Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Another state ref question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another state ref question...

Hey guys another state ref question here, as you may have imagined I’ve already spent countless hours researching all the state ref and 27156(b) situations that various car owners all across California have been in. For those that have mods of no return many of them stated they payed the bail out fine when they got the ticket in the mail, some even paid online, others went to the clerk.

Basically I got popped for modified exhaust (27151) and missing smog device (27156(b) . I have a 98 Corvette straight piped for a little under 2 years and barely got pulled over for the first time because of my exhaust which led to further investigation of my car. I bought the car like this I haven’t done a single thing to it. The previous owner said that the owner before him converted it from auto to manual and swapped an ls1 from a ws6. Ive known the previous owner all my life so i trusted his word on the swap and all that and to date I haven’t had any problems mechanically.

Ive considered just getting a stock exhaust and stock intake and going to the ref but a friend told me I’m not going to pass because of the swapped engine, so I’ve patiently waited 2 weeks without driving my car for my ticket and it finally came. It said pay 75$ + proof of corrections and all the other court stuff. I read that someone went online to check it out and it gave him the option to pay the bailout fine and close the case although it didn’t say so on his notice. I obviously tried that right away and it says I’m ineligble to pay online because I need proof.

What should I do next? Can I go to the courthouse and ask the clerk for the bailout fine? Or will I eventually have to go in front of a judge? I would rather pay the bailout fee which I’ve heard is 700$ max than have to go to a state ref which I heard is **** about EVERYTHING. Thanks guys

Last edited by Scarlos9; 04-14-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the court on your due date and just say no contest and pay the fine and you’re done ! Done this first hand
Old 04-16-2018, 11:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

This is what I understand about what a seller needs to provide to a buyer of a used car in Calif.

Under California law, the seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. Section 24007 (b)(2) of the California Vehicle Code provides that it is the responsibility of the seller to provide a valid smog certificate at the time of delivery of the vehicle.

OP...did the seller provide you with a smog cert? ....and was it a legit smog test or "pay to pass" cert?

you have 3 issues

1. your exhaust has been cited for being to loud so you need to make it quieter (under 95 db IIRC)

2. you have missing or altered emission components, you will need to correct that

3. you have a engine transplant with a motor that is not original type to car so you need to have whatever emission components that motor would have...and even that motor transplants can themselves be tricky to comply

IDK if as suggested pleading no contest in court the ruling would be to pay a dismissal fee without correcting the cited issues...if it does post that so others know how it worked out
Old 04-16-2018, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

You can put a newer engine into an older car. I got pulled over for modified exhaust and all I had was a hooker cat back, but the cop sent me to state ref. Jerk off was a young guy and said car was too low also, but it was stock height and just had ground effects. My car originally had a 6 cylinder. I had a swapped an engine from a WS6 as well. When I took it in the state ref shook his head and told me, they need to educate these cops and stop wasting his time. He ran a smog on it, it passed, he said nice car by the way and I was gone. In my case, I didnt correct anything, thought the swap would be an issue but it wasnt.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by W.S6 FORMULA
Go to the court on your due date and just say no contest and pay the fine and you’re done ! Done this first hand
did you do this at the clerk or did you have to go see a judge and plead no contest ? Did you have to explain anything at all to him/her?
Old 04-17-2018, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by ******
This is what I understand about what a seller needs to provide to a buyer of a used car in Calif.

Under California law, the seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. Section 24007 (b)(2) of the California Vehicle Code provides that it is the responsibility of the seller to provide a valid smog certificate at the time of delivery of the vehicle.

OP...did the seller provide you with a smog cert? ....and was it a legit smog test or "pay to pass" cert?

you have 3 issues

1. your exhaust has been cited for being to loud so you need to make it quieter (under 95 db IIRC)

2. you have missing or altered emission components, you will need to correct that

3. you have a engine transplant with a motor that is not original type to car so you need to have whatever emission components that motor would have...and even that motor transplants can themselves be tricky to comply

IDK if as suggested pleading no contest in court the ruling would be to pay a dismissal fee without correcting the cited issues...if it does post that so others know how it worked out
seller sold me the car with a smog he got at a friendly station, no certificate but I knew everything i was signing up for. I just never thought about a state ref situation and it’s definetly the last time I buy a car like this. You live and learn.

I have no problem putting stock exhaust back on and all that stuff. Just afraid of going to the ref because of the swap. Technically it is the motor the car came with it’s just not the original one. Even then I don’t want to risk it because I don’t want to be in for a ride if the state ref says I need paperwork for the motor.

I will probably resolving this issue sometime this week if I have the chance. Every situation that I’ve researched they have all paid a dismissal fee at some point of the court process but I will definetly update you guys thanks for the help
Old 04-17-2018, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by SleeperSS
You can put a newer engine into an older car. I got pulled over for modified exhaust and all I had was a hooker cat back, but the cop sent me to state ref. Jerk off was a young guy and said car was too low also, but it was stock height and just had ground effects. My car originally had a 6 cylinder. I had a swapped an engine from a WS6 as well. When I took it in the state ref shook his head and told me, they need to educate these cops and stop wasting his time. He ran a smog on it, it passed, he said nice car by the way and I was gone. In my case, I didnt correct anything, thought the swap would be an issue but it wasnt.
did you have paperwork proving you got the motor swapped at a shop or a reciept proving that you bought the motor ?
Old 04-18-2018, 01:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarlos9

Technically it is the motor the car came with it’s just not the original one.
...so if it was a LS1 car and it now has a LS1...that should be OK. You just need to install the emission stuff, including CATS the car came with..or use C.A.R.B. compliant intake if that is what you have on it. Anything but shorty CARB headers, or stock manifolds, will fail if you have long tube headers

I would not say anything about it being a different motor than original one as long as it came wit a LS1. Just fix the emission stuff

IDK about the comment of pleading no contest and just paying a dismissal fee if that in fact works. You can try that and see what happens

Court may accept a no contest plea but still make you not only pay the fine for that violation but also require you to fix the emission stuff to keep the registration valid