Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

are tires still good??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default are tires still good??

hey guys, i just had my girl friends gto wheels powder coated. and was looking at the tires and seen that around the bead of tire chunks where missing. wonder if it would still be safe to use them or not. i am going to get them put on tomorrow. but i just wanted to know if i needed 2 new tires or not. one of the chunks are in the inside and the other is on the outside.

they are falken ziex z912- 245/45/17
here are some pic's

Old 02-11-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Junkie

I think they're fine. I know I've used tires like that, hopefully someone else will reply.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

I've seen some like that before too and seemed to be ok might want to mark the bad spots then check them with soapy water to make sure they don't leak.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I probably wouldn't use those tires. One looks like it probably wouldn't even hold air. Haven't a torn bead is one thing, having a huge chunk missing is totally different. Good suggestions made previously, if you want to use them you should mark the spots and then if you manage to get air to hold check them really well.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Obviously, whoever removed those tires from the rims wasn't too careful!! If it was a "tire shop", I think you should be discussing with them how they're going to give you a discount on another set (pair) of tires.

The small tears aren't too bad, but that one pic shows a pretty good chunk missing. I think that tire would have issues with holding air...remember, sidewalls flex when you go around corners, and might expose that missing chunk, leading to deflation.

I can see in the pics that they are Falken tires. I've had a couple sets of Falkens, and was very satisfied with them. My point, however, is that they're good tires, but not really expensive tires. You may want to consider some new ones as cheap car insurance....
Old 02-12-2010, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

tires look fine, just as stated above, mark it, and check for leaks..

how much was the powdercoating btw?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tire in the 3rd pic is bad. do not put that on a wheel and air it up!!! its not an issue of them holding air its a safety issue. If they do not explode when the installer is "seating the bead" it will cause a sidewall bubble and will burst, Its only a matter of time.

BTW i have worked in the tire industry for many years. If a tire in that condition was brought to my shop to be mounted i would tell the customer to kick rocks. It only took 1 time of a tire exploding in my face for me to learn my lesson.

Tyler
Old 02-13-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They seem fine but i would be carefull with em and like everyone else is sayin just keep an eye on em
Old 02-15-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont know... they are Falkens... Im just saying I have had nothing but bad luck with Falken brand tires. I think for the most part you will be fine tho
Old 02-15-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Listen to me.... the tire in the 3rd picture is a death trap...END OF STORY. For the safety of all that might ride in your car and all the other drivers on the road, DO NOT PUT THAT TIRE ON A WHEEL. It really bothers me that some people are telling you "it should be ok, Just put some soapy water on it" They are putting you and the installer in danger.

IM not trying to scare you or call anybody stupid. but they are misinforming you. I just want you to be safe and make that tire into a tire swing. Thats all its good for now.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:19 AM
Launching!

I had a tire like the first pic posted and the shop I was using wouldn't mount it for me at all, I ended up having to throw the tire away! The place I got the tires from gave me a refund but in the end I ended up with mismatching treads for my rear tires