Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Red Light Camera questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Light Camera questions

Hey guys I have a question? I was driving my pos corolla today through an intersection and the light changed to yellow about 20 feet before I crossed the intersection. I thought about stopping but I knew I would have skidded through the intersection. I decided to proceed through still on the yellow and about half to 3/4 away through the camera flashed. Does anyone know the legallity of such a situation? I thought that those cameras were supposed to flash only when you entered the intersection after the light turned red.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

It actually depends on when you entered the intersection. If the light turned yellow before you crossed the first line, then you'll set the camera off. You can see the video online for yourself. When you get the ticket in the mail, turn it around and you'll see a website. It'll ask you for a citation number and the date.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Launching!

I was under the impression that you only got a ticket if you crossed the intersection when the light turns red. I believe if you go through while yellow then you're ok.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

No, if you're already inside the intersection (after the first white line, where you'll see the sensors) it won't go off. Legally a yellow light means prepare to stop. If you haven't already crossed into the intersection, it means stop.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

This is from the DMV website:

Solid Yellow- A yellow signal light means "CAUTION." The red signal is about to appear. When you see the yellow light, stop if you can do so safely. If you can’t stop safely, enter the intersection cautiously.

I'm not sure about the cameras but i do know you can get cited if you aren't able to make it across and block the intersection.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS#2906
No, if you're already inside the intersection (after the first white line, where you'll see the sensors) it won't go off. Legally a yellow light means prepare to stop. If you haven't already crossed into the intersection, it means stop.
So if I'm 10 feet from the intersection and going 45mph and it turns yellow I'm supposed to make a stop from 45-0 in 10feet? I don't think so.

Call up the DMV and ask them. If it was yellow when you entered the intersection you should be fine. Was there anyone behind you? Maybe it was taking someone else's picture.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

dont worry about the camera. I have made them go off probably 8 or 9 times and have never got a ticket in the mail......
Old 04-06-2008, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

Red light ticket is for failing to stop at the limit line while facing a solid red signal. If you enter on a yellow and the signal turns red while you are in the intersection you still have right-of-way and entered legally.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about it. I've had them go off on me tons of times and never got a ticket. Even when I knew I did something wrong lol. They also have to be able to positively id the driver/car from the pics.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:57 AM
11 Second Club

In addition to the flash photo, there are videos cameras going all the time. The people who monitor these cameras (it's a private company, not the DMV, as far as I can tell) will review the video and if you entered the intersection AFTER the red, you will get a ticket in the mail. If this happens to you, they will provide a website where you can review the pictures and video yourself.

I think they have the cameras set on the conservative side to make sure that they pick up ALL the red-lighters they can get, and because of this, they have a lot of "false" triggers. That's why some people make the camera flash but then never get a ticket.

I just got my ticket in the mail for one of these...

As an aside, it also shows your speed as you run through the intersection, but I don't think they can ticket you for speed without a policeman present.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

It sounds logical what people are saying about it being a legitimate running of a red light that gives you a ticket.

I personally got caught in the intersection here in downtown Riverside, once because a dumb female driver decided to slow down for no apparent reason. So there I am, light turned yellow just before entering the intersection, was red while I was still in it, all b/c a bitch couldn't drive. Never got a ticket.

Another time, same area, I was making a left, and the guy driving a work truck fucked up a shift, so I'm sitting behind him while the light's changing, never got a ticket.

So either they monitor these things correctly, or they are just for show in downtown Riverside.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by glhs422
As an aside, it also shows your speed as you run through the intersection, but I don't think they can ticket you for speed without a policeman present.
They do on some toll roads (turnpikes) back east. If you make it between sections quicker than the allowable speed limit: ticket.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Teching In

I thought whatever the speed limit is, thats how long it takes the yellow light to go red. so, if the speed limit is 45, than u have 4.5 sec till the light turns red. I could be wrong
Old 04-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Teching In

if you get a 400 dollar ticket in the mail, then you got busted.. if not, your fine lol
Old 04-07-2008, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

^^ haha fair enough i guess.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

those ***** are expensive my buddy just paid his ! riverside county is like almost 400 bucks & sbd county is almost 500 bucks !

Quick Reply: Red Light Camera questions