Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Thoughts on Convo Pro's

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thoughts on Convo Pro's

Any opinions on Convo Pros on a 99 Z28? If you have some good pics, please post. I have a pewter Z and was considering a set of those (used)- Weld and Centerline have a few affordable wheels ($150 or so a piece), trying to decide.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

I like em. I think they look tuff, do a search and you will find some pics.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Shouldn't have done a search. I really like the Weld Pro Stars!!!!!
Old 12-17-2003, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You have to grind alot of caliper with the Welds.

Center Line you don't have to grind but the Convo Pro's don't have the back spacing.

I ended up with Center Line Warriors. 15x10 with 6.5" BS and a little grinding but nothing like you have to do with the Welds.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

What about the Centerline Champ 800's. Anybody have those?
Old 12-22-2003, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 12-24-2003, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by blkbeaZ28
Are the rears 7.5 or 8.5 wide?

Thanks

John
Old 12-24-2003, 12:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know my post may be a bit biased...I will try to keep it to facts more then my opinion.

The best choice is Bogart rims, even though they are a little higher priced, your getting much more for your $$.

With the centerlines, you are adding over 100 lbs to your car vs the Bogart P1 series rims. Unsprung weight shouldn't be overlooked. You may have seen me comment on this before, I see guys purchasing other go-fast parts that make up the difference in cost of Bogarts just to loose weight and/or 1/4 mile times.

Bogarts are designed to fit FOR F-bodies. There is no one-size-fits-all. Backspacing is optimized. 10 inch rims are the best choice as traction is always an issue, why handicap yourself to a smaller tire with smaller rims(unless your racing class tells you otherwise). 11.5 inch tires are a great choice for the 10 inch rim.

The rims retain a show quality finish. If appearance is of any concern, this should also be a consideration as wheels can make/break a car since its one of the aftermarket mods that probably get the most attention. Wheel design choices are VERY large to choose from so you even have choices in that department.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Old 12-24-2003, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve10
I know my post may be a bit biased...I will try to keep it to facts more then my opinion.

The best choice is Bogart rims, even though they are a little higher priced, your getting much more for your $$.

With the centerlines, you are adding over 100 lbs to your car vs the Bogart P1 series rims. Unsprung weight shouldn't be overlooked. You may have seen me comment on this before, I see guys purchasing other go-fast parts that make up the difference in cost of Bogarts just to loose weight and/or 1/4 mile times.

Bogarts are designed to fit FOR F-bodies. There is no one-size-fits-all. Backspacing is optimized. 10 inch rims are the best choice as traction is always an issue, why handicap yourself to a smaller tire with smaller rims(unless your racing class tells you otherwise). 11.5 inch tires are a great choice for the 10 inch rim.

The rims retain a show quality finish. If appearance is of any concern, this should also be a consideration as wheels can make/break a car since its one of the aftermarket mods that probably get the most attention. Wheel design choices are VERY large to choose from so you even have choices in that department.

Hope this helps,

Steve
The weight of a Center Line Convo Pro or Warrior wheel is around 13 lbs for the rear and even less for the skinny front. How can you add 100lbs compared the Bogart wheels? How much do the Bogart's weigh?
Old 12-24-2003, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

I was wondering the same. I would have a hard time believing the Convo's or Centerlines are heavier than the 16" stock wheel. I know first hand the Bogarts are very light as I have worked on my friends formula that has those with et streets and they're stupid light but they are also not designed for street use. Everyone's taste differs, so I'm not so hip on some of the Bogarts. No offense, I just have a hard time finding a good looking wheel for mine and my wife's taste. That makes it even more difficult.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unprung weight is calculated differently. This, as mentioned previously should not be overlooked as it's a large factor in weight/driveline losses.

Redlinez, no offense taken, we have many styles to meet many needs. Obviously we can't meet everyones taste but we try our best.

I am making my statments directly per centerlines "rule of thumb" (and many others). They state and others that there is a 1 to 8 relationship regarding unsprung to static weight. here>>> http://www.centerlinewheels.com/faq.php#weight

Directly from centerline rep, the rims weigh +14 lbs for the rears and +11 lbs for the fronts, this is a average of about 13 lbs heavier total then a similar sized Bogart wheel complete set.
13 lbs x 8 lbs is 104lbs. Even using the number of 13 lbs/rear mentioned above, brings the weight to 88 lbs heavier then Bogarts. Guys going with an aftermarket k-member and a-arms don't even see this kind of a gain!

Since centerline rims are heavier, does this mean they are stronger? NO. Since Bogart rims are lighter, does this mean they are weaker? NO. Furthermore, I am also not stating that centerline rims or other rims are inferior rims...Most drag rims that are made for drag racing state that this is their intent. They generally are not meant to be used on the street. This is the case with our rims also.

I cannot tell one to use the rims on the street. I do not have control if they do so. When using ANY drag rims on the street, you have to be cautious. I cannot control what any indivual does with the rims after they leave the shop. It appears from my reading and from what some people have told me that they are using them on the street without issues. Once again, I have no control what they do with the rims. I can tell you that our track record of +2 years using them on F-bodies, from my knowledge, we have had only TWO rims fail.

On another note, we are in the process of working with a new prototype design that would be considered more streetable which should also enable the use of larger caliper/rotor combonations. These should be available by mid-January.

Last edited by steve10; 12-24-2003 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

The rears in those pictures are 8.5"

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Convo Pro's