What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1998 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Trans Am

What's it worth? 62k miles. Replica z06 rims. Cracked dash and a little bit of faded clear coat on the bumper (quote 300$ repair for the bumper) are the only things wrong. Mods are SLP lid and magnaflow car back exhaust. Thanks in advance. I will upload pictures when I can
Attached Thumbnails 1998 Trans Am-image-3651387050.jpg  
Old 07-15-2014, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Really need a little more info. Clear title? How many owners? Garage kept or left outside in that desert sun? Need tires or anything?
Your typical 'fair to good' condition '98 T/A should bring about book value in your zip code but probably a bit more with just 62k miles. The pricing guides have little spread between 100k miles and 60k miles cars which is just not accurate unless the 60k miles car was abused or not kept up. Only you know that at this point. Provide more info for more accurate pricing. As has been stated many times in this section, it's all in the details. A one owner garage kept well maintained car is worth more than a 4 owner 'no history' car left outside 24/7.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Really need a little more info. Clear title? How many owners? Garage kept or left outside in that desert sun? Need tires or anything? Your typical 'fair to good' condition '98 T/A should bring about book value in your zip code but probably a bit more with just 62k miles. The pricing guides have little spread between 100k miles and 60k miles cars which is just not accurate unless the 60k miles car was abused or not kept up. Only you know that at this point. Provide more info for more accurate pricing. As has been stated many times in this section, it's all in the details. A one owner garage kept well maintained car is worth more than a 4 owner 'no history' car left outside 24/7.
Clean title, 2 owners, left out side I assume, tires are good needs a spare. Any other questions I should ask the owner?
Old 07-17-2014, 03:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Sorry, missed your reply yesterday. There are dozens of questions to ask the owner. Once you have covered what I inquired about before, get details on the maintenance. Only paperwork (documentation or a log) can be trusted, otherwise a visual inspection will be the only way to know for sure. Every fluid in that car should have been flushed/changed. Has it? How's that air filter? Fuel filter? These simple items can speak volumes about the car's history. Nothing will speak louder than your physical inspection of the car and your feel behind the wheel. Ask him why he is selling. Ask him if he knows anything about the prior owner. Of course everything out of his mouth could be a lie, or 100% accurate. This will be your call once you meet him in person. If you aren't comfortable with reading people or asking the right questions try to find someone to accompany you that has car knowledge. Just bringing someone else keeps you 'grounded' as well. It's amazing what others can see that we miss. I have my wife accompany me to every transaction. Her additional eyes (which are much more acute than mine) have spotted physical imperfections that I may have missed. There is so much going on at this time, never mind the 'adrenaline rush' of possibly buying the car.
What's it worth?? Really still not enough info for me but I would start an offer at KBB 'private party' www.kbb.com and see if you are close. Going higher than that is up to you. As I said before I feel a decent 62k miles car is probably worth a bit more than KBB, but not a lot more. Two owners, clean title in this case is certainly good news (hopefully) but not the cracked dash and left outside in the AZ sun. $6,000 is the low end in my part of the country according to KBB. That may be too low.
Post up again if you need more help or you get more details, especially what the seller's asking price is after all is known about the T/A. I still don't know if the current owner was a great guy that maintained the car completely (but unfortunately had no garage to keep it in), or an owner that did nothing to the car at all, drove it hard, and ignored it.

Last edited by NC01TA; 07-17-2014 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 07-17-2014, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For a 62K mile car there should be more wrong with it than a faded spot on the bumper and a crack in the dash. No cracks in the upper door panels? No weak window, antennae, or head light door motors? No wheel scuffs or rashes? No fluid leaks? Not a single mechanical "fault" or weakness that the owner can identify? Sort of surprised that the owner would be driving the car around without a spare.

Quick Reply: 1998 Trans Am