Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Random thoughts in praise of the lowly 16" snowflake

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Random thoughts in praise of the lowly 16" snowflake

I've always liked my chrome snowflakes. I like a bit of chrome, esp in the sunshine.
I'm an older guy, and sometimes I think tall rims and mini sidewalls are an acquired taste, like rap and hiphop.

But to hang out on LS1 you get the feeling you HAVE to get new rims. I've seen fbodies on here that still have their factory exhaust, but have new rims.

As I've had cash to spare I've put it into SOTP mods, first suspension, then under hood.

Anyway yesterday I was feeling guilty again about not being on the new wheel bandwagon and went online to try to find something I'd like better than original Camaro chrome snowflakes.

I decided OK maybe I could go with 17" Z06 replicas: (My Z28 is Pewter)
Then today I was out and saw no less than 2 little cars, a ford focus (I think) and a VW beetle with these same black Z06 replicas! I kid you not!

These I think you only see on a few Camaros:

So... I can only go as wide as 245 tires. But you know, apart from my 4.11 gears, I still have a stock rear end. A little slip of rubber takes the load of the differential.

It's not until I got up to 376 ft/lbs torque that I've been able to chirp my F1 GS D3s without a big effort. It's kind of fun Wider tires would stop that.

How heavy are those replicas anyway? Aren't they steel?

So...just some random thoughts. If you've got snowflakes, don't feel pressured. I'm with you.
Hope this doesn't provoke too many flames.

My Strano springs are on the way. I'll post before & after lowered with 16" snowflakes.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, one thing about keeping the snowflakes, they make your car look like a bit of a sleeper. Nobody really expects a car running 16" stockers to be modded much.

I think the reason so many people that normally do performance mods go for wheels is that they can make such a drastic difference in the look of a car. The stock wheel designs aren't bad, but IMO a 16" wheel just looks too small on these cars, they need a 17" to look right, and even then some 17's look small.

But if you're fine with the look of your car, no reason to get new wheels. First mod I made to my car was new wheels, but mine came with these gawdawful chrome 17x8's that looked like they came off a pimped out '90's Maxima. I HAD to get rid of them. But I went the stockish route and went with '02 WS6 Speedlines, which look terrific on my car (if I do say so myself) without being too flashy.

As far as those Z06's replicas, no they're aluminum. All those repro wheels are. And good call in not getting them, because IMO those are probably the ugliest wheel you see on these cars. I have no clue as to why they're so popular.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
But if you're fine with the look of your car, no reason to get new wheels.
+1

Don't think for a second that you have to impress anyone on this or any other website/forum/local hangout. Mod your car according to your taste and budget.

BTW.....Im rockin snowflakes for the sleeper look
Old 03-25-2011, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

As far as those Z06's replicas...IMO those are probably the ugliest wheel you see on these cars.
hahaha funny since those were the ones that I thought I might tolerate. Until I saw them on a VW Beetle and Ford Focus.

BTW.....Im rockin snowflakes for the sleeper look
Doesn't sound very sleeperish tho with cam & lts :-)
And now the lowering springs should (I hope) spoil the sleeper look too.

Thanks for not flaming me guys.