the systems to show ready, I believe CMS discussed this at one point, but yeah they can only see if the system is showing ready, if it is, then OBD2 would pass, but they check everything else visually and that is where we get the fail lol.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depends on the county where u going to move. there are emission exempt counties in cali
Old 01-12-2014, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by oChristiano
Its easy and people like to over complicate it.. been doing it since I bought my first Z28 at 16. Your going to have to have the car VIN check since its out of state. I suggest Triple A services for this. There just going to check your windshield vin, under hood and door vin. From there just need to get an illegal smog. Smog your car before you start the registration process or else you might end up with a Star Smog(More $$ less places to do it). Depending where you live hit up some meets, see if you can find someone who has a guy.

Just be careful if you get pulled over. I personally haven't been fucked with over emissions/mods. Just got pulled over a month ago in my Turbo Camaro.. your just bolt ons and should have no real problem with emissions or cops.
Wow thanks for the good info right there man appreciate it.

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
No if your car is tuned, it is not an auto fail for them to get the technology to look at that would be way more expensive.

The tuner should tune the systems to show ready, I believe CMS discussed this at one point, but yeah they can only see if the system is showing ready, if it is, then OBD2 would pass, but they check everything else visually and that is where we get the fail lol.
Yes my tuner did that MD is pretty bad on emissions as well but all the readiness monitors run and pass like usual so nothing there pops up.
Originally Posted by CaliboyTA
depends on the county where u going to move. there are emission exempt counties in cali
Gotcha should've mentioned that part i suppose lol I'm moving to Northridge so LA county i believe.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:08 PM
11 Second Club

keep your car registered in MD. **** this state!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:05 AM
TECH Resident

Where at in Northridge? Around CSUN? You'll be seeing a lot of me if so. I'm usually running around here.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

You can pass with up to two monitors reporting not ready, including cats.

Quick Reply: Emissions Question