Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Vehicle Work in CA

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle Work in CA

Hello, I live in the Oceanside CA area and I've been having trouble with my 2002 Z/28 LS1. I'm new to engine/technical work and don't want to get shafted by a shop that knows I don't know anything and I was wondering if there's an easier way to help fix these things on my car, i.e a shop that someone knows of that is good and trustworthy or maybe some advice on how to get started myself? My main problem right now is my MPG went down alot, like noticeably, since I took it to another shop in the area but I'm not sure how to tell if I'm right. Im sure this might seem simple or easy to some of you guys I just love my car and don't want to neglect it. Thanks
Old 02-28-2018, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Best way to know a shop isn't screwing you is to know how your car works. You can diagnose problems and go in knowing the exact problem and then don't agree to any work outside of that until you have time to research whatever additional things they want to do. A good shop will generally list out what you need to do and what you should consider doing but won't force you into a quick decision. A great shop will also show you the evidence they have to help you understand why they're recommending the repairs.

A change in fuel economy can be based on so many different things it's virtually impossible to diagnose without a lot of info. Provide the info and you'll get a flood of ideas to look into.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Is the car throwing any codes? As stated, reduced mpg's could be a myriad of things. One thing that you could do for next to nothing is to remove your MAF and spray it with MAF cleaner and reinstall it. The next culprit that comes to mind would be the front oxygen sensors as the MAF and o2 sensors are responsible for adjusting your fuel trims. Third thing that comes to mind would be a vacuum leak of some sort. But I can only speculate at this point. If you knew exactly what was wrong, I would be available to come and fix it as Oceanside is not too far from me.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:41 AM
Teching In

Like mentioned before, there could be a number of factors that can contribute to reduced MPG.
Besides what ss.slp.ls1 said, low tire pressure, spark plugs, or dirty injectors can also be a culprit. Sometimes you just have to do the process of elimination.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep. I'll vouch for ss.slp.ls1's work - he knows his stuff and has been around these cars since they were pretty much new.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I’ve used SS.Slp. His work is super solid and I’d recommend him based in his quality. Just so you know though his labor isn’t cheap at 60 an hour but he was worth it.