Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

is this safe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this safe?

i had these wheels put on my car when i first returned from my deployment in the beginning of march. all 4 tires were brand new. i had previous posts about an issue i came into with my wheels i bought used, they had some corrosion, some sharp edges, etc on the inside of the rim where the tire edges meet, had some bead leaks, blah blah blah.

well i had some drag radials put on and put my rear tires in my garage and never looked at them. well i'm planning on putting my regular tires back on today and selling my DRs. i came across this when cleaning them. it looks really bad, but the cut is on the inner edge of the tire (part of the tire that shows on the outside of the car). it doesn't look like it will interfere with the bead sealing, then i saw the chunk missing from another. all this must have happened when i had them on initially and had all the tire pressure problems.

my question is can i mount these and be good to go because none of this is on the outside of the tire, or the sidewall? it doesn't go up to the part that actually makes the seal with the rim, and the rest of the tire is good on the inside and sides. any input would be great. i'm trying to do this within the next hour or two that way my sunday isn't spend at the auto shop. thanks and sorry for the long post...

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 08-09-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea you will be fine. People come into the shop all the time with tires that look like that and they seal just fine.
Comes from people dismounting them and being careless.

I would be worried if it was a bigger area and more of the cord was showing.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Launching!

so as long as it's not actually on any part that makes the seal i'm good?
Old 08-09-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And if they say they cant mount them because of it they are full of **** and are trying to sell you new tires. I guarantee that will not harm the tire in any way. I have been in the tire business for 2 years now.
Dont even bring up the tears, just take them in and tell them to mount them.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wtomlinson
so as long as it's not actually on any part that makes the seal i'm good?
Yea you are perfectly fine, if you are concerned at all after the tire is mounted just put some water around the bead and look for little bubbles.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CO99Z28Vert
Yea you are perfectly fine, if you are concerned at all after the tire is mounted just put some water around the bead and look for little bubbles.
oh yeah i went through tons of water and bead sealant the first time i put the new tires on. after that i took a little 1/4" angle sander with the little pads and went to town on the inside of my rim. sealed great with my drag radials so it should be good now.

thanks for the quick response. now i can finish scrubbing all the junk off the inside.