Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Forced Smog Checks!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wonder if you got exhaust tips that pointed up if the beam would be able to pick up the pollution. what is the level going to be set at that triggers the camera? is it going to be set for a greenie mobile or will it be set at the highest level possible. like it or not it will come. luckily up here in redding, we don't have to worry about those speed sensing cameras just yet. it kind of sucks when somebody doesn't even have to catch you doing something anymore. it takes the fun out of the game.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the survey camera take pictures of everything that passes by, not just gross polluters and such. hey I'm gonna be a certified smog tech here in a few months, we'll see how long I hold on to that license...
Old 04-25-2006, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Ditto. PLus PM me your info so I can use you later on, when I need to.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah no doubt. And rocket, delete your quote.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Yeah no doubt. And rocket, delete your quote.
no prob already done under reason i put big daddy bry told me to. now get wicked to delete his.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Ditto. PLus PM me your info so I can use you later on, when I need to.
probably not going to work his info says he's in kentucky
Old 04-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
[/B]

I used to live in Riverside...glad I don't have to play bumper cars on those freeways anymore! This is something that is done on a city street, so I'm sure they can come up with something for you guys down in Corona!
It can be anywhere, any time, any place. As for Riverside, it has already happened! I have seen them set up twice in the last five years, right next to North High School, near the practice fields, on Chicago Ave. I was always in my work car, but definitely made a mental note not to come down Chicago on the week ends. This past Sunday, there was a big bust at the Target parking lot on Tyler Ave, with @100 cars (targeting street racers), mostly imports. Been living in Corona for 15 years, and have run into sobriety check points on 6th St a few times near Miguels...so they could put these up anywhere. I think one way to prevent some of this is to hide in plain sight. My lid has factory stickers on it; unless you know what youre listening for, my cam is not obvious; shorty headers, and ported/worked stock heads or AFR,; hide your guages/shift lights, etc. You can still run hard, but everything looks kosher. It could be worse though, as I'm told that in my home state of GA, having a nitrous bottle in a street car will get it impounded, even if it isnt hooked up. JMHO!
Old 04-27-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rob c
It can be anywhere, any time, any place. As for Riverside, it has already happened! I have seen them set up twice in the last five years, right next to North High School, near the practice fields, on Chicago Ave. I was always in my work car, but definitely made a mental note not to come down Chicago on the week ends. This past Sunday, there was a big bust at the Target parking lot on Tyler Ave, with @100 cars (targeting street racers), mostly imports. Been living in Corona for 15 years, and have run into sobriety check points on 6th St a few times near Miguels...so they could put these up anywhere. I think one way to prevent some of this is to hide in plain sight. My lid has factory stickers on it; unless you know what youre listening for, my cam is not obvious; shorty headers, and ported/worked stock heads or AFR,; hide your guages/shift lights, etc. You can still run hard, but everything looks kosher. It could be worse though, as I'm told that in my home state of GA, having a nitrous bottle in a street car will get it impounded, even if it isnt hooked up. JMHO!
I also believe in hiding things. I like the stealthy/sleeper look.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Would the roadside checkpoints hassle cars that are pre-1975 which are exempt from the bi-annual smog checks?
Old 04-29-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

this is why I try to stay out of sac as much as possible
Old 04-29-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Along these same lines.......I was sitting quietly at a stoplight last night, when a cop pulled up behind me. He had a few minutes at the light to listen to my car idle. When the light turned green he hit his lights. He pulled me over and said "your exhaust has a rumble to it, what do you have done to your car?" He then asked me to pop my hood. He looked under the hood and said "your headers aren't legal." I was told they could tow my car for illegal mods and then send me to the ref to return it to stock. He said he'd impound my car, but needed to get back out to Roseville and didn't want to spend the time. He informed me that they were pulling over tons of cars for an illegal mod crackdown, and suggested that I head home. He said I should return my car to stock, otherwise there's a good chance I'll end up having my car impounded. He said they've been through several training courses and aren't playing around anymore. This is the truth! My car looks stock and I had seen all the cops and was driving real cautiously, trying to be quiet. There were much louder and more conspicuous cars out there than mine! I was actually suprised that they even pulled me over. Let this be a warning........they can and will pull you over without excuse and impound your car! My car was at idle, and I have no stickers, wheels or anything to suggest my car isn't stock. This smog crap is WAY out of hand now!! Seems like a civil rights violation to me, but they can always say they THOUGHT your exhaust was too loud. Can't wait till they put the (RSD) remote smog sensing devices on all of our cars!
Old 04-29-2006, 08:47 PM
10 Second Club

that sucks, i let my friend have my car for a night and told him to keep my cutout closed, well he opened it up and a cop pulled up next to him at a light and just over at him and did nothing. That was the LAST time anyone will ever be able to drive one of my cars. ha my friend said he didn't even bother to close the cutout because he thought the officer would notice, needless to say I was pissed.
Old 04-30-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

At least he told you the truth. He could have been a dick and said nothing.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

thats why my car is registered in MI, i've hit one of those smog checks before, just looked at my plate and waved me on.

Justin
Old 04-30-2006, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

well i'm gonna turn you in now and get a reward from the CHP, they're really crackin down on that too man, actually nm I see that you live over there, but i think the limit is 30 days
Old 04-30-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

I saw this post and just had to chime in (lucky for ya'll LOL) anyway I do ET in Ga. and our IM testing program is based on Cali's even though as I understand it Cali has more of a CO problem and Ga. has more of a NOX problem, anyway our state has also started using the roadside lazer ET's,but the best part about ours is, and I have only seen one of "our" cars come through here so far, they send you notification in the mail that you need to have your car inspected within 30 days free of charge. But as long as you have done your edit homework you would get the same pass as normal,in Ga. for the time being we have no visual on OBDII cars.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
well i'm gonna turn you in now and get a reward from the CHP, they're really crackin down on that too man, actually nm I see that you live over there, but i think the limit is 30 days
LOL, yea i play hockey back east, and yes the limit is 30 days, but whenever i get pulled over i just tell them i'm visiting for a few weeks. But i also have MI license, and insurence so it looks pretty belivable.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Silver02
Would the roadside checkpoints hassle cars that are pre-1975 which are exempt from the bi-annual smog checks?
Any info on this?
Old 04-30-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Silver02
Any info on this?
I wouldn't think you would have to do anything.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Over the past 2 days there have been 4 roadside smog checks set up around Sacramento that I know of. Cops are flagging people over and putting them through a full smog dyno. This probably takes at least 15 minutes and you don't have a choice. Obviously, if you don't have cats you aren't gonna pass. I don't know who they are supposedly targeting now, but I wouldn't doubt that this eventually is used to enforce CARB laws and check for illegal mods. I know this isn't the 1st time they have done mobil smog checks, but it seems to be more widespread now. With the cops just finishing a course locally on how to recognize illegal mods they have been pulling people aver and citing them alot lately. Instead of fixing the millions of rim bending pot holes ALL over the place, we are wasting our $$ on mobile smog checks! You'd think having THE MOST extensive and rediculous smog testing in the nation once every 2 years would be plenty. Nope....we've got to pull someone over without any prior notice and spend 15+ minutes smogging their car. What if you just had your car smogged last month and don't have 15 minutes to waste on ANOTHER smog check? Where did I vote for this lol!

they got so much ******* nerve,i can see them also sending us a bill for there mobile smog check as well. this is getting rediculous

Quick Reply: Forced Smog Checks!