What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it worth it?

I went and looked at a 2001 Z28 1-SC A4 yesterday. The guy that owns it wants 7K for it and it only has 52K miles. Its pewter with hard top and no power options. I looked at it for about 3 hours and car runs and drives really good. However he hasnt been totally honest with me I dont think. The title is clear and clean but the car came from up north. I couldnt find no rust anywhere but under the hood they had what he called Z bart sprayed on the fender wells (rust repelant). Also some parts like the throttle body started corosion, seems like it all will clean up good tho. For the interior it has been smoked in and seems to me it has several little burns in the carpet and seats plus the carpet is stained in several spots. The body the paint has a few scratches but no dings.

When I called the guy he acted like it was mint. Told me it had only one scratch on the door. When I got to digging around in the interior I found broken glass everywhere. I asked him what was up with that and he said he thinks the passenger side window was broken out. I couldnt find anywhere or signs of wrecks but was wondering about flood damage. How can I tell if its been flooded? Just wanting some opinions and what to look for if I go back.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You looked at it for 3 hours? That guy must have alot of patience or alot of free time
Umm, did you run a carfax on it? I have bought a few cars over the years and in my personal experience, if something doesn't feel right, walk away from the deal plain and simple. Sometimes you can trick yourself into buying a headache just because you lose patience. If he can't tell you why there was glass shattered in the car, he probably hasn't had it that long. He may just be wheelin' and dealin' (which I don't have a problem with) but you better be sure there aren't major issues if you plan to spend 7K on it.

Besides it showing up on carfax, it is probably pretty hard to tell if a car has been flooded. I would say make sure all the electricals work but it has no power options. Make sure the brake lights work, tail lights, headlights etc.

It would also make good sense to have the car checked out by a shop before you buy it. You are spending 7K on the car, what's another $50 for them to look it over? I never understood how cheap/dumb a person can be about cars until my friend who doesn't even know how to change his oil bought a jeep wrangler with a massive rear main seal leak. He spent $11K on it and I asked him why he didn't take it to a shop and have it checked out first. His response, "well the sales manager said they checked it out and everything was perfect"
Old 10-04-2010, 08:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well it was about 2 hours he had to leave for about 30 mins or so. It was about a 3 hour drive for me and he didnt want to give me the vin number over the phone cause of scams. He told me he bought the car off a guy that he cosigned for his son but the son quit making payments. Hes had it for about 6months. All the headlights, blinkers, tail lights and horn worked. All the gauges work and holds good oil pressure. The factory radio was replaced but he told me one side of it burnt up on the factory one. As far as the window being busted out he said it was like that when he got it. Only glass that didnt match the rest was the passenger side. It had a different logo. All the body panels line up straight and doors shut good. Maybe Im being to picky just thought it would be a little nicer on the inside. Also didnt metion it but the car is bone stock.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Banned

Carfax is your best bet may cost a little bit but will save you big time in the long run if anything is wrong with it. personally id take power options in a sports car.. sounds to fishy to be messing around with though. To many hidden things.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Something sounds 'off'. We need a lot more info and you need to do a LOT more homework. If you don't get answers that make sense, move on.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone who doesnt want to give the vin out due to "scams" is retarded.. I have always asked for the vin to run a carfax check on, if they don't want to give me it then... lol I don't buy what they wanna sell. Simple as that
Old 10-04-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

yea Im working on the carfax. I should have wrote down the vin yesterday but at the time I was just going to think on it. I guess my problem at 52K miles I was thinking it should be close to mint.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Lots of people are hard on cars. I've seen so many with low miles that look filthy inside. I recently looked at a 20k mile car that seemed trashed inside compared to my 98k mile car.

Some people just don't care enough to take decent care of their things.

PS. I will never, ever, ever, ever buy another car that was smoked in. Made that mistake once, tried for a year to rid the car of that smell, gave up and sold it.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Lots of people are hard on cars. I've seen so many with low miles that look filthy inside. I recently looked at a 20k mile car that seemed trashed inside compared to my 98k mile car.

PS. I will never, ever, ever, ever buy another car that was smoked in. Made that mistake once, tried for a year to rid the car of that smell, gave up and sold it.
yea my 98 camaro with 100K was alot nicer on the inside. Thats the whole problem I keep telling myself if I dont like it I can just always sell it but with the economy and in my area people just not into fbodys. Also it didnt smell like smoke so maybe he did a good job on that.

thanks guys
Old 10-04-2010, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

^this. I see cars come into valet ruined and disgusting at 15k miles

Quick Reply: Is it worth it?