Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

need help on fuel pump install (LT1)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on fuel pump install (LT1)

Alright guys, i have a problem. I am wraping up my install and am trying to fit the fuel pump filter on the bottom of the plastic case and its just not fitting. I was wondering if there is a trick on the LT1's that i need to do to modify the filter....damn its stupid

*I will attatch pictures here in a sec to give u guys an idea of what im dealin with

they wont fit, the filter hole os too big...i was thinkin of getting a rubber tube that fits around the male end and supergluing the **** out of it so the filter would be snug on it...any thoughts? ......

**** btw its a walbro 255 pump kit***

Last edited by Z28SkillZ; 05-02-2006 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the plastic part isn't totally necessary, one of the lines running into it is the return line and the plastic case keeps the pump surrounded by fuel at all times. I just left mine off for the same reason, the bottom of the pump/filter assembly is too big for the plastic opening.

I'm not having any problems with my pump, and i've run it down to .5 gallons left in the tank. it might not be the best for pump longevity doing that because the fuel keeps the pump cool, but if you keep a gallon or two in the tank you don't need the plastic case.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:10 AM
10 Second Club

did you just cut the trapdoor? haha that sucks if you dropped your tank

hope it works good for ya bro, i'm happy with mine
Old 05-02-2006, 12:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

wait so your filter fit on that male end? what did u do about that? i dont really fully understand....yea i did the trap door due to lack of time and money and stuff..... but yea so you run it without the what in the where? and how?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

or did u cut the bottom of the plastic case so you could put that filter on the end of the pump itself?
Old 05-02-2006, 12:32 AM
10 Second Club

i bought mine used so... lol

yea the filter was already mounted on the pump, so I just hose clamped the pump onto the swingin' arm with the horseshoe shaped thing at the bottom of the arm kinda snapped between the body of the pump and the filter. been working fine for 1k miles.

remember to prime the pump quite a bit before you try to start your car, you'll definitely hear when the pump is building fuel pressure. also the pump whines a bit more than stock, as in, you'll hear it all the time when you're driving with the windows up.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:36 AM
10 Second Club

sorry but i dont' remember how the filter was mounted on there...

lol i reread your post and I understand what you're asking now, ya I dunno how to mount the filter, sorry man... but if you're gonna put the plastic case back in use a quick epoxy, or I think you can use superglue since you cracked the thing open before.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

yea i already siperglued the bastard back on top...ill just have to figure out somethin about this lol, thanks for teh input tho
Old 05-02-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

yea when i did mine i took the plastic thing off. is there another way to change the fuel pump without the trap door?lmao. they should have just made a door there.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

alright im leanin towards takin that damn plastic thing off....(or at least cuttin the bottom...

but how did you keep your pump in place? without the bottom of the case wouldnt it move?
Old 05-02-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I took off the plastic case.....all together....
call me if you need to talk about this in person....quicker...cause I won't be near a computer all day!!!!!
Old 05-03-2006, 01:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

well i just got off work so ill prolly give ya a ring tomorrow if i dont get it done, and thanks guys
Old 05-03-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That little tin ring is supposed to fit tight around the plastic its kind of a PITA to press it on i usually just get something flat and push the **** out of it.Its supposed to fit tight around the plastic so it doesnt fall off.BTW i would not reccomend using superglue the gas will eventually dissolve and fall off

Think of it like a chinese hand cuff the metal tin ring to the plastic nub sticking out