What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Looking to sell

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to sell

Hey everybody. I have come to the time in my life where I may need to think about selling my 1998 z28. It's been a great car and kept very clean and never seen a winter. I thought I would get on here and see what every one thinks would be a good or fair price for my baby. It's got 102*** miles been very well kept up on maintence and zero oil leaks. Long tube headers and slp loud mouth exhaust with the slp cold air intake 6 speed with a new Luk pro gold clutch about 3000 miles on it. Any ideas on price would help. I'm still up in the air but for the right price to the right person I might be able to let it go. Thank you

my name is Kris and this is my first post so hopefully I'm not breaking any rules if this is in the wrong place please mods move to the right place.

Thank you
Old 07-18-2017, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you the original owner? That's a plus.

Color? Paint? Photos? When were brakes, suspension, tires, AC last serviced?

For a clean car, with decent paint could be in the $5K range....maybe even $6K if you were a real fastidious owner who never let the car see a ding, or a wear spot in the interior. My 1998 Z28 had 115K miles when I sold it and the interior was immaculate, paint solid without bubbling, chips, or clear coat peeling. It definitely needed suspension work though. We've some clean 1998-1999 Firebird M6's come through here with 90K miles and sell for approx $8K with nice upgrades and most of the systems freshened (new brakes, suspension, tires, clutch, etc).
Old 07-19-2017, 06:31 AM
Teching In

No I am not the original owner. I bought it in North Carolina with 60,000 miles on it about 10 years ago. It's silver the paint looks in great shape but could use a good buff and wax. Tires only have about 20,000 miles on them. Interior is not ripped up no signs of wear. I will try and get some pictures. I always get compliments on how it looks. The only thing I need to do to it is change out the ac compressor which I have in the garage. But I never use the ac with the t-tops so never really dug into it. The clutch is new about 3000-4000 miles ago.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,279 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by kheims
No I am not the original owner. I bought it in North Carolina with 60,000 miles on it about 10 years ago. It's silver the paint looks in great shape but could use a good buff and wax. Tires only have about 20,000 miles on them. Interior is not ripped up no signs of wear. I will try and get some pictures. I always get compliments on how it looks. The only thing I need to do to it is change out the ac compressor which I have in the garage. But I never use the ac with the t-tops so never really dug into it. The clutch is new about 3000-4000 miles ago.
Without pictures, any sort of condition assumption on our part is a shot in the dark based only on a verbal description. Some folks tend to under OR over represent their cars (usually the latter.) The only time that everyone can really agree on condition is when a car is literally brand new with nothing more than delivery mileage and is universally perfect - beyond that, all condition assessments seem to be subjective.

Having said that, if all it needs to look great is a good buff and wax, that's probably something you should take care of prior to listing it for sale. No matter how well you may have maintained it, if the finish looks neglected then it makes the whole car look neglected. Spending a day on the paint won't cost you much (if done yourself), but it might make the car a whole lot more appealing. If the headlights are hazy (typical problem with these if they haven't been kept waxed and/or out of the sun), you may be able to wet sand and polish them back to clarity - that really helps to freshen up the appearance on these and won't cost more than the sand paper and polishing compounds.

Depending on the tires, 20k miles could be well past half of their service life. All depends on how it was driven and the category of tire (higher performance tires don't often last more than 20-30k miles.)

Your location will also greatly influence true market value. If you are in the snow/rust belt and have a car that's never seen winter, that will certainly add to its appeal. If you're in an area with a high cost of living, that will also add some dollars to the price.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Is a 2001 too nice/new to sacrifice for the LS1 and 6 speed, with some other parts? Had one offered to me with a supercharger for $5K....

Quick Reply: Looking to sell