Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Need help finding the proper tire size...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need help finding the proper tire size...

I'm just gonna start off by saying I have no freakin clue what the metric tire sizes mean. But I'm running mickey thompson et 275/40/17 on my Stock 9.5 inch wide SS wheels..
They look horrible on there .. I need the tire to be taller, but keep the width that's on there. I never plan on lowering my car so there shouldn't be a problem there..
What size should I be looking for then? There's just too much gap between the tire and body of the car..
Old 10-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Teching In

bump.. anybody?
Old 10-29-2010, 08:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock suspension? Our cars basically come with the Z71 off road suspension from the factory. Even if you get a taller tire, it's going to leave basically the same amount of space in the wheel well because all the tire is doing is lifting the car further from the ground. If you want the look of the tire/wheel being tucked under the car more, you will probably have to think about lowering your car an inch or so.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you drastically change the OD of the rear tires, you'll mess up your speedomenter readings, and possibly the traction control/ABS systems. The best way is to slightly lower the car, to close up the fender gap.
Old 10-30-2010, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

You could get some Mud-Terrains! Im sure that would put enough sidewall on there for ya! Im just kidding, Anything taller than the stock 275/40 will mess with your speedo (and odometer), possibly ABS system, not too mention it will just look rediculous. Im with everyone else, best way to cure your problem is to lower the car. There are plenty of companies out there that offer kits. If you do lower the car, I say do your research first. Know what your expectations, ride/handling, and future plans are for the car. Are you gonna track or Auto X it or is it strictly a street car? I just recommend looking into these things before/if you settle on purchasing a kit.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ They couldn't have said it any better IMO.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stock wheels are 9" wide . . . .