Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

New Wheels... Wheel Locks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Wheels... Wheel Locks?

Just recently picked up a set of OEWheels C5 rims.
Bought new tires, and put them on the other day.

Although, with the holidays coming, and people seemingly getting more and more desperate for quick cash, I'm getting kinda paranoid about walking out to my car one morning and finding it on cinder blocks.

So, wheel locks? I've never had/bought a set before. Shed some light for a noob?
I've seen plenty of wheel locks at VatoZone, but that makes me feel like any wannabe thief could easily get those removed.
Also, what size do I need?

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By a set of splined lug nuts (be safe and get 2 installation sockets.) They are smaller diameter, fit in the lug holes with more room and you, in effect, have a locker on each stud.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see i am not a big fan of wheel locks because while they can deter some thief's anyone with a wheel lock removal kit will rip them off just as easy. If someone really wants them there going to get them unless the car is inside. Then of course its a whole different ball game
Old 12-17-2010, 07:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jditlfm
see i am not a big fan of wheel locks because while they can deter some thief's anyone with a wheel lock removal kit will rip them off just as easy. If someone really wants them there going to get them unless the car is inside. Then of course its a whole different ball game
I know what you're saying, and if a true thief really wants your wheels, he/she will simply take the whole car, and then go to a place where they can remove the wheels at their leasure.

To deter the "amateurs", what I do is run two locking lugs on each wheel. I buy then directly from either McGard or Gorilla Automotive, and when you request two sets with the same pattern, you automatically get a spare "key".

MANY years ago, my auto insurance agent told me about one of his clients who had a Corvette, and lived in an apartment building. The guy had one lock per wheel, so the wheels weren't stolen, but the thieves were disappointed that they couldn't get the wheels. They decided to "punish" the guy by taking the rest of his lugs.

Naturally, how many people check their lug nuts when they approach their car?? He saw 4 wheels on the car, hopped in, fired it up, backed out of his spot, and made it all of 10 feet, before the studs broke off, and jammed 4 wheels/tires up into the fenderwells of his fairly new car...
Old 12-17-2010, 09:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 505 Likes on 365 Posts

Any preventative measure you take is just one more frustration for a thief. Many times they will move on to easier prey, just like car burglars. They look for the open doors instead of the locked doors. Time is of the essence for criminals.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, looking for black lugs and locks.

Anyone recommend a brand? Link would be great. Or can they be bought locally?