What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2000 Camaro Z28

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 03:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Camaro Z28

Hi everyone, I'm a long time Camaro fan and have spent the last several months searching for a clean 4th-gen Z28. I have been negotiating with a seller over the last couple weeks and would just like to get some opinions on whether it might be worth the price he's asking.

Here's a bit of a rundown of what I know so far:
One owner - clean CarFax - garage kept - 28,000 miles
Auto transmission - Z rated tires - 3.23 rear gears
Dark blue exterior - gray cloth interior
CD (Monsoon) - fog lights - ASR - power locks/windows/seat - both sets of keys and remotes
Completely stock

I haven't seen it in person yet, since it's a couple hours away, but the seller has described the car as "near perfect" and has provided several photos (see below). We're currently at $11,300. It's a little outside of my comfort zone, but everything I've checked out inside that zone (between $4k and $8k) have been very disappointing in terms of their condition. I'd hate to pass up on this car if it's a good deal, so let me know what you all think. Many thanks in advance.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say $11,300 might be a good price if it were an SS. Resale on Z28's is crap, and I really do not like the cloth interior on 2000+ cars, especially that light grey.

Pricing all depends on your area too. Some places like TX or CA these cars sell for a lot less because they are popular and easy to find.

I'd offer him $9500 and walk if he won't take it.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:55 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the response. I actually offered $10,500 and where we're at now is his counteroffer. As for availability... I pretty much live in the middle of nowhere so they're a little scarce. In my seven-month search, I've come across five 2000+ Camaros that aren't ridiculously overpriced (less than $15k). Two of them were Z28s (including this one). And that's within roughly 100 miles, none of them were in my immediate area. Each one I've checked out has been at least two hours away from where I live. It's been an exhausting search.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 537 Likes on 385 Posts

$11,300 is a very fair price for a stock one owner car with those low miles. Grab it if it all checks out.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply, NC01TA. I've been looking for quite a while and thought the price was pretty good, especially considering how some listed around my area range from $15,000 (red '96 Z28 w/ 50k miles) to $26,000 (pewter '02 SS w/ 5k miles).

I just really hope it's as nice as the guy selling it says it is. The only other Z28 I've looked at so far ('01 /w 79k miles - $7.5k) had a pretty bad fluid leak in the rear end and there was a slight tick in the engine that could be heard at a low idle (transmission in gear with the brake on). And someone had already warmed up the engine before I arrived because I could feel the heat coming off it and the seller tried to convince me that it hadn't been started that day.

Of course, those were some obvious warning signs that made me want to run away before I even took it for a test drive. But I took it for a spin anyway, and it was that drive that made me realize I definitely wanted a Z28 instead of a base model. In any case, I've done a lot of research, but I'm still pretty new to these fourth gens. Do you have any tips on what to look out for if/when I go check this thing out?
Old 11-04-2012, 01:54 AM
TECH Resident

Schrier Auto in Omaha? That's 50 miles from me. I'd pick it up myself for that price if it had 6 spd and leather. It's been on ebay/autotrader for quite a while, i'm sure they'll take a decent offer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...item3ccc0092e2
Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 537 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroWill
Thanks for the reply, NC01TA. I've been looking for quite a while and thought the price was pretty good, especially considering how some listed around my area range from $15,000 (red '96 Z28 w/ 50k miles) to $26,000 (pewter '02 SS w/ 5k miles).

I just really hope it's as nice as the guy selling it says it is. The only other Z28 I've looked at so far ('01 /w 79k miles - $7.5k) had a pretty bad fluid leak in the rear end and there was a slight tick in the engine that could be heard at a low idle (transmission in gear with the brake on). And someone had already warmed up the engine before I arrived because I could feel the heat coming off it and the seller tried to convince me that it hadn't been started that day.

Of course, those were some obvious warning signs that made me want to run away before I even took it for a test drive. But I took it for a spin anyway, and it was that drive that made me realize I definitely wanted a Z28 instead of a base model. In any case, I've done a lot of research, but I'm still pretty new to these fourth gens. Do you have any tips on what to look out for if/when I go check this thing out?
There should be almost no issues with those low miles. The pictures look real good. Check for leaks and study the undercarriage. If taken care of and maintained (fluid changes, etc..) any issues should be minor. No headlight concerns with a Z28 vs a Trans Am but I imagine the power window problems could be common in both models. Again, that is very minor. I have 31,000 miles on my T/A and no window problems, but I needed the pinion seal replaced. That was no big deal. $200 at a dealership plus they changed my differential fluid anyway. I've replaced the fan belts just due to age. If the owner has paperwork showing the maintenance, you are good to go. There should be new tires on the car by now. if not, expect $600- $800 for a decent set (Goodyear, whatever your preference). If the owner has done NOTHING with the fluids, add a few hundred dollars (dealership cost) to replace the Dexcool, brake fluid, power steering fluid, fuel filter. All should have been done just due to age. I have done everything and this car has been near flawless. If you like the car, get it unless something is seriously amiss. Don't worry about posters stating, "it's not an SS, or not a 6 speed". That is a personal choice for you, not anyone else. I love both. My T/A is an automatic and my GT is a 5 speed. To each his own. That Z28 looks sweet, from the photos, with most of it's life ahead of it. How can you go wrong for $11,300 unless it has been misrepresented? Don't be hesitant to travel. Get lots of pictures and talk a lot on the phone with every question you have before you go. Good sellers don't mind doing this. Best of luck!

Quick Reply: 2000 Camaro Z28