What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

1997 Firebird V6 *Engine problems* Value?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1997 Firebird V6 *Engine problems* Value?

Hi, guys. I have a 1997 V6 Firebird 72,000mi with the cool baby-blue paintjob. The car is in good shape on the body, no paint problems or anything like that... but when the oil pump went out on me I'm pretty sure it took bearings with it. When I last started the car (two years ago) it started squeaking like there was a dead bird in it. I haven't started it since...

As much as I want to rebuild this thing, I might not be able to financially for a long time. IF I'm forced to sell it as-is, what is a price for a car like this? A junkyard would throw me like $100, but it's such a pretty car I really don't want to junk it. Would $300ish be fair to sell?
Old 12-30-2016, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would think you could do a lot better than $300 if you still have clean body panels and nice paint on it. Most junk yards in my area would be happy to take it for $300. If just one person needs a door, hood, or deck lid, that's hundreds right there. Some local mechanic should be able to toss another V6 in there and have a car worth more than $300 + cost of the engine. Too bad it wasn't a V8.

When I was considering selling my 1997 Lincoln with 230K miles one guy wanted to give me $600 just to get one of the clean doors. The body panels were all rust and dent free. Since I was still driving it, I declined. A year later when I really wanted to sell it, that person was nowhere to be found. Isn't it always like that?
Old 12-31-2016, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

$500-$1000 wouldn't be unreasonable with the low miles.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
Too bad it wasn't a V8.
I ended up with a WS6 that is my daily driver now, but that's not for sale. AND IF I SEE ANY PROBLEMS WITH OIL PRESSURE I'M NOT TURNING THE CAR ON SO I DON'T GO THROUGH THIS AGAIN. LOL.

But, yeah, thanks for the advice guys. I'll see what I can do.

Quick Reply: 1997 Firebird V6 *Engine problems* Value?