What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

sell it or keep it, and what to ask for it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sell it or keep it, and what to ask for it?

so my trans needs a serious rebuild in my camaro. today i cranked her up to pull into the shop and pull the trans and now the motor is knocking. i cant afford to rebuild a motor and trans right now, and im leaving for basic training near the end of april. so if i decided to sell it what should i expect to get? i have no clue what to ask for it. specs below.

00 Z28 LS1/M6, all factory options, black leather. T-tops. 178K miles.
rebuilt rearend with richmond 373's (not even 100 miles on the rebuild)
slp lid, smooth bellows, ram air, k&n filter.
flowmaster cat back, long tube BBK headers and ORY.
LS6 intake, p&p throttle body
diablo predator tuner
hurst shifter subframe connectors and strut tower brace.
new alternator,radiator, plugs/wires, surp belt.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear end, engine, and tranny all at the same time. Crazy.

I dono man it might be time to let it go, that is a lot of work, but you won't get a lot for it.

It's either loose it for little profit or spend a lot rebuilding a high mileage car...

I can't really tell you what to do, lol.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Definitely sell. You don't want that on your mind at all. You can start fresh later. It honestly sounds like it is ready for the junkyard with those miles and engine and tranny issues you mention. You won't get much, that's for sure.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea im debating on selling it, but im sentimentally attached to it. lol.
i live on a 200 acre farm so there wont be a problem with storing it. i know if i sell it ill kick myself in the *** for it later. but if i keep it im gonna invest a fortune in fixing it later. any ideas on what to ask for it if i did sell it though? the body and paint is flawless, inside and out
Old 03-16-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I really don't know why you would want to fix up a 178,000 miles car later and spend a 'fortune' as you stated. It really doesn't make sense to do that. If the car was a rare version, then 'maybe' but let's just say you sold it for $2,500 now. Put it in the bank and it will be a nice down payment on a much lower mileage F-body that is in decent condition with no major work to be done that could be had for maybe $7,000 or $8,000. Your 'new' car would still be worth good money when you eventually sold it (if the miles don't get crazy high and it is maintained). On the other hand your 'old' car would have closer to 200,000 miles on it, and even with a fixed motor and tranny would be worth almost nothing. No one will pay good $$ for mileage that high. Good luck to you and do whatever YOU want. That's all that matters. I'm only suggesting something because you asked.