Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Autozone wont read codes anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Autozone wont read codes anymore?

Sorry if this is a repost but....I went into a kragen the other day because I had the service engine soon light going off. I told them I was throwing a code and that I needed to have it read. They told me that they dont do that anymore, but that they would be happy to sell me a reader. So I smiled and went to autozone, same thing happened. Then the manager explained to me that about 2 weeks ago the state of california told them that they couldnt read codes anymore. Anyone know anything else about this?
Old 08-03-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
Sorry if this is a repost but....I went into a kragen the other day because I had the service engine soon light going off. I told them I was throwing a code and that I needed to have it read. They told me that they dont do that anymore, but that they would be happy to sell me a reader. So I smiled and went to autozone, same thing happened. Then the manager explained to me that about 2 weeks ago the state of california told them that they couldnt read codes anymore. Anyone know anything else about this?
Yea I noticed a sign posted last time I was in autozone stating that they no longer loan out code readers...just go to harbor frieght and get the one they have for $40, it will tell you what you need to know for OBD2(96+). I have had mine for 3 years with no problems.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

I saw this posted on Auto Zone's door yesterday. I figured it was possibly because people may have stolen them often.

Hmm.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jeremy 92 RS
I saw this posted on Auto Zone's door yesterday. I figured it was possibly because people may have stolen them often.

Hmm.

Well around here they would come out with you and plug it in real quick. They didn't let it leave their hands last time I needed to use one.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Down here they told me that a **** load of Mechanics were complaining about lost work due to A.Z. running scans. (Less opportunity to take a victim for a money ride?)
Old 08-03-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Down here they told me that a **** load of Mechanics were complaining about lost work due to A.Z. running scans. (Less opportunity to take a victim for a money ride?)
Mechanics? Bitching? Well I never....
Old 08-03-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that sucks for those that need it. I agree with the Harbor Freight plug, it's all ***** tools, but if you don't use your tools often, it's a great place for good deals.

I have Autotap, so if anyone local needs codes read/cleared, hit me up.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Almostryan3
Well around here they would come out with you and plug it in real quick. They didn't let it leave their hands last time I needed to use one.
That's odd. Kragen or Auto Zone? Whenever I needed to use one I only went to Auto Zone, and all they required was that you leave your ID/DL behind with them, and you were free to leave the store with it after that.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:00 PM
12 Second Club

Thats a bunch of Not Auto zones fault that some people would rather find out the problem and fix it their selves if possible all the mechanics want to ******* about it because they just want to be handed easy work so they can get home early and jerk it to some
Old 08-03-2008, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jeremy 92 RS
Kragen or Auto Zone? Whenever I needed to use one I only went to Auto Zone, and all they required was that you leave your ID/DL behind with them, and you were free to leave the store with it after that.
The big AZ
Old 08-03-2008, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

I used to be a store manager for autozone, and technicly we were not alowed to scan cars for about 3 years now. We did it anyways, or went out with the customer and had them do it. But The B.A.R. told autozone could not read codes b/c a comercial that they ran said the wrong thing. Even after pulling the ad the B.A.R. said that Autozone could not diagnose cars. The latest is due to, as posted above, the mechanics are complaining about people being able to find out the code on their cars for free.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Autozone stopped reading codes for awhile now, but they did let you rent the tool (just leave a deposit) and take it back when you were done. I always did this when I would get a light, last time I did it was about a month ago. I guess it's just another smart Ca law.lol
Old 08-03-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Mechanics? Bitching? Well I never....
Hahaha my pop's have been a Tech for 30+ yrs. He has seen all kinds of shady mechanics over the years.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:41 AM
Teching In

The two autozones I went with had diffrent policys
One made u leave your id/dl and credit card
And the other one made u "buy" it but u could just return it for your money back
Old 08-04-2008, 01:44 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is true... I used to be a manager at one out here...

...for a couple of weeks
Old 08-04-2008, 03:58 AM
On The Tree

Autozone told me that California law states that Autozone can't scan cars because Autozone is not a repair shop + mechanics were crying about it. No biggie for me, I bought and use my http://www.carmd.com/ on family and friends cars + my neighbors ask me if I can scan their cars too and whatever code it pull up, I look it up on line and it's a simple thing like an O2 or a hose or a wire slipped. I just tell 'em, 'you buy the part and I'll put it in'. A simple $25 part vs. a $200 rip-off. Don't know why repair shops charge up the a#@ for a simple deal. gotta make $ I guess.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:04 AM
12 Second Club

Seem like cali would want you fixing your broke car faster... since you guys have all that gay emission ****
Old 08-04-2008, 04:13 AM
Staging Lane

I used to work at autozone in 02 and we quite doing it because they wanted to start charging for it.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea i found this new law out a couple of weeks ago when mattyboy and i went to AZ and they wouldnt lend us the scanner. I thought they were just being ********.

this state is getting worse and worse. everything here is ***-backwards. next they will outlaw talking on your cell phone while driving, but still let you text.... oh wait, theyve already done that.

allowinf places to lend out scanners is a way to keep mechanics honest. i personally wouldnt mind paying a mechanic to do the job if i trusted them and they treated me right.

do you guys know that in Orange County it is ILLEGAL to wash your car? the law states that you need to have a means of recycling the water in order to wash your car. you can get a citation if a cop drives by while youre washing your car in your driveway. some cities dont enforce it because the law is retarded, but in south OC the cops have nothing better to do.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fast01z28
yea i found this new law out a couple of weeks ago when mattyboy and i went to AZ and they wouldnt lend us the scanner. I thought they were just being ********.

this state is getting worse and worse. everything here is ***-backwards. next they will outlaw talking on your cell phone while driving, but still let you text.... oh wait, theyve already done that.

allowinf places to lend out scanners is a way to keep mechanics honest. i personally wouldnt mind paying a mechanic to do the job if i trusted them and they treated me right.

do you guys know that in Orange County it is ILLEGAL to wash your car? the law states that you need to have a means of recycling the water in order to wash your car. you can get a citation if a cop drives by while youre washing your car in your driveway. some cities dont enforce it because the law is retarded, but in south OC the cops have nothing better to do.

**** id get a ticket every weekend if thats the case.

about the scanner thing its crap you just have to deal with it, i also have a nice scanner cost my work like 6g's, so if anyone else needs codes looked up locally in corona id be happy to help you out.

and yeah mechanics would be crying they charge almost 75 dollars just to look up the code and tell you what it was.

lets say you left your gas cap off accidently, well they will charge your the 75 then an hour of diagnosis and clear the code pick their nose smoke a cigarette make a coffee come back tell you your car had an emission leak you have no idea what that is but you just payed someone upwards of 150dollars to tighten your gas cap for you.

now if thats not being fucked sideways with no lube i dont know what is.

Quick Reply: Autozone wont read codes anymore?