Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Performance/Tuning shop in SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evojuiced
Hey i heard Mike Morgan is tunning there, i wouldn't take it to them if they were the last shop on earth everyone that works there is shady.
See this Thread

EC

Last edited by EC_Tune; 05-05-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Flash99
A&A Is very good in Oxnard, Van Gordon and Brown is in Upland, and there are a bunch of others, just do a search.
do you have the address for Van Gordon and Brown in upland ?
Old 05-05-2006, 09:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by EC_Tune
See this Thread

EC

C'mon, be a man and fess up that you work at LAPD and you're trolling for bus. You just joined and have no post count. HHHHMMMMMMMMMM
Old 05-06-2006, 01:02 AM
Banned

Are you misinformed or just trying to be a pot-stirrer?

1) I tuned the truck in SD and the put maf the back on per the owners request. The owner, Greg, did not want to complete the SD tune (save a few bucks and I understand)

You attempted to tune the truck in SD, you never did make any clean pulls to make any good hp #'s. The truck never ran right with the PCM you put in the truck. After it got here, the PCM you guys put in it was traded into the dealer for a another PCM of the correct year and was retuned locally.

2) That tune ran fine by the owners own accounts and he took it to the drag strip and ran mid 10's - I'd call that plenty fine.

Your tune would BARELY even run beyond parking lot purposes. The owner will never ever ever come back to you for tuning again. The truck was retuned locally by a guy that knows what he is doing. Nothing you had to do with made the truck run.
You dont have one dyno sheet for the truck making ANY HP. After a tuner fixed it here, its since made huge RWHP on the dyno. You wouldnt know the #'s on the truck because you NEVER made any good ones.

2) Greg brought the truck back in to me for was in everyone’s mind, a fast fix to the idle trims. (idle trims high - driving trims all 0 -1)

$800 for a fast fix in idle trims! Hey everyone, for $800 they will tune your idle.

3) I checked all the obvious, including vacuum lines, and proceeded. With the MAF off, everything fine, MAF on idle rims wacky

What RWHP #'s did you make? Please post a dyno sheet. I've got dyno sheets that are awesome from down here.

4) Looking to make this a success I headed for the low hanging fruit and changed plugs, wires, checked under the valve covers and re-torqued the intake manifold. In other words, I did all the logical and even some not so logical checks and changes to assure myself that the basics were solid.

You didnt change the plug wires. Its got the same ones on it that it did. Also you didnt do any of that stuff, one of your mechanics changed the plugs. Thats not true.

4) Spoke with Greg and he wanted the truck back, told him I wasn’t any closer and that I’d have to get more in-depth. Greg was adamant about not wanting to spend money and to let him know before I did anything.

It sat there for THREE WEEKS for what you call "a fast fix for idle trims". I'd be pissed if someone called my car "A piece of ****" and let my car sit for 3 weeks.

5) I spoke with Andy and he made it clear to me, and me to Greg, that we were not going to work on the truck. There were several reasons, the most basic being that it would be more cost effective for Greg to troubleshoot the problems himself.

When its $100 to change plugs (that takes 5 minutes) why on earth would someone pay another $500-1000 to trouble shoot a vacuum line being off. You guys couldnt figure out what was wrong, the truck sat for 3 weeks and so he was pissed and loaded it up and paid the bill. Has he came back? no, and he never will.

6) BUT no, me thinking it wouldn't be too difficult to continue and not wanting to leave the job without understanding the root cause, I volunteered to troubleshoot on my own nickel, free of charge to the owner.

He paid you $800 to "tune the idle". You didnt have the right year tuning software to tune his year truck. So you tried to RIG it and flash a tune from andys supercharged truck in it since you have tuning software of the same year. OOOPPPSS you didnt remember that andys truck is drive by wire and not cable. And you fried the PCM by flashing the tune from Andys truck onto his PCM. Who paid for the PCM?? you guys sure didnt. He ate the bill on that too.

7) I gave it my best shot and ran into more mechanical issues, poor fitments and then electrical issues. Each one I fixed or made a work-around.

You can tune C5's. Your great at it. You can tune any n/a, supercharged, turbo C5 around and do a nice clean job at it. This truck was nothing like you have worked with before and required more than basic HPTuners skills and you didnt know what you were doing and wasted 3 weeks trying to figure it out and just ended up saying " the trucks f***ed up, I cant fix it, heres your $800 tuning bill" and it was as simple as you had the wrong year computer in it and a vacuum line off that blew off during first pulls
8) Greg really wants his truck and I finally relent saying “come get it and let me know what the root cause is, because I’m stumped – NO CHARGE”

After THREE WEEKS for a tune, I'd want my car back too!

9) Greg says no, fix it, put in a PCM if that makes the job easier because the software is more accessible, etc. (LS1 edit v HPTuners)

Greg is not the TUNER you are. He knew nothing about tuning or any of that stuff, thats your job. He said "do whatever you think you should do to make the truck run great and tune it" and so you did. You did the wrong thing and fried the PCM.

10) I continue to troubleshoot at the labor rate of zero (0) and with a top budget of the PCM and dyno time for Andy’s shop and techs.

How can you charge for troubleshooting when you dont know what the problem was and never could figure it out?? Should he pay you to "NOT" figure out what his problem is?

11) After another 30 (30) hours of time, more loose ends to tie-up, more electrical issues and switches failing, more dyno time (same HP/TQ as original) I am about to give up.

What electrical issues caused the tune to be a problem??? It took us TWO hours to completly get it tuned and worked out here after the vacuum line was put back on and the right computer was put in the truck. Did you make 700 rwhp with the truck?? He did here.

12) During a reflash from SD to MAF based, the PCM gets toasted – OK, is that my fault?

Yes. Because you flashed a drive by wire program from another year into it because you guys had a working supercharged file that ran great in Andys truck. Once you flash it like that, the computer is junk. You cant read/write anything. You guys only work on C5's so have no experience dealing with LS1 swaps, custom conversions or things that are not normal C5 applications.

13) I wanted to utilize HP tuners and installed another PCM – one which I had software for.

Ok... this is the part where you didnt know that you cant put the wrong year computer into another application. Have you ever tried putting a 04 Z06 computer in a 97 C5 ?? doesnt work.

14) Trims fixed – PCM still needed to be addressed for the FBW and this was related to Greg

Trims fixed? It barely ran. Literally. You couldnt even touch the gas pedal. How did you tune the fuel trims? did you drive it around and tune it?? No, you only had it on the dyno and it never ran right.

15) Greg picked up his truck, installed the motor in another truck and now I am a bad guy

No your not a bad guy..I actually like you from the times I've met you. But when A&A was smaller it was all about the customer service, now its like if you dont have a 20k budget to build a car your not worth the time or effort and you get blown off.

What did I leave out? oh, nobody, that I am aware of, called his truck a piece of **** let alone would dare to say that to his face. Greg's a nice guy but I have to believe that he may tear somebody's face off for that.

You were mad at the truck because of the problems right there in front of him and while you were ticked off you kindaly noted "its not my fault , Its a piece of **** and f**ked up". He bit his tongue because he just wanted his truck tuned since he hauled it all the way up there.

Charlie -[/QUOTE]

Charlie...Please dont reply and I wont either. I dont want to start a flame war. But my point is this " I know you guys tried to make it run right, but its a ls1 swapped 72 truck, not exactly what you guys deal with almost ever. But when you dont know something on a custom job like that (none of us know everything about ls1's, there are areas that are foriegn to us), then just suck it up and say you cant get it to work right and dont bend him over on the $$$ even though you put a TON of hours trying to get it to run right. I dont doubt your C5 tuning ability but I personally cant picture bringing my 1000hp turbo LS1 conversion to you guys to get it tuned because its just not your guys thing, stick to C5's you guys are good at them"
Old 05-06-2006, 04:25 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stang90gt50
Are you misinformed or just trying to be a pot-stirrer?

1) I tuned the truck in SD and the put maf the back on per the owners request. The owner, Greg, did not want to complete the SD tune (save a few bucks and I understand)

You attempted to tune the truck in SD, you never did make any clean pulls to make any good hp #'s. The truck never ran right with the PCM you put in the truck. After it got here, the PCM you guys put in it was traded into the dealer for a another PCM of the correct year and was retuned locally.

2) That tune ran fine by the owners own accounts and he took it to the drag strip and ran mid 10's - I'd call that plenty fine.

Your tune would BARELY even run beyond parking lot purposes. The owner will never ever ever come back to you for tuning again. The truck was retuned locally by a guy that knows what he is doing. Nothing you had to do with made the truck run.
You dont have one dyno sheet for the truck making ANY HP. After a tuner fixed it here, its since made huge RWHP on the dyno. You wouldnt know the #'s on the truck because you NEVER made any good ones.

2) Greg brought the truck back in to me for was in everyone’s mind, a fast fix to the idle trims. (idle trims high - driving trims all 0 -1)

$800 for a fast fix in idle trims! Hey everyone, for $800 they will tune your idle.

3) I checked all the obvious, including vacuum lines, and proceeded. With the MAF off, everything fine, MAF on idle rims wacky

What RWHP #'s did you make? Please post a dyno sheet. I've got dyno sheets that are awesome from down here.

4) Looking to make this a success I headed for the low hanging fruit and changed plugs, wires, checked under the valve covers and re-torqued the intake manifold. In other words, I did all the logical and even some not so logical checks and changes to assure myself that the basics were solid.

You didnt change the plug wires. Its got the same ones on it that it did. Also you didnt do any of that stuff, one of your mechanics changed the plugs. Thats not true.

4) Spoke with Greg and he wanted the truck back, told him I wasn’t any closer and that I’d have to get more in-depth. Greg was adamant about not wanting to spend money and to let him know before I did anything.

It sat there for THREE WEEKS for what you call "a fast fix for idle trims". I'd be pissed if someone called my car "A piece of ****" and let my car sit for 3 weeks.

5) I spoke with Andy and he made it clear to me, and me to Greg, that we were not going to work on the truck. There were several reasons, the most basic being that it would be more cost effective for Greg to troubleshoot the problems himself.

When its $100 to change plugs (that takes 5 minutes) why on earth would someone pay another $500-1000 to trouble shoot a vacuum line being off. You guys couldnt figure out what was wrong, the truck sat for 3 weeks and so he was pissed and loaded it up and paid the bill. Has he came back? no, and he never will.

6) BUT no, me thinking it wouldn't be too difficult to continue and not wanting to leave the job without understanding the root cause, I volunteered to troubleshoot on my own nickel, free of charge to the owner.

He paid you $800 to "tune the idle". You didnt have the right year tuning software to tune his year truck. So you tried to RIG it and flash a tune from andys supercharged truck in it since you have tuning software of the same year. OOOPPPSS you didnt remember that andys truck is drive by wire and not cable. And you fried the PCM by flashing the tune from Andys truck onto his PCM. Who paid for the PCM?? you guys sure didnt. He ate the bill on that too.

7) I gave it my best shot and ran into more mechanical issues, poor fitments and then electrical issues. Each one I fixed or made a work-around.

You can tune C5's. Your great at it. You can tune any n/a, supercharged, turbo C5 around and do a nice clean job at it. This truck was nothing like you have worked with before and required more than basic HPTuners skills and you didnt know what you were doing and wasted 3 weeks trying to figure it out and just ended up saying " the trucks f***ed up, I cant fix it, heres your $800 tuning bill" and it was as simple as you had the wrong year computer in it and a vacuum line off that blew off during first pulls
8) Greg really wants his truck and I finally relent saying “come get it and let me know what the root cause is, because I’m stumped – NO CHARGE”

After THREE WEEKS for a tune, I'd want my car back too!

9) Greg says no, fix it, put in a PCM if that makes the job easier because the software is more accessible, etc. (LS1 edit v HPTuners)

Greg is not the TUNER you are. He knew nothing about tuning or any of that stuff, thats your job. He said "do whatever you think you should do to make the truck run great and tune it" and so you did. You did the wrong thing and fried the PCM.

10) I continue to troubleshoot at the labor rate of zero (0) and with a top budget of the PCM and dyno time for Andy’s shop and techs.

How can you charge for troubleshooting when you dont know what the problem was and never could figure it out?? Should he pay you to "NOT" figure out what his problem is?

11) After another 30 (30) hours of time, more loose ends to tie-up, more electrical issues and switches failing, more dyno time (same HP/TQ as original) I am about to give up.

What electrical issues caused the tune to be a problem??? It took us TWO hours to completly get it tuned and worked out here after the vacuum line was put back on and the right computer was put in the truck. Did you make 700 rwhp with the truck?? He did here.

12) During a reflash from SD to MAF based, the PCM gets toasted – OK, is that my fault?

Yes. Because you flashed a drive by wire program from another year into it because you guys had a working supercharged file that ran great in Andys truck. Once you flash it like that, the computer is junk. You cant read/write anything. You guys only work on C5's so have no experience dealing with LS1 swaps, custom conversions or things that are not normal C5 applications.

13) I wanted to utilize HP tuners and installed another PCM – one which I had software for.

Ok... this is the part where you didnt know that you cant put the wrong year computer into another application. Have you ever tried putting a 04 Z06 computer in a 97 C5 ?? doesnt work.

14) Trims fixed – PCM still needed to be addressed for the FBW and this was related to Greg

Trims fixed? It barely ran. Literally. You couldnt even touch the gas pedal. How did you tune the fuel trims? did you drive it around and tune it?? No, you only had it on the dyno and it never ran right.

15) Greg picked up his truck, installed the motor in another truck and now I am a bad guy

No your not a bad guy..I actually like you from the times I've met you. But when A&A was smaller it was all about the customer service, now its like if you dont have a 20k budget to build a car your not worth the time or effort and you get blown off.

What did I leave out? oh, nobody, that I am aware of, called his truck a piece of **** let alone would dare to say that to his face. Greg's a nice guy but I have to believe that he may tear somebody's face off for that.

You were mad at the truck because of the problems right there in front of him and while you were ticked off you kindaly noted "its not my fault , Its a piece of **** and f**ked up". He bit his tongue because he just wanted his truck tuned since he hauled it all the way up there.

Charlie -

Charlie...Please dont reply and I wont either. I dont want to start a flame war. But my point is this " I know you guys tried to make it run right, but its a ls1 swapped 72 truck, not exactly what you guys deal with almost ever. But when you dont know something on a custom job like that (none of us know everything about ls1's, there are areas that are foriegn to us), then just suck it up and say you cant get it to work right and dont bend him over on the $$$ even though you put a TON of hours trying to get it to run right. I dont doubt your C5 tuning ability but I personally cant picture bringing my 1000hp turbo LS1 conversion to you guys to get it tuned because its just not your guys thing, stick to C5's you guys are good at them"

honestly who are you, i have seen them tune many swapped cars with great success, who are you to determine there level of expertise???, as far as i know, unless i hear the owner on here complaining, i just hearing , so just butt out inless you have any factual evidence other then the **** that your making up.

Last edited by RyneZ06; 05-07-2006 at 02:54 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:39 AM
10 Second Club

Quote:
LAPD in Chatsworth.
Originally Posted by 2c5s
Stop trolling for business. Talk about about slim pickings.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500591

Turns out you work for LAPD as I thought.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:48 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2c5s
Quote:
LAPD in Chatsworth.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500591

Turns out you work for LAPD as I thought.
seen some of the guys he has tune hmm..... yeah quality right there

Quick Reply: Performance/Tuning shop in SoCal