Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Would Cali smog refs catch this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Would Cali smog refs catch this?

Ok, so If I showed up with my 99SS w/ LS6 intake and 01-02 Manifolds, Cats, and y pipe, had my Air re-installed, and told them I did an engine change from an 01-02 Camaro, would they know the motor was infact from a 99? I mean they'd basicaly have to know that 853 heads aren't on a 01-02 car wouldn't they or is they're some other giveaway that I really didn't change the motor.

Reason, I ask is, I'm willing to swap the header and cats every two years, but I don't want to have to swap the intake as well and I definately don't want to put the EGR back on. It would be great to get a door sticker that said I didn't need the EGR, would make SMOG visual so much easier.

Thoughts?
Old 11-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt tell them anything. Even if the engine is newer its legal, but there is paper work to be done with that. If it looks stock, and passes the sniffer then dont worry about it. Maybe just take it to some little POS shop that doesnt know any better.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say "that's how it was when I bought it and it passed smog 2 years ago, so what's the problem?".
Old 11-05-2007, 02:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No I know I can get it through a smog shop, but I actually wanted to get the Door sticker that said it didn't have EGR...See sometime the force you to go to a smog only shop that probably would catch the EGR missing unless the door jam said it didn't have one anymore.

Quick Reply: Would Cali smog refs catch this?