Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

LT1 question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh dang. how often do they go out? how reliable could it be if it was recently installed?
Old 05-03-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wsSIKK
oh dang. how often do they go out? how reliable could it be if it was recently installed?
You should easily see over 100K out of a properly installed optispark and a properly functioning cooling system.

Mine lasted 140K.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Teching In

interesting.. the LT1's ive seen for sale are either just barely over 110k or around 120/130k miles. well at least i know what one of my MAIN questions will be. but damn it costs so much! is that just for the part itself? how difficult is it to self install?
Old 05-03-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can get an oem distributor from "thepartsladi" on ebay. Search the forums, you'll see alot of good things about that ebay store. You can get an AC Delco for ~280 shipped. It's not too hard of an install. For your first time, taking your time, I'd say plan on taking 4-5 hours. I've done it twice, second time taking about 3 hours.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Teching In

wowza! well im just hopin the LS1 comes my way, but if not, its always nice to have a few LT1's on the back burner.

why are they so expensive!? lol
Old 05-03-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 1st one lastest ~140k but on a fbod its a bitch to take it off on my impala it takes me 20mins. the lt aint complete crap but i had alot of problems with with the opti. and ls fbods aint alot i seen some cheap. like mine. i wasnt even looking for a camaro and i saw what the motor had done to it and saw the price and the next day i brought it just keep looking. and also your fimilar with ls motors.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

My car is down at the moment because of the opti.

On a downshift coming up to a light, the screws on the rotor vibrated out upon stopping. So, the car immediatly shut off and wouldn't crank over.

Thought it was the timing chain because I already just replaced the distributer. 2,000 miles previous of this incident. But I'm not going lie, I love the lt1. I replaced it through my father on warrantee. I took the new one apart and made some modifications. Loc Tit and some fine sealant to make it air tight.

When you understand the motor, it's not that bad.

Oh yeah, Thunderchickens car is orgasmic.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by doaberetta
My car is down at the moment because of the opti.

On a downshift coming up to a light, the screws on the rotor vibrated out upon stopping. So, the car immediatly shut off and wouldn't crank over.

Thought it was the timing chain because I already just replaced the distributer. 2,000 miles previous of this incident. But I'm not going lie, I love the lt1. I replaced it through my father on warrantee. I took the new one apart and made some modifications. Loc Tit and some fine sealant to make it air tight.

When you understand the motor, it's not that bad.

Oh yeah, Thunderchickens car is orgasmic.

Just curious, why are you in the Western members regional forum?
Old 05-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Teching In

yeah im very familiar with the LS1, way more then ill ever be with the LT1. imma keep my eyes open, but it just seems that around there they are overpriced, hell even some LT1's ive seen are way overpriced. i seen a black lt1 trans am with 125k miles and they wanted 6700 for it! madness!
Old 05-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Teching In

hey both lt1 and ls1 are some bad a$$ motors i have a nice lt1 and my brother a build ls1 on his corvette so i know about power the only diferens is the IRON/ANDALUMINUM .also i never had a problem with the optispark.i have a gmperformance one is not the stock1
Old 05-04-2008, 11:04 AM
FormerVendor

First off Everyone Screams Opti. The reality is usually it is the Cap and Rotor that are the problem and they can be replaced for $120.

True the Intake wil not make as much Torque as the LS But the LT sounds a lot better with the deep rumble than the LS (with the same relative mods)

Make sure you get an LT1 from 95+ as they have the vented Opti which solved a lot of the reliablity issue with them.

There are a ton of parts for both out these days.

I don't care for the LS in stock form as it seems to make power higher in the revs, and most drving is done in the lower RPM's, But I am about to solve that. It is definitely the superior technology.

The weight difference in the blocks is about 100lbs

Quick Reply: LT1 question...