What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Good deal? Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=02WS6SSZ71;12784492]You will be aware of an O2 sensor failure when a Service Engine Soon (SES) light pops up.

This is a piece of very good advice for EVERYONE!!!
My car had no service light on when I bought it, ran and drove great on the test drive. Get home with it to my e-check county and it fails because the SES light didn't work. So I figure somone pulled the bulb out, but it turned out someone had messed with the gauge cluster to keep it from coming on. New gauge cluster in, SES light is on, turned out to only be an egr valve

Quick and Easy test to see if the SES light is working...turn key to on position without starting...all important dash dumby lights will come on for a few seconds...check to make sure they work!!!
Old 01-22-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gozz
Alright everyone, I've got a ton of info that I needed and I want to thank everyone that chipped in to help me.

I just have 1 question left now.
How low should I go? I know I don't want to pay the $5500, but tires and a rotor replacement costs about, what? $500 from a mechanic, maybe more? (She told me the rotors just need turning, but to be on the safe side I just want new ones installed.)

So what would be a good price to shoot for? I was thinking of offering $4000 and then just bargain from there. Good, or bad? Suggestions? This of course is if the car is in the immaculate shape that it is advertised as.
Depends on how you go about it, but all new rotors and pads at all 4 wheels could easily go over $400 if someone else does the work. If you buy new tires, another $400 for cheaper tires, balance and mount. Get some ballpark figures and then demand half that total off the price...make her share half the cost.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Here's another little tip. Go to the mechanic of YOUR choice and have HER pay for it to get state inspected. I live in Maryland so idk what the inspection laws are where ever you live. If she complains... just say it's one more step to buying the car and she shouldn't complain.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:47 PM

She told me that a rock hit the windshield and needed replacing and in 2006 the car didn't pass smog but they told her the catalytic converter was bad so they replaced them, just sounds like good maintenance to me.

Also, a mechanic is going to have to do the work for me since I don't know how, but I do want to be able to do my own work. I'm sure rotors and tires isn't a good place to start though, but hey, that's why I'm here I'm sure you guys are pretty good at doing your own repairs and I can learn a thing or two in due time.

I'll keep everyone updated on what happens, hopefully something good comes out of all this time used.

EDIT: I should be getting new pictures soon, I'll post them up here if I can't tell if the engine is an LS1, or something smells fishy, but so far it's been all good.

Last edited by Gozz; 01-22-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Just run the vin # through a vin decoder and it will give you a break down about the car. Don't take her word that she replaced the cats. after it failed smog test,,,make her retake the smog test and only buy the car if it passes. I know Cali. too well.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I paid around $35 a piece for new carquest rotors and they have held up great. AZ ceramic pads have been good too and were about $75 all around. It is easy to do and I bet if you search around you will find a step by step with pics. IIRC it is install university or ls1howto. Google is your friend here.....

Show her mecanics quotes for the work and use it to bargain as stated. Also tell her you have your eye on a T-top car and try to bargain with that too. Go to KBB and get a value and go from there. I would have done it but the ad doesn't say what year it is....
Old 01-23-2010, 04:38 PM

Alright I'll see what I can find to do rotors on Google, $75 all around doesn't sound bad.

Also, SOMbitch:

Excellent
$5,330

Good
$4,830

Fair
$4,205

Off of KBB.
The car is a 2000 Z28

EDIT: Does this work for the rotors?

Also I've been reading up on rotors which led to me reading about brake pads. I found an article that said that if you buy ceramic brake pads then your rotors won't warp anymore ever. Now I'm smart enough to believe that they won't warp EVER again but will it help with warpage?
Here's the link to that article

Last edited by Gozz; 01-23-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright I'll see what I can find to do rotors on Google, $75 all around doesn't sound bad.

Also, SOMbitch:

Excellent
$5,330

Good
$4,830

Fair
$4,205

Off of KBB.
The car is a 2000 Z28

EDIT: Does this work for the rotors?

Also I've been reading up on rotors which led to me reading about brake pads. I found an article that said that if you buy ceramic brake pads then your rotors won't warp anymore ever. Now I'm smart enough to believe that they won't warp EVER again but will it help with warpage?
Here's the link to that article
That write-up isnt too bad; although they dont mention using a torque wrench anywhere, and I'm not a big fan of pushing all the fluid from the rotor back into the rest of the system since that is where most of the crap settles...it's easier to just push it out the bleed screw. Try to find someone in your area off here that will help you with your brake job...great way to learn, and if you buy the beverages you can probably use their tools to get it done so you don't have to buy a bunch of stuff all at once.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Not to be cynical but based on your posts, I think you'd be better off paying a little more now for a car that didn't need much work and perhaps lower mileage to save yourself in the long run. While everyone here will tell you certain repairs are cheap, this is only true if you don't go to a shop, at which point things become more expensive, sometimes substantially so.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the advice 02WS6SSZ71
I think I have someone out here that can help me, but not from this forum, I know it's not the same, but hey I can do with what I can get for now.

dhowdy: The car shouldn't need that much work, it's brakes, rotors, and tires. If I could pay for a more expensive car I wouldn't get a 2000 Camaro, I'd buy me a new car off the lot, but I can't.
That's why I'm here though, I'm here to learn and I'm willing to learn. I need to start somewhere though.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On one hand, dhowdy makes a good point. You sound like a younger guy that might get frustrated with a car that's either laid up or else might saddle you with a hefty repair bill.

On the other hand, my guess is that most guys on this forum started from a young age, with a car that was less than pristine, and learned by being thrown into the fire. The good news is that these days, forums like this one are a great resource for someone that's willing to learn.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats well worth $5500 with that mileage, id get it
Old 01-25-2010, 09:14 PM

I understand, but no one is born with the knowledge and had to learn somewhere and at some point.
I also realize that a forum probably isn't the best place to learn, but I have a few people that live around here that could probably help me with some simple repairs and some not so simple ones.
This car though seems to be in really good shape though compared to other ones I've seen, and I've been searching for a long time. I'm not expecting to have to do a ton of things to the car. Maybe a few things here and there, but hopefully nothing serious.
Only problem now is that she hasn't replied to my e-mail in a few days. I hope she didn't sell it
Old 02-02-2010, 12:06 AM

Alright everyone, hate to bump my own thread but here we go.
I just got pictures of the Camaro, (finally!)

The car still isn't mine because I haven't bought it.
So here is a picture of the engine bay.

My question: Is it the LS1 engine?
It looks like it to me. Expert opinions?

If you guys are curious I could put some more up that I got.
The headlights look pretty fogged up and the paint looks like it needs a touch up, no to mention there are some small scrapes. (All in other pictures)

Thanks everyone

Last edited by Gozz; 02-02-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:39 AM
Launching!

My question: Is it the LS1 engine?
It certainly appears to be, but that engine bay is absolutely filthy.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:03 AM

Hahah, sure is dhowdy.
I mean the car looks like its had its time.
Like I said, those headlights look like they need a good scrubbing or replacing.

Also some pretty hefty cracking in the sidewalls:

Scrapes:

Old 02-02-2010, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by WizardofDetailing
Just run the vin # through a vin decoder and it will give you a break down about the car. Don't take her word that she replaced the cats. after it failed smog test,,,make her retake the smog test and only buy the car if it passes. I know Cali. too well.
Sorry for jacking the thread. Can you please tell me how to locate one of these vin decoders?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Gozz;12834707]Hahah, sure is dhowdy.
Like I said, those headlights look like they need a good scrubbing or replacing.

Yes, its an LS1.

The headlights can be fixed with sandpaper and polish. Or you can buy a kit that does the same.

This car seems to be priced right. I could live with the scrapes. How's the interior?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by $3,000LS1
Sorry for jacking the thread. Can you please tell me how to locate one of these vin decoders?
I found one decoder somewhere on this site, or you can just google it. It gives you all the rpo codes for your specific car, then you can break down the rpo codes to find out exactly what your car came with.

[QUOTE=eseibel67;12834822]
Hahah, sure is dhowdy.

Yes, its an LS1.

The headlights can be fixed with sandpaper and polish. Or you can buy a kit that does the same.

This car seems to be priced right. I could live with the scrapes. How's the interior?
Sanding and polishing is for experienced ppl, you can really mess stuff up if you do not know what you are doing, even on headlights. You can burn through the outer layer and it will look like crap.
The paint job on that camaro isn't too bad, you can buff and polish those scrapes and scratches out, especially with it being silver. Definately time for new tires, just find some nice vette wheels with tires already on them.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:54 PM

All in due time WizardofDetailing, I don't usually spend this much money at once, hahah

Here's some interior: