What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2000 z28 1 owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 07:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 z28 1 owner

Chevy dealer near my work took this on trade. Going to look at it tomorrow.

I owned an LT1 Camaro and loved it but had life events force me to sell it. It was $9,500 a few days ago, but they raised the price online yesterday..

I seen it in the lot and it looked great, and if it runs good I'll probably fall in love. Looks stock, but we'll see. I don't want to get blinders on, so in your opinion what is it worth?

I will report back after seeing and driving it. Let me know what you think

Link:
https://www.cabledahmer.com/sale/use...fp22g4y2173857
Old 06-01-2018, 03:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Typical dealer fluff in that ad, "super low miles" and such. 77k miles is low for an '00, but you can still find these cars with 4-digit mileage so this certainly isn't super low. Also, that "market value" price of $14,800 they have listed is garbage. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay nearly $15k for a stock, ~80k mile '00 Z28 A4. They are probably averaging data that doesn't belong, and/or using other inflated asking prices to get that number, in an attempt to make their asking price look like a steal.

As for the car itself, it actually looks very nice for the mileage. The headlights are still very clear/healthy looking, so it's most likely been garage kept. The interior looks very nice for the mileage (the driver's seat especially); the leather in these cars is not of the highest quality, so seat wear is common at this mileage unless someone was careful (which makes sense if it's truly a one owner vehicle - to keep a car like this for 18 years, someone must've really liked it). It does have the typical fender bulge at the bottom due to improper jacking, so you'll want to make sure that the fender mounting tabs aren't broken (this can easily be fixed/bent back as long as the plastic tab isn't broken off). The sport appearance package (RPO Y3F, ground effects and such) is a pretty polarizing option which most 4th gen enthusiasts don't like (not a ton were built, but many folks end up deleting the package due to dislike), so if they try to tell you this particular "rarity" makes it worth more - that's BS.

A Z28 would have to be particularly special to actually sell for $10k or more (e.g. much lower mileage, highly and properly modified, more desirable original content such as a manual, or some combo of these, etc.) but as an asking price (especially since they are a dealer) it's not an unexpected place to start. Overall the car appears to be well cared for and a nice example that could certainly be a good buy, but you'll know more once you check it over in person and see how it drives. If everything is good, a price around ~$8k is probably the max for something like this, all things considered.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the response. I looked at the car and it drove real nice. It was stock down to the exhaust and was really clean. I actually thought the RS body kit looked really good on the car, personally.

They told me they had another interested buyer working on securing financing. I thought they were bluffing, and offered $7500 cash. They turned it down and I went back to work. I told them I would think about it and be back later...

The salesman called me a little bit ago and told me the car was sold. He really wanted me to come drive a 2015 SS, but I'm not looking to spend 30k..

Plus I love 4th gens so the search continues.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You were fortunate they sold it to someone else. $10K is too high a price for that many miles...despite 1 owner status. For $10K you should be able to find a 20K-45K mile A4 no problems. I had a nice 1999 silver Z28 in my area for 2 years with 19,000 miles. The dealer was asking $12K initially and eventually was down to $10,500. They may still have it...lol. A dealer that raises the price after your first see it.....run like heck in the other direction. A Chevy dealer can't accurately price their own brand used car? Now we've seen it all.

I'd agree that $8000 or so was all the money on that car. 5 years ago my local Chevy dealer had a 2000 SS vert with 74K miles and couldn't get $9500 for it. They asked me to take it for $9K. They tried 3X on Ebay with no luck. And they started out at $12K.

Keep your eyes open. The great deal eventually shows itself. Plenty of 1998-2002 Z28's, SS's, and Firebirds too chose from. And it will almost always be via private party...in some cases who really don't know that they have. The price guides will also steer them to asking for less. For $10K in an A4 Trans Am or Z28/SS I wouldn't accept mileage over 50K. And I think you can find one with 25K-35K miles with a little patience. When I sold my 1998 Z28 A4 with 115K miles back in 2009 for $3K it was as clean as this 77K mile car. They should be clean if 1-2 owner and taken care of......mileage drives the majority of the price. And the lower it is, the more KBB/NADA are off. Your best bang for the buck are typically cars from 15K to 55K miles where the price guides greatly underestimate the mileage premium. They also give nothing no premium for an M6 which is normally +10-15% above an A4. I'd rather spend an extra $2K to get a 45K mile car vs. a 75K mile.

Darn, I bought my white 1998 A4 Z28 with 22K miles in 2001 for $14,500. And this Chevy dealer thought their 18 yr old car with 77k miles was the equivalent "value" of mine in 2001? Too funny.

Last edited by Firebrian; 06-02-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
I had a nice 1999 silver Z28 in my area for 2 years with 19,000 miles. The dealer was asking $12K initially and eventually was down to $10,500.
I remember that one, I thought it was a '98 though? You posted a link to it a couple years back, it stuck with me because it was a near duplicate of my '98 with a couple thousand more miles at the time. If it had been closer to home, I probably would have bought it just to have a spare.

For $10K in an A4 Trans Am or Z28/SS I wouldn't accept mileage over 50K. And I think you can find one with 25K-35K miles with a little patience.
As another point of reference, there was a '98 A4 Trans Am that sold twice in my area in the last ~18 months; the last time it sold, the final listing price was $8500. It was super clean and had only 45k miles. The previous time it sold was about a year earlier, 30 miles away, and the final listing price on that ad was $10.5k.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Chevy dealer can't accurately price their own brand used car? Now we've seen it all.
Long, long gone are the days where car salesman and dealerships in general know anything about cars (new or used) other than the price they have to have for it. Some of the higher end dealerships like Benz and Porsche still have salesman that know the cars they are selling. Last Chevy dealership I went to the salesman couldn't tell me the gas V-8's used in the half ton Silverado lineup.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

10K is about what that Z28 is worth because they are getting harder to find as 1 owners, I doubt the dealer goes lower then 9000-9500, even with 77K.
Overall I agree with the above though, if you have time to look and wait, you can come across a deal on a car with lower mileage as A4's don't have as much pull.