What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

super-clean 4th gen with just 22k on the clock...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 06:15 PM
LS1 Town Crier

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default super-clean 4th gen with just 22k on the clock...

Wow, this looks like a great car for 11k... It's low mileage, but not so low that you'd be scared to drive it, and it seems to have been well cared for. What do you think? Check out more pics here.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

My thoughts? Well, the addition of the bra, gold emblems and the wood grain interior kit are very unfortunate and immediate turn-offs (especially the interior kit). And I wonder what's hiding under the dash mat? If it was just there for protection, then it should have been removed for the sales pictures.

I think the price is a bit optimistic (edit: I see the price has dropped to $9800 since this was posted, getting a little closer to reality now), given the very low demand for A4 LT1 F-bodies. For example, I have recently seen two different Z4C (30th Anniversary package) '97 Z28s list for prices nearly the same with similar mileage - they didn't sell immediately, but were only around for a month or two so probably sold for within ~10% of their asking price. I would value this basic '95 car probably a couple thousand lower than an otherwise comparable Z4C Z28. But the CA market might bring more money across the board due to the cost of living there.

As for the implication that there's some sort of significant profit potential for this particular car at a B-J event in ~10 years, that is highly doubtful. Sale price may rise a bit depending on inflation over that period, but this car is not special enough, not low mileage enough, and won't be in high enough demand to offset the cost of ownership, overcome inflation and/or best other forms of more traditional investment over the next decade if speaking strictly for profit purposes. It would probably be a fun car to own for hobby purposes or as a driver, but this particular example is not likely to ever be a "collector's dream" nor a B-J show stopper.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 546 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
My thoughts? Well, the addition of the bra, gold emblems and the wood grain interior kit are very unfortunate and immediate turn-offs (especially the interior kit). And I wonder what's hiding under the dash mat? If it was just there for protection, then it should have been removed for the sales pictures.

I think the price is a bit optimistic (edit: I see the price has dropped to $9800 since this was posted, getting a little closer to reality now), given the very low demand for A4 LT1 F-bodies. For example, I have recently seen two different Z4C (30th Anniversary package) '97 Z28s list for prices nearly the same with similar mileage - they didn't sell immediately, but were only around for a month or two so probably sold for within ~10% of their asking price. I would value this basic '95 car probably a couple thousand lower than an otherwise comparable Z4C Z28. But the CA market might bring more money across the board due to the cost of living there.

As for the implication that there's some sort of significant profit potential for this particular car at a B-J event in ~10 years, that is highly doubtful. Sale price may rise a bit depending on inflation over that period, but this car is not special enough, not low mileage enough, and won't be in high enough demand to offset the cost of ownership, overcome inflation and/or best other forms of more traditional investment over the next decade if speaking strictly for profit purposes. It would probably be a fun car to own for hobby purposes or as a driver, but this particular example is not likely to ever be a "collector's dream" nor a B-J show stopper.
In other words, nobody wants an lt1 car.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:30 PM
LS1 Town Crier

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

All great points — I don't like the look of the wood package either.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

I think it's a nice purchase as a used car in the $9k range as long as nothing is hidden under the dash mat, and especially that style bra which tends to be abrasive against the paint at high speeds. I learned that the hard way with an old minivan. Thank heavens it didn't matter that much.
If I needed solid transportation as a teen or young adult this '95 would be a wonderful car to consider. I can see myself back in the day as a 18 or 19 year old with limited funds. I would be so happy to own this, and maintenance/repairs would be minimal with those miles.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the article: "And the aftermarket interior wood veneers actually look good!" LOL! No, they don't. At all.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For the price they're asking you should almost be able to buy a '98-00 LS1. And I agree the mods are sort of funkly. An elderly owner did that? Maybe so...it has wood grain trim like my 2001 Lincoln.

I wasn't aware these came with white sail panels. Maybe so. But for the 1998 Z28 it was black only on a white car's sail panel.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:44 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebrian
I wasn't aware these came with white sail panels. Maybe so. But for the 1998 Z28 it was black only on a white car's sail panel.
The monochromatic roof was optional on V8 Camaros under RPO D82 from 1995-'97 (almost positive this wasn't available in '93 or '94), but not for 1998 and up. The only way you'd get a body colored roof on a '98+ V8 Camaro is a B4C car or a Z4C 35th LE.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

What RPM WS6 said with these additional comments.

The wood interior will turn off 9 out 10 people that would have interest in the car. This car will be hard to sell with that interior. In ten years that wood interior would be an even bigger negative on an otherwise stock non-custom car.

The black bra is a major red flag in my opinion. They often chaff and damage the paint. They frequently hide damage. Car bra = automatic wouldn't consider personally owning the car unless budget included a repaint for the nose.

The gold emblems are a big negative to me.

Nothing special about a LT1 automatic. 1995 model is OBD 1 so In many places that's no emissions check. That's one positive for the car.

Value at a max of $3,500 now in 2018 if you want make money on this car in ten years in 2028. If the car has all the stock parts to replace the wood dash, gold emblems and nose is in perfect condition under that bra when, I'd value the car at a max of $6,500 now.