What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

rebuilt title vehicle, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rebuilt title vehicle, is it worth it?

i'm contemplating to buy a 2000 camaro M6, cammed but has a rebuilt title. the owner says no frame damage, the car got hit in front passenger fender and the insurance totaled it. guy wants to sell it for 6500

here's some information from his ad

I have a 2000 camaro SS SLP car ls1 6spd with only 79k miles. It has a comp cams kit including lifters, valve springs, push rods, and a 5.95 lift 2.81 duration cam. It also has SLP longtube headers, SLP airlid, flowmaster exhuast and has been tuned for the mods. It just got new tires about 4 months ago and recent clutch work as well. It does have a few flaws in the paint but it is still a very nice looking car.

what do you guys think. is it worth it?
Old 10-13-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I, and many others, consider 'title problem' cars off-limits but to those that want them, paying anything more than 50% of KBB 'private party' value is asking for trouble. Without looking up the value I would hazard that $6500 is too high.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:36 PM

i would stay away as well,,if the car were just hit in the front fender with minimal damage,the insurance wouldnt total it,,my guess is theres alot more damage than the selling is letting on,,,,my son bought a car on a salvage title here in cali,,,3 months later,,front end came unglued(almost literally since i think thats how they fixed it), if your serious about it,,id take it to a chevy dealership or a shop you really trust to go up on a rack and be completely checked out,,,just my opinion
Old 10-15-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NC01TA
I, and many others, consider 'title problem' cars off-limits but to those that want them, paying anything more than 50% of KBB 'private party' value is asking for trouble. Without looking up the value I would hazard that $6500 is too high.
I go half of KBB retail if the car looks flawless. It amazes me how many people ask ~$500 less than KBB private party great shape for a salvage title car. When I was shopping one guy was asking just under retail, and said he was giving it away..
Old 11-11-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

Just be wary of buying a car with a rebuilt title. Mine does but the only reason I have my car or ever would have one is I know the guy I bought it from, I can go to the salavge yard and see the cars before they are ever touched to see the amount of damage done and I've got people I personally know do great work to fix them. Just be careful getting a car with a branded title that you don't know an almost complete history on.

Quick Reply: rebuilt title vehicle, is it worth it?