What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

98-02 firehawk #598 salvage

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98-02 firehawk #598 salvage

Ok i found this firehawk on craigslist claiming to be a firehawk but has a ws6 hood which i belive is true he said it had 93k miles and was an auto and was wrecked from the front and said it was #598 not sure on the year but can anyone chime in on how much it can be worth?
Old 07-21-2012, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

The model year does matter a bit even though the salvage title is the main factor. The 93,000 miles is certainly nothing to get excited about either and makes this car just another F-body at this point, and worth about 50% of www.kbb.com book value under 'private party' fair condition pricing. That's why the year does matter. A 2002 would bring more $$ than a 1998 even with the bad history. Example: A clean titled 2002 WS6 with that mileage in 'fair' condition would be roughly $10,000, just $5,000 with a salvage title. A 1998 would be roughly $6,500 - $7,000, just $3,250 - $3,500 with the bad title. I wouldn't pay much more because of the Firehawk status but another $1,000 on top of the salvage prices wouldn't be awful if that was the only thing stopping the sale. Paying more than that is a mistake though. There is no collector value whatsoever with a car like this. Do NOT overpay.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So salvage just ruines the cars history?
Old 07-21-2012, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can call slp give them the vin and they can tell you if its a true firehawk

Justin
Old 07-22-2012, 07:30 AM
Teching In

There is plenty of info on the internet about buying a "salvage" vehicle. Personally, I would only ever buy one if I could determine exactly what led to the vehicle being a "salvage" vehicle and how the repairs were done. There are some folks who make money buying "salvage" vehicles, fixing them, and then selling them...but many of them document the entire process with pictures and paperwork in order to demonstrate that the car was repaired properly and professionally. Sometimes, it's not a bad way to go if you can get comfortable with what happened and how well the car was put back together. There was a person on here about a year ago that sold a Firehawk with a "salvage" title but he had documents and pictures to prove what had happened. It was a low mileage car and IIRC he ended up getting a decent chunk of change for the car.

Just remember, if you ever plan on selling the car, it will not be easy. Most people avoid "salvage" vehicles like the plague.

If I had to make a wild guess, I'd say this vehicle was probably involved in a front end collision which might be the reason for the WS6 hood....just guessing. Ask the seller if the airbags deployed and see if they were replaced or if the airbag covers were just re-installed. That's an expensive repair and would be somewhat of an indicator as to how well the vehicle was repaired...or if it was just thrown back together.

If you're serious about purchasing this vehicle, at minimum, have a mechanic and a professional body shop look it over REAL GOOD for you. On the surface, depending on the condition and assuming it is a real Firehawk, it sounds like a $5000-$6000 car at the very best.

Good luck.

Last edited by 95_Z_Twenty_Eight; 07-22-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by needtransam
So salvage just ruines the cars history?
Yes, forever.
Bad titles don't go away. Selling the car is extremely difficult. The current seller is going through that difficulty right now unless a comes along with no knowledge of salvage titles. I'd like to have a good laugh today so what is he asking??
Old 07-23-2012, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

$7000
Old 07-23-2012, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

$7000
OK, mission accomplished.
I saw and answered your other post about another 'salvage' title car. I know you want a car real bad but trust me on this; You don't want your car to be a headache, or even worse, a nightmare. It could be a terrible mistake and cost you the little money that you currently have. Save up a bit. It will be well worth it to get a nice clean title ride. Best of luck to you.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya dont buy a salvagd car just get a clean one with no accidents or major issues.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok i found this firehawk on craigslist claiming to be a firehawk but has a ws6 hood which i belive is true he said it had 93k miles and was an auto and was wrecked from the front and said it was #598 not sure on the year but can anyone chime in on how much it can be worth?
was this car in el paso, tx? if so it is a legit firehawk. i lived a few miles from him and went and looked at it. rough car.... believe its a 99 or 2000.... i can look back to be sure though. if you are looking to buy one i have a clean titled 01 navy blue metallic 1LE trans am firehawk for sale. PM me if you are interested and leave a number i can text or call back to.

Quick Reply: 98-02 firehawk #598 salvage