Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Any Smog Experts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any Smog Experts?

I had a smog pre-test done today, and I passed expect for the SLP LTs. The smog guy said that if I have the CARB paperwork/number for the headers he would pass me.

I wish I could just go to another shop that might not notice, but I know now that my pre-test results are in the smog system.

Any suggestions? Does anybody have JBA header smog certificate? Would that work? All comments welcome.

Thanks,

James
Old 02-17-2005, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

james i might have an extra CARB sticker for a set of slp shorties that i had for my 91 z28…don't know if it will help or if i can find it for that matter. i'll look this weekend.

i live in northwood off culver, trabuco and the 5 fwy.

here is my number call me, i would like to check out your set up.
dan
Old 02-17-2005, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

James,

Sorry I can't help you on the CARB certificate. But I have been following your predicament concerning the sniffer portion of the smog test.

The last I saw you had failed the sniffer pretty bad. By reading this post it appears that you solved that problem. Would you mind telling what the problem was and how you corrected it?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 02-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Launching!

"Speednine" I went back to the smog station today with literature I printed from JBA headers' website and showed it to the tech, but he said he needed a sticker. I told him I would contact the company and come back with it. If you have that sticker, it may work. I will call you tonight or tomorrow.

"Brian98ss"
A few days ago, I ordered new cats from SLP, and when I had them installed we found that one of the old cats was empty . The old cats were about 3 years old and they scrap under my lowered car, so I guess new cats every few years are needed. With the new cats installed, I went to a smog station and the sniffer portion went great (very acceptable numbers now) . However, the tech noticed my headers (@#$%). He said it appeared that all the EGR equipment was in place, so I just needed a CARB number for the headers in order for him to complete the test and pass me. The tech also noticed my supercharger, but he was able to see the CARB plate on the supercharger, so he said no problem. Of course, the was no way for the tech to know about the stage II heads and cam.

I am happy that it now passes the sniffer test, but I am mad at myself for not taking the car to where I had it smogged last year because they did not say anything about the LTs.

I spent a lot of money on this car, so I am glad to know that I have a an approximatly 500 RWHP smog legal car, except for the LTs.

I hope this stituation helps someone else in the future. If your smog numbers are way off...check your cats!

James
Irvine, CA.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah unless you have a hookup for a smog then every part on our cars here in cali has to have a carb #. I hate it too. I went with shorty headers over LT's just for that reason, damn EPA, lol.

Quick Reply: Any Smog Experts?