Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

285 DR's on a 9" rim

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 285 DR's on a 9" rim

What are the potential problems with using a 285/35/18 tire on a 18x9 rim? 275/35 is the ideal size for this rim. But anything bigger is suggested to be on a 9.5 or bigger rim.

Just wondering If i can use the Nitto 555r 285/35/18 on a 18x9 rim??

thanks
Chad
Old 08-06-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Amazing what you can find right from the manufacturer's web site . . .

Direct from Nitto . . . no it does not fit . . .
Old 08-06-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have 285s on my 17x9s. Circumstances made me go with them. I am going to 275s next week hopefully. but to answer your question no they do not fit
Old 08-07-2009, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

And you are running 17" diameter wheels . . . SIDEWALL HEIGHT MAKES A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Amazing what you can find right from the manufacturer's web site . . .

Direct from Nitto . . . no it does not fit . . .
a simple no would have worked. Maybe a reason as to why they dont fit. Thanks for your smart *** comment! I looked on the Nitto's site that is why i said in my post it wasnt a recommened fit. What problems would i run into going 1 size wider? Seems like a small amount. So did you even read my post, amazing what you can find reading before posting....
Old 08-07-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs down

I read your first post, and I have read your second post . . .

Why don't they fit??

WHY?

You demand a reason as to WHY they don't fit?

Your asking a forum of internet warriors WHY???

They do not fit because the MANUFACTURER says they don't!!! SURPRIZE!

What more do you need?

Yes there are plenty of ignorant people and careless tire installers that will install the wrong tire onto the wrong wheel. So does that magically make it OK because some fool did it?

Yes many have forced a 315/35R17 onto OEM 17" x 9" wheels, so I guess since Joe Bob did it it's perfectly acceptable . .

Others have forced 295/35R18 onto 9.5" wheels . . .

WTF is the point of running too big a tire on too small a wheel?

If you knew your answer then why ask it?

My smart *** answer comes from years of answering the same damned stupid question over and over.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Xsta Z28,

I asked because i wanted someone like you who has a better knowledge of tires than i do for an answer. I guess i did already know the answer. I just wanted to know the promblems that it would cause. Just hard to understand why a 275 fits but not a 285. Seems like such a small amount to go from being the recomended size 275 on a 9" to a 285 being "not safe/ not recomended". Now of course i would never attempt to put 305 on a 9" rim because someone else has made it work. But in that case maybe there is not limit to being not safe. If it dosent fit it dosent fit. I tried not to be the dumb question guy and i guess i was pissed when you gave me the dumb question guy answer. Thanks for your time and explantion.

Chad
Old 08-07-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

And you are running 17" diameter wheels . . . SIDEWALL HEIGHT MAKES A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!
i know they arent supposed to be on there, but like i said, circumstances made me put them on
Old 08-07-2009, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

Here's my take, for what it's worth and I'll probably be flamed by a mod for this. I was recently looking to see how wide of a drag radial I could run on a 18x9.5 wheel. I did some search on here and corvetteforum and found that a few guys over there have run a 305/35/18 Mickey Thompson drag radial on this rim size. They reported NO sidewall bulge and were very happy with how the tires fit the 9.5" wide wheel. If I were you, I'd look at the difference of section widths between this tire and the tire you're wanting to run and see if you want to attempt it. I can't speak for everyone, but the lateral loads we put on these cars as daily driver or straight line machines, sidewall flex/rolloff becomes much less of a concern compared to a vehicle going to be used in autocross type competition.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Photochop
Here's my take, for what it's worth and I'll probably be flamed by a mod for this. I was recently looking to see how wide of a drag radial I could run on a 18x9.5 wheel. I did some search on here and corvetteforum and found that a few guys over there have run a 305/35/18 Mickey Thompson drag radial on this rim size. They reported NO sidewall bulge and were very happy with how the tires fit the 9.5" wide wheel. If I were you, I'd look at the difference of section widths between this tire and the tire you're wanting to run and see if you want to attempt it. I can't speak for everyone, but the lateral loads we put on these cars as daily driver or straight line machines, sidewall flex/rolloff becomes much less of a concern compared to a vehicle going to be used in autocross type competition.
So again just because you've found some one on the internet that is STUPID enough to force too big a tire onto too small a wheel, it is perfectly acceptable to jeopardize your safety, possibly your life and all of those who drive around you? Smart, real smart.

Those mundain round rubber donuts are the ONLY thing keeping your car safely on the ground.

A square peg WILL fit in a round hole, you ject need a big enough hammer.

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
i know they arent supposed to be on there, but like i said, circumstances made me put them on
I know but the OP is asking about 18" wheels, not 17" like you are running . . .

The wheel size affects the sidewall hieght, thus affects what will/should fit on a wheel, that is what I am referring too . . .
Old 08-07-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Veteran

So again just because you've found some one on the internet that is STUPID enough to force too big a tire onto too small a wheel, it is perfectly acceptable to jeopardize your safety, possibly your life and all of those who drive around you? Smart, real smart.

Those mundain round rubber donuts are the ONLY thing keeping your car safely on the ground.

I know but the OP is asking about 18" wheels, not 17" like you are running . . .

The wheel size affects the sidewall hieght, thus affects what will/should fit on a wheel, that is what I am referring too . . .
oh ok i see what you mean now
Old 08-08-2009, 10:51 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

. .

No you don't. You just need the diagonal measurement of the square to be less than the diameter of the hole and it'll slide right in.

To the original poster. Every tire manufacturer is a little bit different in their measurements. Point is, every 275 wide tire isn't exactly the same from one manufacturer to another. That's why some tires of the same size look different than others. Nitto's typically run on the narrow side, so if you are running narrow with a 275, try a 285 and see how it fits.

I've heard the argument that 5x120 wheels will cause my car to explode going down the road, but after taking measurements of factory wheels, vs. mine, the factory wheel that was 5x120.65 was actually 120.21mm and my Ruff rims were 120.28mm .

So the moral of the story is, buyer beware. Just like was stated, don't beleive what you read or what you're told. Do your own research when it's you car on the line.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
No you don't. You just need the diagonal measurement of the square to be less than the diameter of the hole and it'll slide right in.

To the original poster. Every tire manufacturer is a little bit different in their measurements. Point is, every 275 wide tire isn't exactly the same from one manufacturer to another. That's why some tires of the same size look different than others. Nitto's typically run on the narrow side, so if you are running narrow with a 275, try a 285 and see how it fits.

I've heard the argument that 5x120 wheels will cause my car to explode going down the road, but after taking measurements of factory wheels, vs. mine, the factory wheel that was 5x120.65 was actually 120.21mm and my Ruff rims were 120.28mm .

So the moral of the story is, buyer beware. Just like was stated, don't beleive what you read or what you're told. Do your own research when it's you car on the line.
i dont post very much, as you can see, if you use the search button you can find an example of just about anything you would need to post for, and i cant agree more with doing your own research!

-kevin
Old 08-09-2009, 02:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read your first post, and I have read your second post . . .
Why don't they fit??
WHY?
You demand a reason as to WHY they don't fit?
Your asking a forum of internet warriors WHY???
They do not fit because the MANUFACTURER says they don't!!! SURPRIZE!
What more do you need?
Yes there are plenty of ignorant people and careless tire installers that will install the wrong tire onto the wrong wheel. So does that magically make it OK because some fool did it?
Yes many have forced a 315/35R17 onto OEM 17" x 9" wheels, so I guess since Joe Bob did it it's perfectly acceptable . .
Others have forced 295/35R18 onto 9.5" wheels . . .
WTF is the point of running too big a tire on too small a wheel?
If you knew your answer then why ask it?
My smart *** answer comes from years of answering the same damned stupid question over and over.

Originally Posted by Chadlee2KZ
Xsta Z28,

I asked because i wanted someone like you who has a better knowledge of tires than i do for an answer. I guess i did already know the answer. I just wanted to know the promblems that it would cause. Just hard to understand why a 275 fits but not a 285. Seems like such a small amount to go from being the recomended size 275 on a 9" to a 285 being "not safe/ not recomended". Now of course i would never attempt to put 305 on a 9" rim because someone else has made it work. But in that case maybe there is not limit to being not safe. If it dosent fit it dosent fit. I tried not to be the dumb question guy and i guess i was pissed when you gave me the dumb question guy answer. Thanks for your time and explantion.

Chad
the reason a 285 wont fit and a 275 will is because the 275 is smaller and the 285 is bigger...

thats an easy one!
Old 08-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lemons12

the reason a 285 wont fit and a 275 will is because the 275 is smaller and the 285 is bigger...

thats an easy one!
another great answer... Thanks guys. Have the love the forums.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, I think this dead horse has been beaten enough . . .

Quick Reply: 285 DR's on a 9" rim