Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Hoosier A6 on the Street?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Hoosier A6 on the Street?

Wondering if anyone has any experience street driving these tires. I'm not looking to have this turn into a lecture about not driving slicks in the rain - I'm aware of the implications. I want to know how the behave on the street, how they hook up, and longevity.

I'm also curious about the 'not intended for highway use' that Hoosier has on their website. Is this because of the dangers of getting stuck in the rain, or does it have to do with the sidewall strength and that they strong enough to run on the street?

Any insight or feedback is much appreciated.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seeing how they only last around 50-70 autocross runs , average run around 45seconds. I dont see them lasting very long on the street. plus they are not as puncture resistant as a street tire.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 AM
LS1Tech Platinum Sponsor

Not a good idea. Not only would they wear out in a few thousand miles but becuase of their super soft compound they are more puncture prone than street tires. Things like small rocks, staples ect that a normal tire would drive over and spit out get sucked up by the A6 and then you have flat tires. Of course they would also have very little hydroplanning resistance as you have already mentioned. These are a few reasons Hoosier does not recommend them for street use.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I street drove a set for ~4k miles with no issues.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rudytirerack
Not a good idea. Not only would they wear out in a few thousand miles but becuase of their super soft compound they are more puncture prone than street tires. Things like small rocks, staples ect that a normal tire would drive over and spit out get sucked up by the A6 and then you have flat tires. Of course they would also have very little hydroplanning resistance as you have already mentioned. These are a few reasons Hoosier does not recommend them for street use.
I have no issue with a few thousand miles or hydroplaning. I want tires that will hook. Bar none. It does make me worried if they are more puncture prone.

Looks like I'll be going with a set of R888s.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:06 PM
9 Second Club

I have run them and know others that also run them without problems, they hook pretty good.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ran them for a few hundred miles, although i run r888 now and prefer them for the street as they have better street characteristics, and just about same grip

Quick Reply: Hoosier A6 on the Street?