Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

relocating to Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default relocating to Phoenix

Hi All,
I am relocating from PA to Phoenix and need some recommendations for inspection, and general work. Does AZ have emission exemption, Like PA does? Any friendly shops for Inspections?

thanks in advance and looking forward to meeting up with some local folks.

--Mike
Old 12-01-2023, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 110 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mcamp001
Hi All,
I am relocating from PA to Phoenix and need some recommendations for inspection, and general work. Does AZ have emission exemption, Like PA does? Any friendly shops for Inspections?

thanks in advance and looking forward to meeting up with some local folks.

--Mike
Hi Mike I think you are Johns friend from Chicago area? If so we have talked a little bit about your arrival. We do not have inspections here, only emissions (depending on year). If you register as a collector there will be no emissions but you have to insure it under collectors FIRST. Emissions is required in Maricopa and Pinal counties only. So if out of those two counties it is not required although that will not be the case for you more than likely.

All vehicles 5 years or older are required to test however it is not very strict and it depends on how the state employee decides they want to do the test that day. It can go either way: OBD2 reading only, no sniffer will pass without codes, doesn’t matter what’s done to it. Or they put it on the rollers and hook up the sniffer, I had an operator do this to me on my 96 years ago and it’s forever flagged in the system to be put on the rollers.

All HD vehicles are required to go on the rollers. Even if you have something radical, throw some cats on temporarily and it’ll pass no problem. One other thing: install a new fuel cap because they will test the seal on it by itself. Looking forward to meeting up and adding you to our network of like minded folks here. What side of town are you considering being on? Feel free to message me if you’d like any info regarding good locations to be in or anything else you might have a question on.

- Garth
Old 12-13-2023, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Hi Garth,
Thanks for the info. Yes, I will be in Maricopa county. I am moving from PA however, not Chicago.I have a classic reg here in PA and will look for the equivalent in AZ. My SS is tuned, but probably wouldn't pass the emissions with the heads/cam combo, but it does have cats and no codes.

Looking forward to meeting up at some point.

--Mike
Old 12-13-2023, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Received 94 Likes on 84 Posts

if your car is obd2, like 97-98 plus, they will ONLY check "readiness" and check engine light off. they won't care if you have turbo, cams, SC...if the computer shows monitors clear, and no CEL, you will pass.

What city you moving to ?
Old 12-14-2023, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best advice is register or live in a non emission county, I live Pinal and we have no emissions, except I think some of AP and San Tan areas on Pinal have emissions.
Old 12-14-2023, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 110 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mcamp001
Hi Garth,
Thanks for the info. Yes, I will be in Maricopa county. I am moving from PA however, not Chicago.I have a classic reg here in PA and will look for the equivalent in AZ. My SS is tuned, but probably wouldn't pass the emissions with the heads/cam combo, but it does have cats and no codes.

Looking forward to meeting up at some point.

--Mike
If it has cats and no codes it will pass, doesn’t matter what’s done to it. There is another Mike relocating here from Chicago area different from you then. Be sure to check out our local club: AZFBA, we have been around since 2002, it’s more of a Facebook group now. I would however like to start making it more active with events again.

AZ F body and AZLSX are local Facebook groups you can join as well for networking, parts sales, tech info, etc. If you are on the west side and enjoy small gatherings for dinner, live music, comedy, drinks, and what not let me know and I can introduce you to a small and private social group that is by invite only, last name is Johnson.

Old 12-18-2023, 11:14 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks, I appreciate the info! We will be in Desert Hills, just north of Scottsdale.
Old 12-18-2023, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

cool, no worries, I have the tuning software, can tune out any light if necessary. I never had that issue though, car is well built and tuned.

Quick Reply: relocating to Phoenix