Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommendations?

I'm not going to sit here and ask you guys to name me a definite "best tire," however I do want a few opinions on the tires I should get. I'll tell you the criteria I want the tire to meet to kind of help you guys help me. I want a tire that has really good grip from standing still, my main gripe about my last tires were that they absolutely couldn't grip under any conditions which killed my launches at the track. Second, I want a tire that can withstand at least 160 MPH, not so much that I'm going to be pushing it that hard, but I know that if it can withstand that much then it can withstand some abuse at the track. Finally, I want a tire that's going to respond to my Brembo's, my tires now couldn't stop on a runway strip, and that's not because of my brakes. So essentially I want a high performance tire with really good grip. Traction isn't so much a big deal as performance or grip, it's a RW drive car, I can't expect it to get perfect grip in heavy rain or snow . Thanks in advance .
Old 08-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are my personal favorite...........http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ce+T%2FA+KDW+2
Old 08-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Hm, those look pretty interesting. It seems like they have really bad road noise though. Any personal stories?
Old 08-08-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

i really like the BFG's but i have never had a problem with my nitto's. they have decient grip. (if i punch it around 15 it will spin till 45 but they also have about 7k on them) plus they are cheaper
Old 08-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mustang Killer
Hm, those look pretty interesting. It seems like they have really bad road noise though. Any personal stories?
I cant hear them over my exhaust, so Im not really sure. If you look at the reviews, some say they are loud and others say they are not. I dont mine either way because the grip is awsome.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some insight into what mods you have, suspension setup, how much power you were making, the size you need, and the old tires you were running that you weren't happy with would help.

Being unsatisfied because you were blowing the tires off with something like a BFG KDWS (the all season) would be a lot different that blowing off something like a GoodYear GS-D3 or a Nitto DR.

The KDW's seem to be really hit or miss as far as road noise. I road in a friend of mine's Z28 with them on in a 295/35/18 and it was pretty quiet. I also rode in another friend's supercharged GT Mustang with the same tires in the same size and you could still hear them over the motor at light throttle.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=61

I've been running them in the summers and love 'em. No noise and very comfortable(compared to my winter tires they absorb bumps much better almost like putting on better shocks). Grip is amazing in dry and wet.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jimbo98z
Some insight into what mods you have, suspension setup, how much power you were making, the size you need, and the old tires you were running that you weren't happy with would help.

Being unsatisfied because you were blowing the tires off with something like a BFG KDWS (the all season) would be a lot different that blowing off something like a GoodYear GS-D3 or a Nitto DR.

The KDW's seem to be really hit or miss as far as road noise. I road in a friend of mine's Z28 with them on in a 295/35/18 and it was pretty quiet. I also rode in another friend's supercharged GT Mustang with the same tires in the same size and you could still hear them over the motor at light throttle.
I suppose that would help lol . I've got a bone stock 2002 Z28, I've got the ram air mod and a descreened MAF, that's about it lol. No suspension mods at all, though I'm about to put an OEM SS front sway bar on it. My old tires were 16", but I kind of want to change it up and put wider tires on the back (similar to a Z06, but not to that extreme) and maybe even go up to 17" front and rear if I can do that without having to make any major modifications. My old tires were Bridgestone Fuzion ZRi tires. Hope that helps, thanks for all the input !
Old 08-12-2009, 11:09 AM
FormerVendor

I would recommend you check out the Toyo Proxes T1R. We get a lot of great responses from our consumers. If you are looking for something more competition like tire, I would also check out there Toyo R888, RA-1 or maybe their R1-R. You can see them all at the following link: http://www.treadepot.com/tires/toyo.html
Old 08-14-2009, 12:15 AM
Staging Lane

Hm, okay thanks. I might go with those tires, they seem like they all have really good grip which is exactly what I need. The R1R's look particularly interesting. What about sizes though? Like I said I want to run a similar set up to the Z06, with wide rear tires.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:59 PM
FormerVendor

Mustang Killer, give me a call and we can go through some sizes and determine what would be the best tire for you. Sorry it took some time to get back to you.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

No problem. I'll definitely contact you whenever I get around to purchasing the tires. Rest assured, I will definitely buy them from you .