Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

First time state ref ticket. (27156 b vc)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by callys
I am also in socal and have tried to help 2 friends ref swaps. Both failed.

I strongly recommend you do not go to the ref. If the ticket is $1000 or less just pay it.

If the ref uses a magnet on the block, looks and sees that it's iron, or notices even the smallest modification you will be in for a very long ride.

Everything at the ref must be p.e.r.f.e.c.t.
The sticker behind the ticket says I need to make an appointment with the ref and that my car is not allowed on the road and that a state ref should write off that ticket.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by w.s6 formula
don’t listen to anyone saying to swap it back to stock and all that bs
i didn’t even touch my engine ticket was 600 bucks
lucky, lucky!
Old 02-11-2018, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Commie California strikes again.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by silvea

im confused about what you are trying to say. Are you saying that according to the law you can put a car engine in a truck legally but not a truck engine in a car? Or that a lq4 won’t run on a stock ls1 tune. Because a lq4 or ls2 will run just fine on the ls1 tune in an ls1 car. The computer wouldn’t even notice the difference. A tune would open some untapped potential but that’s about it.
In CARB eyes and their books, you can take an LS1 out of a Camaro and put it into a truck but you can not take a LQ4 out of a truck and put it into a Camaro. It has nothing to do with the tune. It has to do with the emmisions of the engines for the vehicles and nothing to do with the stock fund from GM. It’s like that for every manufacturer here in California.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by King Nothing
In CARB eyes and their books, you can take an LS1 out of a Camaro and put it into a truck but you can not take a LQ4 out of a truck and put it into a Camaro. It has nothing to do with the tune. It has to do with the emmisions of the engines for the vehicles and nothing to do with the stock fund from GM. It’s like that for every manufacturer here in California.
I see. Well good news is im able to pay and close the ticket without going to the ref after all. The court isnt asking any sort of proof online so imma go ahead and do that. There goes my tax money lol
Old 02-22-2018, 05:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
I see. Well good news is im able to pay and close the ticket without going to the ref after all. The court isnt asking any sort of proof online so imma go ahead and do that. There goes my tax money lol
Good! So I’ll see you at CamaroCon right?
Old 02-26-2018, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
Let us know what that ticket costs you. I'm in CA also and I've got a ton of less than legal mods. I would want to pay the ticket, of course, if I was ever pulled over.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good! So I’ll see you at CamaroCon right?
Will try to do my best to attend. Hoping to fix some stuff on the car. Just keep a look out for an ugly flat black Camaro lol
Old 03-15-2018, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06GR
Let us know what that ticket costs you. I'm in CA also and I've got a ton of less than legal mods. I would want to pay the ticket, of course, if I was ever pulled over.
So it turns out that I am just able to pay the fine without proof online even though the ticket states otherwise. It is a $495 fine. I have the option to pay the fine online and close the ticket. This simply could have been a far more cheaper ticket if it was a fix it ticket but oh well.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to see you settled the ticket, I never drive my car for this reason. Do you know if an out of state car can get a California State Ref ticket?
Old 03-22-2018, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

A buddy with a Mustang just got popped for driving in the HOV lanes without having his Fastrak in plain view. He said the cop decided to be a dick and told him his car was too loud. Wrote him a fix it ticket. My car's louder because I'm cammed with spintechs. I'm already super paranoid about cops when I drive my car. Now it's going to be worse LOL
Old 03-28-2018, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DLindlZ28
good to see you settled the ticket, I never drive my car for this reason. Do you know if an out of state car can get a California State Ref ticket?
Glad the online option stated to pay and close the fine. I also messaged a fellow member on here in the previous comments and he too told me the same thing. Theres no history of the ticket either. Pay, close be done with. As for an out of state car, Im gonna go ahead and assume no.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06GR
A buddy with a Mustang just got popped for driving in the HOV lanes without having his Fastrak in plain view. He said the cop decided to be a dick and told him his car was too loud. Wrote him a fix it ticket. My car's louder because I'm cammed with spintechs. I'm already super paranoid about cops when I drive my car. Now it's going to be worse LOL
Thats what I told the officer when I got pulled over that I have no modified emissions, meaning headers and no cats. Told him its a stock car but it made sense once I realized it was near the end of the month so we all know what that means.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

Cool man,i talked with my buddy that's a San Diego officer, said my car will fall under my states laws. says a cop can still ticket for loud exhaust but that's it. I'm going to put MF muffler on it just in case. currently running a before axel dump, cars shakes peoples houses lol
Old 04-02-2018, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Not just California, it's pretty common. Fed emission and fuel economy standards are much more lax for trucks than cars, because trucks by nature are big, heavy and haul ****. SO they get a bit of a pass. Putting a car engine in a truck - IN THEORY - is putting a cleaner running, more fuel efficient engine in and that's why it's allowed. Truck engine in car = dirty, inefficient engine in a car.

Good luck explaining **** to the people who make these laws.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Talked to my friend again with the Mustang. He got a fix it ticket for the exhaust, but the ref took that opportunity to check everything on his car, including the PCM. I thought you could just fix the issue and be done with it, but apparently it doesn't work that way. His car measured out to 102 dB at its highest. Max allowed is 95dB. Maybe the cop that stopped him doesn't like Mustangs LOL (the stop was for the Fastrak not being visible, but he ended up writing a ticket for the noise)
Old 04-04-2018, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool man,i talked with my buddy that's a San Diego officer, said my car will fall under my states laws. says a cop can still ticket for loud exhaust but that's it. I'm going to put MF muffler on it just in case. currently running a before axel dump, cars shakes peoples houses lol
Nice! I have no major plans for mine. Just want a good sounding car. I might switch out from my y pipe setup to a true dual setup by speed engineering
Old 01-22-2020, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

So what u tryna say is i can pay the fine and not have to go to a state ref? Mine says state ref cert. Required... and its not correctable
Old 03-26-2020, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

I have some really good suggestions for both of you.
1) Move out of California if you don't want to be hassled about your car.
2) Move out of California if you don't want to be hassled about your car.
3) And finally, move out of California for every other reason under the sun.
All problems solved.
It's obvious none of the dumbass emissions laws are doing a single bit of good considering CA is pretty much the most polluted state in the country. Proof below.

http://www.stateoftheair.org/city-ra...ed-cities.html
Old 03-31-2020, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I don’t think you can an equipment violation ticket in California for an out-of-state vehicle.
but....
You can get a SERIOUS ticket for having an out of state plate if you live in California. You have 30 days to register the car once you move to CA.
If you get pulled over with out-of-state plates and a CA drivers license, it’s going to make an equipment ticket feel cheap.

Quick Reply: First time state ref ticket. (27156 b vc)