What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Sell whole value... Or part it out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sell whole value... Or part it out?

I just found out that my car has officially been declared a total loss :-( I am buying the car back, and am thinking about what to do with it.

Its a Red 97 Trans Am 6 spd, 102k, Charcoal leather interior.

The wreck was in the rear, and the car runs & drives just fine. Actually drove it home from the accident with the bumper shoved in the hatch. From the rear tires front-ward, the car is just fine.

How much do you guys think I could get selling like this? Would have a salvaged title.

My other option is to part it out, keep the motor, and buy a roller...

Here's some pics of the car with the damage

Here's the car before the accident...

Old 04-20-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

That's just a shame! It was really nice. The car unfortuantely is worth very little 'as is'. A damaged 13 year old car with 100,000+ miles isn't worth buying for anyone except for parts or if someone can fix it themselves. Selling the parts is a good idea but very time consuming and not easily done. Shipping is now ultra expensive and the huge items just difficult to deal with. Hopefully you didn't pay too much to get it back. Good luck with it.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NC01TA
That's just a shame! It was really nice. The car unfortuantely is worth very little 'as is'. A damaged 13 year old car with 100,000+ miles isn't worth buying for anyone except for parts or if someone can fix it themselves. Selling the parts is a good idea but very time consuming and not easily done. Shipping is now ultra expensive and the huge items just difficult to deal with. Hopefully you didn't pay too much to get it back. Good luck with it.
x2. Parting it out is likely going to be a bigger PITA than it's worth. If you're a full-time student (i see the other state for "school" on the side bar), you don't really have the time to play run to the post office/UPS and drop parts in the mail. I would either sell it 'as is' or not buy it back.

If I were you, I'd think long and hard about buying it back. Unless you're getting it for dirt cheap (i.e. under $1,500), I don't think it would be worth the time/hassle. If you're looking for a project/something to tinker with over the summer, it might not be a bad idea though.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Thats pretty much what i figured, i would want to get $1500+ and no one would give it... I think come end of May there will be lots of parts up for grabs.

only paid $500 to get it back, i said "yes please!" before the insurance lady even finished lol... I really bought it back so I could keep the motor/tranny... my dad has a 1972 C-10 he bought when he was 17 that's been in storage since about 1996 without a motor, so i'm thinking fun project time.

As for school, i graduate on the 22nd (WOOO!), so i will have plenty of time on my hands as i find a job. I used to be huge into late 80's turbo dodge's, had 4 daytona shelbys, an omni, and many parts cars, so i have been through parting alot of cars.
Hows this for a part out...? Then sold it like this for $100!