Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Chrome Wheel bubbling

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Wheel bubbling

I noticed one of my wheels had a slight raised spot near the valve and was wondering if it's normal for when a chrome wheel bubbles if it has a crack on the bubble. These are factory wheels. And is bubbling just something that happens or does something particular cause it such as neglect because I clean the wheels and tires at least once a month? If it matters they are the 16 inch factory wheels and I think they have a clear coat of the chrome I have no idea tho.

Last edited by kcsov6; 03-07-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This can happen from a few things. Neglect from cleaning is a typical one and this is why I will never own a set of chrome wheels for a winter driven car. Another reason is due to poor application of the chrome. This can lead to the chrome bubbling over time. And sometimes it just happens with age.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to bring up this old thread, I just really need help. This car has been winter driven and now see another wheel is bubbling. Could this be caused from not cleaning it until after our 10 week winter season?
Old 05-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Teching In

i guess it could. normally pealing chrome is from when the chrome is applied or from salt water getting on them as far as i know. however i do know the only way to fix it is to get the chrome stripped off and get it rechromed.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

The wheels are kind of old as I bought them off of a 98 Trans Am. Could this just be from age? I wouldn't be so worried but I'm about to invest in a new set of rims and I want to avoid something I've done wrong if this is the case?
Old 05-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Teching In

in all honesty i will never own chrome for this exact reason. i work in a tire shop and i see cars that are trashed and not taken care of with out the chrome pealing and i see high end cars that are garage kept and babied and the chrome is pealing and vise versa. if you drive you car on the street there is a chance that your chrome will peal. as far as i iknow there is really no way to really prevent it. you just have to get lucky
Old 05-09-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm not a fan of chrome wheels at all bc of the risk of peeling and they're tacky IMO. To the OP, the wheels could be peeling for numerous reasons. As mentioned, poor chrome job, not cleaning correctly/regularly etc etc.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Alternative to chrome wheels? Aluminum better?
Old 05-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Teching In

if you want shiny wheels your best alternative is polished or machined wheels and preferably with a couple clear coats on them
Old 05-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

I really dont understand what the big deal is with people being scared of chrome wheels or making a big issue if one is peeling. You do realize they can be rechromed to good as new condition right? For a reasonable amount of money.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kamaa150
if you want shiny wheels your best alternative is polished or machined wheels and preferably with a couple clear coats on them
this is your best looks/maintaining ratio
Old 05-10-2010, 10:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to work at a tire/lube express and we saw this aaaaalllll the time, even on cars that are only a few years old...makes me steer away from chrome as well...makes them impossible to balance too when it gets worse
Old 05-11-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder
I really dont understand what the big deal is with people being scared of chrome wheels or making a big issue if one is peeling. You do realize they can be rechromed to good as new condition right? For a reasonable amount of money.
True, they can be rechromed, but rechroming a wheel sure isn't cheap.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Chrome wheels also will bubble/peel where the hot brake dust hits the corner if the spokes or hole in the wheel. I always like chrome but u definitely need to maintain it and it will stay nice for a long time. sealants and waxes on them do wonders. But there is nothing you can do about cheap chrome. but you mostly see this in replica wheels and such. Not usually factory.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

You mentioned sealers and waxes, what would be the best thing to clean my wheels with? I used mothers chrome polish but since the wheels have a clear coat I don't know what to clean them with. I've been using meguiars chrome wheel cleaner or something you just spray it on n wash it off and then wipe them.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

I have made a break through. One of my wheels that started peeling, the clear coat had come off last year on that part. I had forgotten that. Could this be causing a problem? The other wheel peeling I think is just bad luck (adhesion problem from chroming process)
Old 05-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blownhotrodder
you are correct sir rechomed wheels are as good as new. however lets say you buy a chrome 17 in wheel for 200 and i buy a powder coated wheel for 150. then the chrome stars pealing. ok cool so you can just get it rechromed. well when you are all said and done with rechromeing, dismounting, remounting, balancing, tax, and BS fees your looking at minimum 200 for a 17 in wheel and that with a hook up. so you just spent 400 on one wheel and i spent 150. im not a math genius but id say i saved a lot of money. now you can get it rechromed for less but if you do you will have to get it rechromed annually due to more peal so might as well get it done right. thats just what i know from personal experience
Old 05-18-2010, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Got a new rim and going to have new tires put on all around. The original 3 wheels had weights on them and I'm worried when I have the new tires put on the original weights will have hurt the chrome. Does anyone know if this will have hurt them?

Quick Reply: Chrome Wheel bubbling